Davis and Henderson units (Symbol-DHF.UN)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
petfiora
Contributor
Contributor

Davis and Henderson units (Symbol-DHF.UN)

Post by petfiora »

My stock broker advises me to sell all of my bce and invest in dhf.un.
Does anyone have any opinion about this trust unit.
I have never heard of it .
Broker says the returns are better than bce's . I can't find what this co. deals in.
Any info would be appreciated.
This involves about 30Gs.
Opinions please.
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Davis + Henderson Income Fund (Davis + Henderson) owns 100% of Davis + Henderson, Limited Partnership (Davis + Henderson L.P.), Filogix Limited Partnership (Filogix or Filogix L.P.), Filogix Inc. and Advanced Validation Systems Limited Partnership (AVS or AVS L.P.) through its investment in an intermediary trust, D + H Holdings Trust (Holdings Trust). Through integrated service offerings, Davis + Henderson provides programs to customers who offer checking account and lending services within Canada. Davis + Henderson operates two business segments: the Davis + Henderson segment and the Filogix segment. The Davis + Henderson segment includes the check supply program, deposit program, eSwitch and the personal property search and registration programs, among other offerings. The Filogix Segment includes services related to the origination and underwriting of mortgages in Canada, among other offerings.

http://www.dhltd.com

Hope this helps. I haven't looked at it in over a year, not sure why I stopped following to be honest. The numbers seem solid, ROE ROA Margins P/E etc. I'm not sure exactly how much of their business involves mortgages and lending.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Bought some for $10.42 in May 2002.......getting 17.66% based on cost price, and continue to be happy with it.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

This is a recent addition to my portfolio. The main business of the company is cheque printing of which they have more-or-less a monopoly here in Canada. They are not in the mortgage lending business, they are in the mortgage origination business which is putting together the lenders with those seeking financing (for a fee ;)).
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Magenta
Newcomer
Newcomer

Filogix

Post by Magenta »

We use Filogix technology to accept loan applications from mortgage brokers. Filogix is paid a small percentage of the dollar volume of loans that we fund via their system. Firstline (CIBC), Scotia, ING, TD, AGF, and most of the big players in the Canadian mortgage market are also using Filogix and are probably paying Filogix that same percentage of their funded deals each month. Based on their extensive reach into the Canadian mortgage market, they will continue to have that income even with increased online banking (and decreased cheque printing).
arthur
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by arthur »

I sold this one prior to the October Massacre and haven't looked at it since, predictable business, steady income, but I would be buying O&G Trusts right now, lots of ca$h to be distributed

.Ask your Broker what is wrong with PFE with its' great yield, and it will come back into favour or merge.

XTR is my main holding of trusts.
You want the truth, you want the truth, you can't handle the truth.

The masses have never thirsted for the truth, whoever supplies them with illusions is their master, whoever supplies them with the truth, their victim.

If you do not risk anything , you risk even more. Jong
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

arthur wrote:Ask your Broker what is wrong with PFE with its' great yield, and it will come back into favour or merge.
I bet you'll get a very intelligent answer :wink:.
arthur
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by arthur »

PFE is up over 1% today on over 65,000,000 shares, guess the word is out.

Yield is still about 7% ,PLUS it does give you $U.S Exposure.
You want the truth, you want the truth, you can't handle the truth.

The masses have never thirsted for the truth, whoever supplies them with illusions is their master, whoever supplies them with the truth, their victim.

If you do not risk anything , you risk even more. Jong
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

scomac wrote:This is a recent addition to my portfolio. The main business of the company is cheque printing of which they have more-or-less a monopoly here in Canada. They are not in the mortgage lending business, they are in the mortgage origination business which is putting together the lenders with those seeking financing (for a fee ;)).
Would not the use of cheques be a rapidly declining business?
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

biker wrote: Would not the use of cheques be a rapidly declining business?
That was a concern of mine based on the decline in use amongst consumers, yet my research uncovered that the bulk of D&H cheque business is with small to medium sized businesses and their usage of cheques isn't declining by any meaningful amount. D&H has a line of printer compatible cheques designed specifically to meet businesses needs. I still get cheques in the mail every quarter from my brokerage for USD dividend payments rather than a direct deposit as is the case with CAD dividends/distributions/interest.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Goofyboy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goofyboy »

I've always viewed DHF more as a IT outsourcing company to the financial industry. The physical cheques are interesting but I just can't see that part growing/not shrinking.
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

As I ranted in Soap Box, the price they charge is highway robbery but they're faaaaasssst.
I filled the on-line form and two days later they were in my mail box.
Just mail; not even through Purolator.

WW
twocentsworth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Davis and Henderson units (Symbol-DHF.UN)

Post by twocentsworth »

petfiora wrote:My stock broker advises me to sell all of my bce and invest in dhf.un.
This involves about 30Gs.
Hmmmmmm...BCE up.....DHF down.

Did you do the trade?
petfiora
Contributor
Contributor

two cents worth

Post by petfiora »

Thank God I kept bce but still bought some dhf.
Only time will tell about dhf.
beluga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beluga »

http://www.dhbrochure.com/dhltd/Davis_H ... esolve.pdf
DAVIS + HENDERSON AGREES TO ACQUIRE ALL OF THE
UNITS OF RESOLVE IN EXCHANGE FOR D+H UNITS

Code: Select all

Last:  	      	Change:  	      	Volume:  	      	4:17 PM ET
12.380 		-0.780 (-5.93%) 		498,626 		June 03, 2009
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DH Corp (DH.TO)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I couldn't find a topic that covered DH Corp, which is the former Davis + Henderson, so I'll add this here.

Vista Equity to buy Canadian fintech firm DH Corp. in $4.8-billion deal - The Globe and Mail
Globe and Mail wrote:Investment firm Vista Equity Partners said on Monday it would buy Canada’s DH Corp in a deal valued at $4.8-billion ($3.6-billion), in the latest sign of interest in companies specializing in financial technology.

<snip>

Vista offered $25.50 in cash for each DH Corp share, an 11 per cent premium to the stock’s Friday closing price.
Last mention of DH that I could find was here after a disasterous quarterly report.
Globe and Mail wrote:DH shares, which dropped to a record low last November, have since risen over 64 per cent in anticipation of an acquisition.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams