Shaw Communications (Symbol-SJR.B)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Shaw Communications (Symbol-SJR.B)

Post by Insomniac »

Shaw bill just arrived. Rate for internet goes up $4 effective Jan 1, 2015. Rate increase about twice the rate of inflation, but they have us over barrel with no alternative high speed service available here. :x

I guess this makes Shaw a good investment - they can't lose.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Starting on March 6, 2017, the following services currently included with your Internet plan are being retired:

Members.shaw.ca
Webspace
Photo Share
Video Mail
Received Dec 13, 2016

No compensating price adjustment. I guess I will be shopping.
For the fun of it...Keith
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Insomniac wrote:they have us over barrel with no alternative high speed service available here.
Not sure where you are located, but many places in Canada should see some level of competition starting next year. The CRTC has ordered the incumbents to allow new entrants to use the incumbents' networks to reach customers (the expensive last mile and all that). Now they are haggling taking a reasoned look at the price the incumbents can charge for this "wholesale access".

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chufinora »

I got an email telling me my internet bill was going down $2 a month starting January - I am with TekSavvy. Didn't ask them just came out of the blue - never seen that before!
It relates to what George said - quoted from the email
We’re happy to be able to offer better value as a result of a change in one of our key costs of supply, wholesale network access. We connect our own network up to incumbents’ last-mile accesses, where they exist, in order to serve you. A recent CRTC decision, known as Telecom Order CRTC 2016-396, made interim corrections to the price ceiling that incumbents are permitted to charge for wholesale access to last-mile access
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

ghariton wrote:
Insomniac wrote:they have us over barrel with no alternative high speed service available here.
Not sure where you are located, but many places in Canada should see some level of competition starting next year. The CRTC has ordered the incumbents to allow new entrants to use the incumbents' networks to reach customers (the expensive last mile and all that). Now they are haggling taking a reasoned look at the price the incumbents can charge for this "wholesale access".

George
Yes, Teksavvy is here now. I phoned Shaw threatening to switch; they lowered my bill and upped my speed.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

I fear shaw cancelling their web hosting may result in the loss of a few customers. There are those out there hanging onto their accounts web because you can't easily redirect your website elsewhere.

One would think they could contract out the maintenance of webspace elsewhere... I guess they seemed a redirect and contract too difficult...

In my opinion, Shaw isn't managing their Wind acquisition very well: trying to charge first-rate network rates and limits on a second-rate network. I dealt with it for the low prices, but i couldn't imagine signing up today. I switched over 3 lines to Public Mobile during their promo, encouraged another and countless others indirectly.
Insomniac wrote: Yes, Teksavvy is here now. I phoned Shaw threatening to switch; they lowered my bill and upped my speed.
Yabbut, when has Shaw ever lowered your bill *without* asking? :rofl:

This is why I like using independents (and in a similar way, amazon) for some of my internet service needs: every year, they find ways to *lower* their costs and pass it on to me.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I know I am leaving them. Have you found an easy transition for webspace? That is my biggest problem!

I can spend a year migrating all my email addresses (I use outlook.com) but will probably use google/Thunderbird.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

I've moved my tiny network of websites to Amazon S3. It's just a set of static files (probably like Shaw webspace). Bandwidth costs for ~4k visitors per month is about 17 cents US. Your first year will probably be free. Reliability is never an issue. They find ways to reduce their prices once or twice a year. And I have no doubts about their corporate sustainability (financial, not environmental).

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/lat ... sting.html
https://blog.hartleybrody.com/static-site-s3/

My biggest "expense" for Amazon is the 50 cents/domain/month for DNS, but it sounds like I could use Cloudflare and this would be free? And the costs for the domains themselves.

Otherwise, a $3.95-$6/month account from Hostpapa or Bluehost (or a friend that has one) for ease-of-use. Or one of these: http://alignedleft.com/resources/cheap-web-hosting

But as for the redirects... best bet might be to put up a notice on the old site while you can that eventually refreshes to the new page. I doubt you'll be able to do a 301 redirect at the webserver level.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold Shaw some time ago. No plans to rebuy.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Shakespeare wrote:Sold Shaw some time ago. No plans to rebuy.
Same. I enjoyed the monthly dividend, but it simply wasn't worth my capital at this time. I had long thought it would be a takeover candidate for Rogers (and maybe will be in the future). I just got tired of not seeing a value stimulus or the necessary growth prospects. Wind may provide that, but it was also very expensive in my opinion. I felt scale might finally start to hurt them by getting squeezed by the big 3 above and all the start ups below. Still a good monthly payer, but it was time for me to move on.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Woof, isn't shaw one of the Dogs of the TSX this year 2017?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Yep. Using the "no former trusts" screen we get

Inter Pipeline IPL-T
BCE Inc. BCE-T
Emera Inc. EMA-T
Pembina Pipeline Corp. PPL-T
CIBC CM-T
TELUS Corp. T-T
Power Corp of Canada POW-T
Shaw Communications SJR.B-T
National Bank of Canada NA-T
Bank of Nova Scotia BNS-T
Fortis Inc. FTS-T
Enbridge Inc. ENB-T
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I own all but the trusts but I have them in ZEO no Shaw cause I have Telus and Bce. Oops don't directly own POW but I own PWF, GWO and IGM close enough.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Anecdotal information:

My nephew, who is on Shaw and has worked with computers since leaving tech school, tells me that Shaw appears to be throttling his cable and his node may be overloaded. Yesterday and today I put an SSD in my neighbour's laptop and did several downloads via Shaw. I also saw throttling, and told my neighbour that if I had his internet response I would switch to Telus the next day. To be fair, the throttling could have been upstream from Shaw.

If Shaw isn't putting enough money into expanding their nodes, they are going to lose customers.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Shakespeare wrote:if I had his internet response I would switch to Telus the next day. To be fair, the throttling could have been upstream from Shaw.
What could be upstream from Shaw. That would also throttle Teksavvy!
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The source could limit speed.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Shakespeare wrote:The source could limit speed.
That is what the "free" streaming websites are doing.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

kcowan wrote:
Yes, but I was downloading programs as part of a W10 reinstallation - the HP printer driver, for example. I found it would stop after a few seconds (each 10%) and if I hit pause and redownload it would continue. So somebody was throttling somewhere.

This happened with several programs.

[I was installing an SSD in a 4yo laptop upgraded from W8 to W10 that took several minutes to boot.]
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Shakespeare wrote:
kcowan wrote:
Yes, but I was downloading programs as part of a W10 reinstallation - the HP printer driver, for example. I found it would stop after a few seconds (each 10%) and if I hit pause and redownload it would continue. So somebody was throttling somewhere.

This happened with several programs.
A friend has signed up for unlimited streaming of TV services. He has found the CNN is often overloaded and features "stop and go" TV. It seems that TV sourced websites are not robust enough to supply sustained performance, unlike Netflix which makes money from the streaming.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Not sure if this has any effect on the stock, but....

Jim Shaw has died.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/j ... -1.4472210
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

There will be more cash for shareholder dividends.....
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

AltaRed wrote: 03 Jan 2018 22:01 There will be more cash for shareholder dividends.....
Probably not much. His wife will continue to get most of his 600 k a year pension. The rest of the family will likely take the rest as salary increases. :shock:
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

From another topic ...
AltaRed wrote: 17 Dec 2018 22:05
snowback96 wrote: 17 Dec 2018 21:17
AltaRed wrote: 17 Dec 2018 20:56 What true and mature business pays monthly dividends that never was an income trust?
Shaw Communications. LOL.
Utterly amazing but interesting. Wonder why they think it is worth the administrative costs.
My guess is the Shaw family wants their income stream paid monthly, administrative costs be damned. Past history with their generous (egregious?) pension plans for family members has demonstrated their viewpoint on managing the company for the shareholders, NOT! This company is a prime example of the drawbacks on dual-class share structures.

For some fun reading, check out After former CEO's death, is Shaw's executive pension plan fully funded? - The Globe and Mail
Globe and Mail wrote:Another legacy of Mr. Shaw's tenure, however, was a massive pension, generated by a compensation plan that racked up hundreds of millions of dollars in obligations to just a handful of executives. Shaw Communications' board chose in 2010, as Mr. Shaw left the chief executive job at the age of 53, to pay him an annual pension of nearly $6-million. At the end of August, 2011 – the most recent pension data available on Mr. Shaw – the obligation to him, alone, was $85.1-million, likely the largest single amount owed to a plan member.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Thank you. I have always hated this company due to their egregious raiding for family benefit. All family controlled companies likely cater to the family in varying amounts but I know of no other company that treats non-voting shareholders so poorly. I'd never own the stock out of principle.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom