Shaw Communications (Symbol-SJR.B)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Shaw Communications (Symbol-SJR.B)

Post by zinfit »

I had these channels for 6 years. A second rate comparison to HBO. 9 out 10 their movies are third rate productions that never made it into a movie theatre. I cancelled it two months ago and don't miss it in the slightest.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

Shaw isn't in the game when it comes to cell phones and tablets. That is a big part of the story with the telcos and Rogers. Apple sold 8 million i-pods this past quarter. BCE and Rogers would have the lion's share in Canada. Ditto for the other smart phones and handheld devices.
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

zinfit wrote:Corus is better then CTV, G&M,BNN AND TSN? I guess I am biased in the sense that I regularly read the G&M on the net and watch BNN and TSN probably more then all the other channels combined. If the competitors want this content they will to pay BCE for the content.
I said the shaw family media assets are the best inthe country (shaw media + corus), as they are far bigger, diverse etc. They own a tonne of stuff.

Mind you I spend my time watching BNN as well, but I would bet the slice network has more viewers...
abose
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abose »

Shaw Kills Cell Plans Opts for WIFI

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Shaw. Not able to formulate a viable wireless plan, apparently they are now going to fart around trying to build a WIFFY network while Telus eats their lunch? Good luck with that.

I am being overly cynical?
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

I am being overly cynical?
Not sure really.

It seems Shaw has retreated from some ground but may well be setting up for urban WiFi users - given that over 80% of Canadians live in urban spaces, and Shaw sees something new -this could be a wise shift in their business model.

In a way, as many people became annoyed with mutual fund fees and shifted to index funds, a move to WiFi could introduce a new costing model and entice people into a better and cost effective service.

We all know we are being robbed to a degree with old networks and hidden monopolies. Shaw might just be ahead of the game.

I also wonder if the acquisition of the Can West Global assets have yet to be factored into Shaw's stock price?

One can realize over a 4% yield while waiting for Shaw to shift to WiFi and find a revenue stream there, or be taken out by one of the big three...seems better than a bond.
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

I gotta respect the guys, saw the investment and the return and just didnt see it working out.

Logically, I think once the window opens up they will buy up one of the successful start ups, add in their spectrum and add to their portfolio...seems a safe bet, although not sexy.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Haven't really been following this thread, 'cause we don't own that many SJR.B, (bought what we have in early 2008), but just noticed we're currently up 22.36% on them...and we get a div. :)
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

mpav wrote:Logically, I think once the window opens up they will buy up one of the successful start ups, add in their spectrum and add to their portfolio...seems a safe bet, although not sexy.
A potentially logical conclusion... perhaps. But noting the marketing campaign they have now started on WiFi, I would love to have Shaw WiFi available (at minimal cost) in a wide range of places for my iPad where I cannot currently log on to Shaw WiFi and turf the Rogers 3G $15 month-to-month plan I am on.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

AltaRed wrote:...log on to Shaw WiFi and turf the Rogers 3G $15 month-to-month plan I am on.
How much would you pay for that privilege?
For the fun of it...Keith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

kcowan wrote:
AltaRed wrote:...log on to Shaw WiFi and turf the Rogers 3G $15 month-to-month plan I am on.
Good question. Would be worth maybe $5/month to me. Not any more than that because I'd still need to buy the Rogers 3G plan when out of reach of Shaw WiFi, e.g. to use my iPad as a GPS when travelling.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

AltaRed wrote:I'd still need to buy the Rogers 3G plan when out of reach of Shaw WiFi
Indeed.

Shaw is taking a big gamble, in my opinion. It may work out very well, or it may leave Shaw badly exposed.

The conventional wisdom in the industry is that, to be more than a niche player, a supplier must offer four-way bundles -- wireline telephony, Internet access, TV and mobile. Shaw will try a three-and-a-quarter bundle. Maybe the conventional wisdom will turn out wrong.

The other well-accepted trend (which of course may turn out to be dead wrong) is that mobile platforms will be the basis of future telecommunications, as people increasingly cur the cord (and the cable). Will WiFi be sufficient if this turns out to be true? Dunno. Perhaps Shaw will have to expand its WiFi coverage. But at some point, it might be better just to build a complete network.

The alternative is for Shaw to resell someone else's mobile services. But previous developments suggest that you really have to own (or co-own) your own network to have sufficient control in the long run. I kind of expected Shaw to team up with Videotron and other new vendors to jointly build a network. Wrong again...

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

AltaRed wrote:
kcowan wrote:
Good question. Would be worth maybe $5/month to me. Not any more than that because I'd still need to buy the Rogers 3G plan when out of reach of Shaw WiFi, e.g. to use my iPad as a GPS when travelling.
And that $5 would be only to reduce extra billing that you incur on your Rogers data plan (unless you place a big premium on speed).
For the fun of it...Keith
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

The alternative is for Shaw to resell someone else's mobile services. But previous developments suggest that you really have to own (or co-own) your own network to have sufficient control in the long run. I kind of expected Shaw to team up with Videotron and other new vendors to jointly build a network. Wrong again...

George[/quote]

Teaming up was my idea too, but I suspect they are just shifting to a 'purchase' mode...after a few years (and once the window is lifted) I bet we see them buying one of the upstarts...wind, public or someone like that.
kansai_92
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kansai_92 »

City WiFi works good in cities with very high density. My friend uses it in Hong Kong and the price is cheap.
Maybe this strategy will work for Shaw since they would only be servicing urban centers (lower cost per customer).
I know lots of folks who hardly ever leave the city.

I can also see this eating into the customer base of small phone carriers such as Wind and Mobilicity since they also only operate within their designated "zones".
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Trading under $20 today. Seems like the market does not like Shaw's business plan. I continue to struggle biting on any one of the Telcos/Cable companies (notwithstanding the once in a lifetime opportunity for Bhell when it shook off the takeover).
ThinkDividends
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ThinkDividends »

AltaRed wrote:Trading under $20 today. Seems like the market does not like Shaw's business plan.
The coach of the Winnipeg Jets is mad at them: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le2210787/
Shifty1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shifty1 »

AltaRed wrote:Trading under $20 today. Seems like the market does not like Shaw's business plan. I continue to struggle biting on any one of the Telcos/Cable companies (notwithstanding the once in a lifetime opportunity for Bhell when it shook off the takeover).
Agreed, I don't hold any of these companies currently. Need to wait to see the eventual fallout of what I believe will be the decimation of cable TV revenue, as the masses switch to internet content. Myself and quite a few friends now don't have cable at all, just no point anymore. Young and savvy people know how to get what they want for entertainment without spending $100/month for cable.

Maybe these companies will recoup some lost revenue in the form of higher internet usage by subscribers, but I still am thinking a net loss.
kenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenwood »

I notice share price has been going up on higher than average volume in the past 4-5 days. I couldn't find any recent news on the company. Anyone wants to speculate on what is behind the recent price movement?
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Posted from GIO via ShawSecure wi fi. http://shaw.ca/wifi/
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Shaw paid $25.5-million to retired CEO: documents

Other People's Money - there's nothing like it.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The relentless rise of Shaw Communications' executive pay
Shaw Communications (SJR.B-T19.66-0.05-0.25%) means excessively generous executive compensation.
I now intend to sell all Shaw after the tax-selling season is over. This company's primary interest appears to be in enriching the Shaw family, not "B" stockholders.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Shaw Communications (SJR.B-T19.66-0.05-0.25%) means excessively generous executive compensation.
I now intend to sell all Shaw after the tax-selling season is over. This company's primary interest appears to be in enriching the Shaw family, not "B" stockholders.
Yes, it's disgusting. :x All of my shares of Shaw are part of XIC, so I suppose I have about $260 invested in Shaw. Would like to sell divest myself of Shaw on principle, but cannot without selling the index; one of the disadvantages of passive investing, I suppose. :|
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Shakespeare wrote: I now intend to sell all Shaw after the tax-selling season is over. This company's primary interest appears to be in enriching the Shaw family, not "B" stockholders.
Just as your primary interest should be to enrich Shakespeare. It shouldn’t matter how the Shaw family makes out as long s the stock performs up to your expectations.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

It shouldn’t matter how the Shaw family makes out as long as the stock performs up to your expectations
The recent actions of the leaders of this firm would make one question whether it would be a good investment going forward.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Shakespeare wrote: I now intend to sell all Shaw after the tax-selling season is over. This company's primary interest appears to be in enriching the Shaw family, not "B" stockholders.
It's beginning to look a lot like Magna...

:?
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830