Globeinvestor Problems & Questions

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
active
Contributor
Contributor

Post by active »

Jesus, the tracker still works fine on my desktop with Firefox 3.0.4 but on my laptop Mozilla updated automatically to 3.0.5 and the tracker does not work any more.

Does anyone know how to fix that while keeping the Firefox update?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

active wrote:Jesus, the tracker still works fine on my desktop with Firefox 3.0.4 but on my laptop Mozilla updated automatically to 3.0.5 and the tracker does not work any more.

Does anyone know how to fix that while keeping the Firefox update?
I'll try and help but I'll need more information.

What OS are you running?

What Java Run-Time are you using? You may need to use Control Panel to find out.

Are you using Globe InvestorGold or TDW WebBroker Select? I believe that WebBroker Select uses the Globe InvestorGold engine just rebranded, but as I don't have Globe InvestorGold I cannot be sure.

Are you able to start Tracker directly from Firefox 3.0.x? I've never be able to start WebBroker Select directly from Firefox, it detects Firefox and won't start. I use IE Tab to allow me to run it within Firefox.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
active
Contributor
Contributor

Post by active »

It always hits you when you don't need it. I am trying to fly from Victoria to Ottawa tomorrow via Toronto and the weather is not cooperating.

Thanks for offering to help Peculiar, I reinstalled the update and did a cold start, and now it works again. That makes me happy.

FYI:

My Laptop is on XP Home Edition

I installed Java 6 update 11 and unchecked the Java Plug in 'next generation' option, as you had suggested above.

I use the Webbroker Select 'powered by Globeinvestor Gold'.

The Firefox is version 3.0.5 and I can go on Webbroker select with no problems and simply click on Tracker and it works fine again.
sayhey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

globe investor.com

Post by sayhey »

Whot hoppen here? I have a list of 40 something stocks and find moments ago all information has vanished. ie. The two left hand columns are intact, the stock name and symbol, but all the other info just has dashes in their columns. price,change,time etc all gone. Any thoughts pls.
sayhey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by sayhey »

investor99
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by investor99 »

This site has been really crappy technically lately. Is it me?
The best time to plant an Oak tree was twenty five years ago. The second best time is now.
--
http://themoneygardener.com/
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

investor99 wrote:This site has been really crappy technically lately. Is it me?
I was getting intermittent timeouts today to www.globeinvestor.com. No problems to other sites so maybe something is wrong with the site.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

investor99 wrote:This site has been really crappy technically lately. Is it me?
I'm not sure if its the IE I'm running, but I keep getting prompts about running scripts & very slow navigation around the site for a week or so
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

I haven't used the Tracker on WebBroker Select for a few months, and found that Tracker wouldn't load when I tried it today. WebBroker tech support suggested to revert back to Java Update 7. That didn't sound like a good solution, so I searched FWR and found the fix provided upthread by Peculiar_Investor, which worked perfectly. A belated thanks to Peculiar_Investor.
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

Was wondering if the YTD calculations includes dividend distributions ? If it doesn't I have been beating the index by 2.5% so far.
Gus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Gus »

zinfit wrote:Was wondering if the YTD calculations includes dividend distributions ? If it doesn't I have been beating the index by 2.5% so far.
I believe that all the Globe Investor period-to-date calculations include dividends and interest.

I base this mainly on what I have observed on days when dividends are paid. The help for the page is not that explicit on the subject of distributions.
About Period-to-date report: The Period-to-date report of Globe Portfolio provides information on how your portfolio has performed on a one-day, month-to-date (MTD) and year-to-date (YTD) basis. The report is updated once per trading day, at approximately 8 p.m. EST. For each of the three time periods, it shows the actual dollar return and the return on investment on a holding-by-holding basis and for the portfolio as a whole. For example, the two columns under MTD show how many dollars you have actually gained or lost since the last day of the previous month for each holding, and the return on investment for each.
I assume that "actual dollar return and return on investment" includes all distributions.

Maybe your portfolio isn't beating the index that well, after all... :wink:
Money ain't got no owners, just spenders. Omar Little
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

If you are correct I am dead even with the TSX60.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

I have a Stocklist on GlobeInvestor which I access from my desktop computer. How can I access the same Stocklist while travelling with my laptop? Can I simply copy the GlobeInvestor cookie from my desktop computer to my laptop cookie folder?
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

I doubt that you would be able to keep the Stocklist cookie up-to-date across different machines?

I use the Portfolio feature - and I have one I call "prospectives". The Portfolio feature is accessible from any machine.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Thanks pmj. Your suggestion to use the Portfolio feature worked fine.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Globeinvestor Problems & Questions

For those that were not aware of the phase out, Welcome, new Watchlist users. Goodbye, Stocklist and Fundlist - The Globe and Mail. I'm not a heavy user but so far the new Watchlist has performed better than the old Stocklist and I haven't had to worry about the dependence on cookies to keep things intact.

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:For those that were not aware of the phase out, Welcome, new Watchlist users. Goodbye, Stocklist and Fundlist - The Globe and Mail. I'm not a heavy user but so far the new Watchlist has performed better than the old Stocklist and I haven't had to worry about the dependence on cookies to keep things intact.
The announcement says nothing about GlobeInvestor - My Portfolio. Do we know if it will be affected?

I haven't had time to explore the new Watchlist :oops: - is it in a format that can be interrogated with an Excel query?
Peter

like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

pmj wrote:The announcement says nothing about GlobeInvestor - My Portfolio. Do we know if it will be affected?

I haven't had time to explore the new Watchlist :oops: - is it in a format that can be interrogated with an Excel query?
I haven't read anything about Portfolios being affected.

With regard to the Watchlist, about all you can do is an external web query and download the whole page. Excel cannot resolve it into tables. Myself, I gave up on GlobeInvestor when getting any web data for Excel and switched to Yahoo.

ltr
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

like_to_retire wrote:With regard to the Watchlist, about all you can do is an external web query and download the whole page. Excel cannot resolve it into tables. Myself, I gave up on GlobeInvestor when getting any web data for Excel and switched to Yahoo.

ltr
Thanks - I had that impression from an early review of the Watchlist. I use specific portfolios within My Portfolio as the source data for excel downloads. I haven't nailed dividends - but I haven't tried too hard 'cos they don't change too often.
Peter

DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

You can export Watchlists to Excel directly. Lots of data points. :)
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

I find that GlobeInvestorGold is really slow to download recently. i don't have any problem with sites like this forum and my banks. Any thoughts?
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

biker wrote:I find that GlobeInvestorGold is really slow to download recently. i don't have any problem with sites like this forum and my banks. Any thoughts?
Regular Globe Investor is also painfully slow at times lately. I would be miffed if I had to pay for it.

ltr
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Not very impressive according to Google's tools -- PageSpeed Insights for G&M vs PageSpeed Insights for FWF :ugeek:

biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

biker wrote:I find that GlobeInvestorGold is really slow to download recently. i don't have any problem with sites like this forum and my banks. Any thoughts?
I continue to have slow boot up of this site. A message appears stating
"globeinvestor.com is not responding due to a long running script".I have never had a message like this when clicking on any other sites......Any ideas as to what his means?
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

We get this when loading graphs on tmx site sometimes. I think is related to the amount of 'stuff' being loaded onto the webpage you are trying to view. Haven't tried to fix it as it is infrequent. We use IE9. Below is a link related to IE8. Have not tried this fix, so no promises that this will help. Could also try 'googling' your error message to see if a solution can be found.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... ef5be3aa7b