Globeinvestor Problems & Questions

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Delphi51
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Delphi51 »

Your stocklist resides in several cookies on your computer. If you have one of those anti-spyware programs that sees cookies as spyware, it will offer to delete them for you. Deleting your cookies in your browser settings or uninstalling your browser will accomplish the same thing.

In my opinion, the best way to look after your cookies is to view them in your browser and delete the ones from sites you don't want to remember anything about you. Do not delete anything with "Globe" or your bank name in the title.

It is possible to back up your cookies so you can restore them in the event of loss, or move them to another computer. Firefox keeps them in a folder inside C:\Documents and Settings\login name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles
Copy the entire profile folder to another location to make a backup; copy it back to restore.

Sorry, I don't know where Explorer stores cookies.
marcharry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marcharry »

Thanks -all my other g&m cookies are intact along with all my other cookies in firefox. But it is probably missing the stocklist one. Weird
Small Investor Activist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Small Investor Activist »

Tito pass the tissue :cry:
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Disappearance of Globe Investor Stock List

Post by par4 »

This past week-end with family visiting they decided I should be using Firefox rather than IE. What a surprise when I found my stocklist on Globe had disappeared. Firefox also mentioned that my TDWH was no longer secure. Luckily I found a way of reinstalling IE and Voila! everything was back to normal
Small Investor Activist
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone noticed Globeinvestor.com stock quote system never really works well :?: is there another free source of Canadian quotes and news.
bailey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bailey »

Happy Days wrote:Has anyone noticed Globeinvestor.com stock quote system never really works well :?: is there another free source of Canadian quotes and news.
www.tsx.com
uhoh
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Leaving GlobeinvestorGOLD

Post by uhoh »

I've decided to let my membership of GlobeGOLD lapse. I've got years and years of data that I'd like to download - I'm presuming there's no way to do this? I can't see one...but if there is, would appreciate some pointers!

(besides manually retyping everything, which ain't gonna happen)
(maybe I'll just note my gains and losses - i've not been tracking for several months anyway :shock:)

thanks
[i]It could be that the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning for others[/i] ~ [i]anon[/i]
lilbit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lilbit »

Hi Uh oh... what about using an external hard drive? Or, can you download all that to discs? I'm not the most technically accomplished, so maybe you already thought of that... :wink:
Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

I've got years and years of data that I'd like to download
Seems simple enough.

Just copy and paste the transactions page(s) into Excel. Then manipulate the data as you would with any spreadsheet data...

ltr
Small Investor Activist
Contributor
Contributor

I heard GlobeGold doesn't have money market rates. What is it good for?
Studebaker Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Studebaker Hawk »

Happy Days wrote:I heard GlobeGold doesn't have money market rates. What is it good for?
Since I'll get whacked if I call you a troll, I'll be nice - try googling globeinvestorgold, it's not hard, google doesn't bite, google is your friend.

Hits 1 and 2 should help.

Hey that wasn't so bad. I didn't call him a troll and I helped him. God, I feel wonderful. This could be the start of something. :lol:
Communication with old people is difficult as they feel superior to you and find difficulty in remembering anything.
uhoh
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by uhoh »

Studebaker Hawk wrote:Hey that wasn't so bad. I didn't call him a troll and I helped him. God, I feel wonderful. This could be the start of something. :lol:

I'm happy that I could be part of that.
Last edited by uhoh on 08 Nov 2008 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
[i]It could be that the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning for others[/i] ~ [i]anon[/i]
uhoh
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by uhoh »

Actually, I did try cutting and pasting to excel before I posted - and sadly, without perhaps knowing how to do it properly, all the data came in to one cell - which is not good as i've amassed years of little transactions.
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

uhoh wrote:Actually, I did try cutting and pasting to excel before I posted - and sadly, without perhaps knowing how to do it properly, all the data came in to one cell - which is not good as i've amassed years of little transactions.
I've had the same problem cutting and pasting into excel.
How about cut and paste to a word document then sort it after the fact. At least you'll get all the info you want before your subscription expires.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

and sadly, without perhaps knowing how to do it properly, all the data came in to one cell
Yeah, the way around that is this:

1. Go to the transactions page and select and edit/copy all the transactions (you can even grab the headers of each column too if you want).

2. Open a spreadsheet and select edit/Paste Special. The popup will let you select to paste as HTML code. Select that, and all the columns will be preserved onto your spreadsheet, but it will be in HTML. You can convert that to normal code as follows.........

3. Select and copy the entire section (that you just pasted on the spreadsheet), and again select Paste Special. Select Paste Values into your final destination where you want your data.

I just tried this with GlobeGold and it worked fine...

ltr
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

uhoh wrote:Actually, I did try cutting and pasting to excel before I posted - and sadly, without perhaps knowing how to do it properly, all the data came in to one cell - which is not good as i've amassed years of little transactions.
OK - I created a quick test using WebBroker Select, which I believe is the same backend as GlobeInvestorGold. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I entered a couple of transactions, see

I then selected them all and pasted into Excel 2003 and got this,

which appears to work properly.

Have I missed something here? I'm willing to do some more investigate, so PM me if you'd like to take this off-line.
uhoh
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by uhoh »

thanks !!

will give it a go :)
Michael D
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael D »

Try 'paste special' in Excel, then 'paste values'. You could also save the HTML and then edit the table in Excel to convert it.

Agreed, it would be best to be able to export your data to a .csv file.
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Cool. I think I'll give that a try.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Studebaker Hawk wrote:
Happy Days wrote:I heard GlobeGold doesn't have money market rates. What is it good for?
Since I'll get whacked if I call you a troll, I'll be nice - try googling globeinvestorgold, it's not hard, google doesn't bite, google is your friend.

Hey that wasn't so bad. I didn't call him a troll and I helped him. God, I feel wonderful. This could be the start of something. :lol:
:thumbsup:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Studebaker Hawk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Studebaker Hawk »

parvus wrote:
Studebaker Hawk wrote:

First uhoh and now you. I'm touched. If I can stop saying he's a troll, maybe I can stop thinking it.
Communication with old people is difficult as they feel superior to you and find difficulty in remembering anything.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Studebaker Hawk wrote:First uhoh and now you. I'm touched. If I can stop saying he's a troll, maybe I can stop thinking it.
We would never expect that! We can only ask for appropriate behaviour.
For the fun of it...Keith
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

kcowan wrote: We can only ask for appropriate behaviour.
What, being vainglorious is unacceptable? :lol:
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Nemo2 wrote:
kcowan wrote: We can only ask for appropriate behaviour.
What, being vainglorious is unacceptable? :lol:
"It ain't vainglorious if ya really done it."
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Studebaker Hawk wrote:
parvus wrote:
Studebaker Hawk wrote: Since I'll get whacked if I call you a troll, I'll be nice - try googling globeinvestorgold, it's not hard, google doesn't bite, google is your friend.

First uhoh and now you. I'm touched. If I can stop saying he's a troll, maybe I can stop thinking it.
:wink:
Image :wink:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics