Financial Post - Market Data

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Financial Post - Market Data

Post by Taggart »

Is it only me, or are others not able to access the Market Data section of the Financial Post? I've been trying since last night.
bbsj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Financial Post - Market Data

Post by bbsj »

I also tried but could not see the data.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Taggart wrote:Is it only me, or are others not able to access the Market Data section of the Financial Post? I've been trying since last night.
James Hymas, on PrefBlog wrote:No details of block trades are given today – the usual data source has been 404ed and it appears that the Financial Post has not yet completed implementation of the new publication mechanism – either that, or I can’t figure out the easy-to-use intuitive interface!
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Many thanks Adrian2 and BBSJ. I'll just have to be patient and wait it out.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I just tried two of the many links at Market Data, and at least these two seem to be now working.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

The link I usually use isn't working. Maybe that's a good thing, since some of the information found under it was useless. For example, there was a page of forex rates that was locked at some point eons on the the past; they also had the Bank Of Canada rate wrong, but now that the BoC has raised, maybe it would be right again (like a stuck clock, and if the page was available).
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

IdOp wrote:The link I usually use isn't working. Maybe that's a good thing, since some of the information found under it was useless. For example, there was a page of forex rates that was locked at some point eons on the the past; they also had the Bank Of Canada rate wrong, but now that the BoC has raised, maybe it would be right again (like a stuck clock, and if the page was available).
I had to use their "site map" to find Market Data. That I can access. The old links, including the one on google, don't seem to work.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Taggart wrote:I had to use their "site map" to find Market Data. That I can access. The old links, including the one on google, don't seem to work.
Thanks Taggart, that's a good idea, but I'm having trouble with that way too:

If I go to http://www.financialpost.com/ and then click on Site Map, that also returns
National Post Websever(*) wrote:HTTP 404: File or directory not found.
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if their site is rapidly changing before reaching some kind of working stability?

(*) pun intended.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

IdOp wrote:
Taggart wrote:I had to use their "site map" to find Market Data. That I can access. The old links, including the one on google, don't seem to work.
Thanks Taggart, that's a good idea, but I'm having trouble with that way too:

If I go to http://www.financialpost.com/ and then click on Site Map, that also returns
National Post Websever(*) wrote:HTTP 404: File or directory not found.
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if their site is rapidly changing before reaching some kind of working stability?

(*) pun intended.
It may be like you're implying, an intermittent problem. Even though it was staring me right in the face, I hadn't noticed the site map at the top of the page. I'd been using the one at the very bottom, right hand side, whether or not that makes any difference. Anyhow, I tried both site maps this morning, and they do appear to be working right now. Keep my fingers crossed for you, when you give it a try.
$seeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by $seeker »

I did find Market Data but it looks like the FPX indexes Are not included
I use that to benchmark so will miss it.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

$seeker wrote:I did find Market Data but it looks like the FPX indexes Are not included
I use that to benchmark so will miss it.
You mean these ones at the top of the list? I was able to access them as well.
$seeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by $seeker »

OK , that is the spot :rofl: :rofl:
Made an appearance since yesterday when I spent too much time playing hide and seek with FP
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Taggart wrote:Even though it was staring me right in the face, I hadn't noticed the site map at the top of the page. I'd been using the one at the very bottom, right hand side, whether or not that makes any difference.
Thanks for pointing that out, I had only noticed the first one. So there are two different Site Maps on the page, one is for Financial Post, and I find it does not work, and the other is for National Post and it is working.

However, coming back to market data, I see there is now a link on the financialpost.com main site Market Data which goes to a loadable page which seems to contain the usual data. The URL of this link is now

Code: Select all

http://www.financialpost.com/markets/data/
which has changed from the old one I'd been using, which was

Code: Select all

http://www.financialpost.com/markets/market-data/
On the Market Data page, there is still wrong info. For example, under Canadian and U.S. Bank Rates, it now says the BoC rate is 0.75%, while it really is 0.50%. So they raised their originally wrong rate by 0.25%. :) At the moment I can't find the stale currencies, but I'll post a link if I stumble across it.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Yesterday I was using the National Post market data site to update some weekly indices etc. The pages were loading very fast; turns out they're now being served gzip'ed where applicable. :thumbsup:

Now if only GlobeInvestor would catch onto this, we might be getting somewhere.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Once again the FP's website is a day behind. It's playing havoc with my record keeping. :lol:

BTW, anyone have the Scotia (PCBond) Long index value for 31 May? I was travelling and missed it.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

IdOp wrote:Now if only GlobeInvestor would catch onto this, we might be getting somewhere.
It seems pages from GlobeInvestor are now compressed. :thumbsup: Although data from investdb.theglobeandmail.com is still not.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Once again the FP's website is a day behind. It's playing havoc with my record keeping. :lol:
Even the dividend data stops with June 23rd. Financial cutbacks?
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Post by Taggart »

Whenever I could I would check the markets data section at the Financial Post for any Canadian company dividend increases for that day or on a Friday for the past week. I noticed last evening that the Financial Post seems to have changed their online format and I can no longer see any list of dividend increases there. Anyone else able to find the data in there somewhere?
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Time to bump this topic again, as there seem to have been changes at FP.

For years I've been using the Financial Post Market Data page as a convenient place for certain values, such as short-term interest rates, and also as the go-to place for FPX index values.

Now when I go to the page the old info is gone and there's a bunch of junk. First noticed this last Saturday. A web search hasn't turned up much. Google links are to stale pages too.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is the old info just gone, or somewhere else? Do you have to register and sign in to get it? Thanks for any pointers.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

https://www.croftgroup.com/croft_benchm ... rmance.php shows FPX indexes. Move the cursor over the line to get the closing value.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

For the last few months I'd been getting dividend data just by doing an internet search for "Financial Post dividends", but now that doesn't seem to work anymore. Very frustrating since that was my main data source.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Shakespeare wrote: 17 Nov 2017 22:34 https://www.croftgroup.com/croft_benchm ... rmance.php shows FPX indexes. Move the cursor over the line to get the closing value.
Thanks, that's a helpful link. That page also links a CSV file with all historical values, though it only appears to be updated monthly.

ADDED: The performance graph only goes to 2017-Oct-31 also, and the end date won't accept anything later. So it seems the CSV has the same info, and I find it easier to get and use.
RBull
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBull »

Taggart wrote: 18 Nov 2017 03:50 For the last few months I'd been getting dividend data just by doing an internet search for "Financial Post dividends", but now that doesn't seem to work anymore. Very frustrating since that was my main data source.
I wrote to them. They are "in process" of changing their data provider and experiencing problems. They are workingon it but there is no timetable for a resolution.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

RBull wrote: 19 Nov 2017 16:08
Taggart wrote: 18 Nov 2017 03:50 For the last few months I'd been getting dividend data just by doing an internet search for "Financial Post dividends", but now that doesn't seem to work anymore. Very frustrating since that was my main data source.
I wrote to them. They are "in process" of changing their data provider and experiencing problems. They are workingon it but there is no timetable for a resolution.
Thanks for the update RBull. Will keep an eye on the FP website from time to time.
RBull
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBull »

Taggart wrote: 19 Nov 2017 17:26
RBull wrote: 19 Nov 2017 16:08
Thanks for the update RBull. Will keep an eye on the FP website from time to time.
You're welcome.