Dividend and distribution hikes - 2008

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

BT maintained their interim dividend.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a dividend hike :D
Dividend Growth Investor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dividend Growth Investor »

Jay,

If that's what you think then GE's affirming that their dividend is stable is also a dividend hike :-)

Nice turnaround today.. A lot of shorts who were preying on more downside got burned
http://www.dividendgrowthinvestor.com/
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Just kidding, man. In this market, reassuring forward guidance and a committment to the dividend is pretty good news, IMHO. We seem to be satisfied, for instance, that the Canadian bank dividends are secure. Any hikes will be regarded as some kind of Christmas bonus!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

ADP's dividend increase got a mention in Barron's, Welcome Dividend Payout Exceptions
DIVIDEND CUTS AND OMISSIONS ARE THE RULE, not the exception, these days. But there still are significant payout enrichments to be found, such as those announced last week by Automatic Data Processing (ticker: ADP), Baxter International (BAX) and Pharmaceutical Product Development (PPDI).
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Don't see these very often, a company announces an extra dividend. The Fastenal Company of Winona, MN (Nasdaq: FAST - News) reported its Board of Directors declared a special one-time dividend of $.27 per share be paid in cash on December 15, 2008 to shareholders of record at the close of business on December 5, 2008.
I've been studying this stock for potential purchase. My initial view is it is a boring company in a boring industry that just keeps on making money. I'll likely start a new topic soon to discuss my views on Fastenal (FAST).
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

OH, I don't know P.I. RUS paid a special dividend last quarter.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

NGG (National Grid) increases the interim dividend by 8%, and also confirms the company's intention to raise it by 8% in each of the next 4 years.

Can't copy from the PDF file, but the news is out there, or at investor relations on NGG's homepage.

Rock 'n roll Hootchie Koo,
Lordie Mamma, Light my fuse! :D
m1ax
Contributor
Contributor

Post by m1ax »

Press Release Source: Olympia Financial Group Inc.

Olympia Financial Group Inc. - Trading Symbol: OLY (TSX-V) - Dividends increase by 50%
Friday November 21, 12:12 pm ET

CALGARY, Nov. 21 /CNW/ -

For the nine-month period ended, September 30
---------------------------------------------
2008 2007
---- ----

Revenue $22,431,716 $18,183,334
Pre-tax earnings 5,747,966 5,024,996
Diluted earnings per share 1.61 1.36

According to the Financial Post, Olympia Financial Group Inc. has the number 6 spot in Canada for dividend growth in the last 5 years. On November 20th, Olympia Financial Group Inc., parent company of Olympia Trust Company, announced that its board of directors has approved its 7th consecutive dividend increase effective for the quarterly dividend payable on January 31, 2009.

The board of directors has increased the quarterly dividend by 50% to $0.45 per share from $0.30 per share.

Olympia Financial Group Inc. is a non-deposit taking trust company operating in the four western provinces. It has four business units comprising of marketing and managing health and dental plans for small business, providing corporate transfer services to public and private companies, providing self directed registered plans administration and foreign exchange services.

The company has applied for its Federal Charter that, if received, would allow it to operate across Canada.

The Company has no sub-prime market investments and will therefore not experience any asset deterioration due to sub-prime market exposure.
Another day, another dollar...
m1ax
Contributor
Contributor

Post by m1ax »

Donaldson Company Increases Quarterly Dividend 5 Percent
Friday November 21, 2:00 pm ET

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Donaldson Company, Inc. (NYSE: DCI - News), announced today that its Board of Directors has increased the quarterly common stock cash dividend by 5 percent, marking the 23rd consecutive year of dividend increases.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Board declared a regular cash dividend of 11.5 cents per share, payable December 19th to shareholders of record as of December 5th. As of October 31st, there were approximately 76,900,000 shares outstanding. The current declaration is the 213th consecutive quarterly cash dividend paid by Donaldson over a time span of 53 years.

About Donaldson Company, Inc.

Donaldson is a leading worldwide provider of filtration systems that improve people’s lives, enhance our Customers’ equipment performance, and protect our environment. We are a technology-driven company committed to satisfying our Customers’ needs for filtration solutions through innovative research and development, application expertise, and global presence. Our 13,000 employees contribute to the Company’s success by supporting our Customers at our more than 100 sales, manufacturing, and distribution locations around the world.

Donaldson is a member of the S&P MidCap 400 and Russell 1000 indices, and our shares trade on the NYSE under the symbol DCI. Additional information is available at www.donaldson.com.
Another day, another dollar...
Dividend Growth Investor
Contributor
Contributor

BDX ups qtr dividends by 15.8% to $0.33/Share

Hormel Foods (HRL) Raises Annual Dividend to $0.76/Share from 0.74
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Enbridge Inc. (Toronto:ENB.TO - News) (NYSE:ENB - News) today announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.37 per common share payable on March 1, 2009 to shareholders of record on February 16, 2009. The dividend reflects a 12% increase from the Company's prior quarterly rate of $0.33 per share.
Seems dividend increases are pretty rare nowadays. :roll:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Stryker Increases Annual Dividend by Over 20%
KALAMAZOO, Mich., Dec. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Stryker (NYSE: SYK - News) announced today that the Board of Directors has declared a year-end cash dividend of forty cents per share, an increase of 21% over the thirty-three cent dividend declared in December 2007. The dividend is payable January 30, 2009 to shareholders of record at the close of business on December 31, 2008.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Enbridge Inc. (Toronto:ENB.TO - News) (NYSE:ENB - News) today announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.37 per common share payable on March 1, 2009 to shareholders of record on February 16, 2009. The dividend reflects a 12% increase from the Company's prior quarterly rate of $0.33 per share.
This is terrible news!

I was just gearing up to make a stealth purchase of ENB and was hoping for one of those panic "sell all stocks" days in order to get some. As it is, ENB has crept up and out of buy range again :(
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

ENB: I'm interested too, but will hold out for a minimum yield of over 4% or a lot south of $37.

Cheers

Or maybe another play: ENB-N LO <$30, $1.18 div, yield over 4% less tax for NRs. The 5% tax difference is significant, I think.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

That might be an option, sensei, but I am wary of buying USD right now.

Just a thought: would ENB-N not be taxed at 15%? It is, after all, a Canadian company, even though it trades on the NYSE. I haven't tried that one yet, buying Canadian shares on a US exchange.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

JaydoubleU wrote:This is terrible news!
I've been waiting patiently too for something under $33. Eventually I'll switch out my ENB pref's for the common, but the common are still too expensive despite the raise in the dividend.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Fortis, $0.25->$0.26. Also a DRIP discount.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Shakespeare wrote:Fortis, $0.25->$0.26.
Every little bit helps!

In 2008 I have enjoyed 10 dividend increases in 9 of 14 Canadian stocks/trusts and 5 dividend increases in 5 of 7 US/European stocks. :D

In hindsight, when you look at what the market has done the above is amazing.

[Added] That doesn't include 3 additional increases in stocks I no longer own, but benefitted from the increase.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Dividend Growth Investor
Contributor
Contributor

For all canadian investors, i think that BCE initiating a dividend again is a positive factor. Speaking of telco's, Att increased their div by 2.5% to 0.41/quarter.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

Realty Income (O) increased its dividends modestly and has increased dividends in 5 of the last 12 months. It pays monthly.

Cheers