Capital Power (CPX-T)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Capital Power (CPX-T)

Post by 2 yen »

To answer one of my own questions about natural gas prices and power company results, this article about Capital Power's recent quarter is interesting.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business ... =3e40-beb2
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Opened below a 52-week low. Possibly concern about NDP government and shutdown of coal plants?
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I've been buying at these levels. I'm sure the market is unsure, but the current group in management have (so far) demonstrated an ability to anticipate risks. As much as the NDP wants to do this and that they can't just shut them down entirely. Earnings might not be as robust as if the PC's had been elected, but so far I'm happy to stay the course with a 7% yield on cost.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

CPX recommended by Yield Hog (behind the G&M paywall):

A 6.8 per cent dividend yield that's actually safe - The Globe and Mail

Note the part of the hyperlink that says "capital-powers-high-yield-is-safer-than-it-looks".

As always, YMMV.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

After 2008 no dividend is completely safe. That being said I continue to hold the company and like it long-term. Best move of 2016-2017 was overweighting this position back under $18
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Hey man, you heard it on FWR first,

Capital Power wins a contract from the Government of Alberta under the REP (Renewable Electricity Program)

https://www.aeso.ca/market/renewable-el ... 1-results/
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Already own CU, EMA, and FTS so not saying I'll ever buy it, but with this very recent interesting article from John Heinzl, I've finally added Capital Power to my watch list under electrical utilities.

Why Capital Power's dividend just went up - again
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Canaccord got me into this one in 2011 for $26.3 and I have been underwater most of that time but held on because of the good payout and the hope of an eventual recovery in Alberta. With Transmountain and Keystone still years away, it is still a long term hold.
For the fun of it...Keith
Davis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davis »

I looked into this on the basis of Heinzl's recommendation. From what I understand, Capital has a diversified portfolio, and makes a big deal of its renewable portfolio, and about transitioning from coal to nat gas and renewables. However, coal is a big part of its fleet, and it is going to be a long transition. Capital will continue burning coal until at least 2030, or even as long as 2040. This matters to me, so I won't be investing. I have another utility that acquired some coal plants after I bought it, and I'm living with that, but Capital just has too much coal for my liking.