Finding an existing stock picking thread

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Finding an existing stock picking thread

Post by AltaRed »

You are supposed to use the existing thread.

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... p?p=218414
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 23 Feb 2015 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed extraneous 'sid' information
Mike Schimek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Mike Schimek »

I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread, (searched on PCA), I got the first 10 of 70 search results and didn't see a button for searching the next 20-70 results. I'll search the search results better next time oO
Research until your head hurts then scream Banzai!!! and charge fearlessly to victory or death!
Mike Schimek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Mike Schimek »

duh, I see it now. Search on Petro-Canada instead of PCA brought it up right away.
Research until your head hurts then scream Banzai!!! and charge fearlessly to victory or death!
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Mike Schimek wrote:I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread
When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

scomac wrote:When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
And restrict the search to thread/message titles so as to reduce the number of matches.

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The best way to find a stock thread is to use the company name and search titles only. Symbol searches don't always work.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shakespeare wrote:Symbol searches don't always work.
One and two letter symbols in particular can't be searched because of the way the forum database is indexed. Try e.g. "Symbol-PCA" or "Symbol-CM" if the symbol alone or the company name don't work.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

scomac wrote:
Mike Schimek wrote:I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread
When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
Only after reading these two posts did I come to realize which "Search" to use. It took me a few seconds to "see" the FWF Search.

Note to Moderator/Administrator -- people's eyes are drawn to the larger/more prominent icon/input form. I had to look hard to find the FWF Search, because the Google Search just draws your attention to it, as it is larger and more visibly striking. If it is possible, is there any way to increase the visibility of the FWF Search button.
gggupup
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Finding an existing stock picking thread

Post by gggupup »

Maybe, you can also try this:
http://www.stock1010.com/
Stoxline.com
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

gggupup wrote:Maybe, you can also try this:
http://www.stock1010.com/
What does that have to do with finding an existing stock thread on this forum? :roll:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Sometimes, I can't find certain types of equities using the search function. Example: I was trying to do a search for Canadian Utilities (TSX:CU) preferred shares. Of course, entering the symbol name alone, with all its delineating periods (cu.pr.g) yields an error, cause the search term is not found or too common. :x

Entering "Canadian Utilities", even in quotes, simply brings up threads about any utility company in Canada (i.e. it's too generic). I read the forum thread about it and tried entering "Symbol-CU" and strangely, the search function still found nothing.

Are you certain it works properly? Is there some other way I could search for, e.g. CU.PR.G or similar? I like my preferreds.

Thanks.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I found a number of threads...
...Click on the 'Advanced Search' function... the wheel to the right of the magnifying glass
.. You get the Advanced Search page. Type in key words: Canadian Utilities
... Go down to 'Search Within' and click the Radio Button for "Topic Titles Only"

I get several threads including what you are looking for. Always use the Advanced Search icon,
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

That's working a bit better, thanks for that!
ayoubsari
Spammer
Spammer

Post by ayoubsari »

In the United States https://www.bloomberg.com/features/comp ... atch-2018/ week has ranked the best 50 shares