Finding an existing stock picking thread

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Finding an existing stock picking thread

Post by AltaRed » 30 Jan 2008 15:28

You are supposed to use the existing thread.

viewtopic.php?p=218414
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 23 Feb 2015 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed extraneous 'sid' information

Mike Schimek
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Mike Schimek » 30 Jan 2008 16:38

I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread, (searched on PCA), I got the first 10 of 70 search results and didn't see a button for searching the next 20-70 results. I'll search the search results better next time oO
Research until your head hurts then scream Banzai!!! and charge fearlessly to victory or death!

Mike Schimek
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Mike Schimek » 30 Jan 2008 16:40

duh, I see it now. Search on Petro-Canada instead of PCA brought it up right away.
Research until your head hurts then scream Banzai!!! and charge fearlessly to victory or death!

scomac
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by scomac » 30 Jan 2008 17:13

Mike Schimek wrote:I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread
When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830

Bylo Selhi
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by Bylo Selhi » 30 Jan 2008 17:17

scomac wrote:When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
And restrict the search to thread/message titles so as to reduce the number of matches.

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.

Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by Shakespeare » 30 Jan 2008 17:18

The best way to find a stock thread is to use the company name and search titles only. Symbol searches don't always work.
“A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.” -- R.A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer.

Bylo Selhi
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by Bylo Selhi » 30 Jan 2008 17:33

Shakespeare wrote:Symbol searches don't always work.
One and two letter symbols in particular can't be searched because of the way the forum database is indexed. Try e.g. "Symbol-PCA" or "Symbol-CM" if the symbol alone or the company name don't work.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.

Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 30 Jan 2008 18:40

scomac wrote:
Mike Schimek wrote:I did a search for that on the Google search in the top right and didn't get the thread
When searching through the forum archives for an existing thread, use the FWF search function. The icon is located centre page underneath the header.
Only after reading these two posts did I come to realize which "Search" to use. It took me a few seconds to "see" the FWF Search.

Note to Moderator/Administrator -- people's eyes are drawn to the larger/more prominent icon/input form. I had to look hard to find the FWF Search, because the Google Search just draws your attention to it, as it is larger and more visibly striking. If it is possible, is there any way to increase the visibility of the FWF Search button.

gggupup
Bronze Ring
Bronze Ring

Re: Finding an existing stock picking thread

Post by gggupup » 17 Aug 2011 09:19

Maybe, you can also try this:
http://www.stock1010.com/
Stoxline.com

AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Re: Finding an existing stock picking thread

Post by AltaRed » 17 Aug 2011 21:48

gggupup wrote:Maybe, you can also try this:
http://www.stock1010.com/
What does that have to do with finding an existing stock thread on this forum? :roll:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom