Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Post by nisser »

You mean wrong facts? He stated that android is selling at a loss. I corrected his wrong fact and he went on an emotional rant.
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chufinora »

I have been a "Mac head"/Apple fanboy since the early 90's. I recall very clearly thinking this company makes great stuff I should buy their stock back in 1994 but figured such an investment wasn't for me ($5k invested then would be worth $500k today).

It still is not an investment for me, but you will need to pry my cold dead hands away to get my Macbook Air :D :D
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

nisser wrote:You mean wrong facts? He stated that android is selling at a loss. I corrected his wrong fact and he went on an emotional rant.
Talk about wrong facts, I said apple takes 90% of the smartphone profits supported by reliable sources.

I also pointed out that samsung's profits don't come from android phones but rather chip manufacturing for Apple. Also with supporting documents.

Where are my wrong facts? You have misquoted what I said...
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Just a Guy wrote: As for android, I don't believe in investing in companies who sell at a loss, hoping to make it up in volume. Apple is eating 90% of the profits, anyone banking on android is probably losing money...not a good foundation. But at least they can claim market share (for every client we lose $1000 yeah!!! We'll soon crush Apple).
nisser wrote:I'm not sure where you get the notion that android is losing money. Samsung is profitable. I don't think Apple will be able to continue to warrant the premium much longer. Everyone else has caught up.
The beauty of forums is that you can go and check exactly what was said.

I corrected your obviously wrong information and you had a hissy fit. I'm done with thread because you aren't worth arguing about.
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

So, you confuse sarcasm with a factual statement. The comment was a general one, not aimed at Samsung in particular...it's a phrase I've used often for a variety of silly company strategies I've seen, you can probably pull it it up on this or other forums I'm on. I've even used it in talking about real estate.

To explain if you "sell at a loss", it's impossible to "make it up on volume"...just to be clear on the sarcasm which I foolishly thought was obvious.

Be that as it may, there are over 1000 smart phone manufacturers out there (not all are android) according to the financial times, yet Apple controls 90+% of the profits and sells less than 15% of the market share according to idc.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

I would say, based on those numbers, there is a great probability that many companies are losing money on their smart phone. As the majority of smart phones are android based, it would hold that there is a good probability that there are android phone makers losing their shirt, but I haven't pulled up each' financial reports (though the link to Samsung's financials I provided earlier said they weren't doing well either).

Of course, I'm open to reading some proof of your opinion, I've provided sources for my claims, unlike your posts. Restating an opinion doesn't make it true.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, you can lead a hortatory but you can't make her think. ;)
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

nisser wrote:I'm done with thread because you aren't worth arguing about.
Thanks nisser. That should improve the quality of the discourse in this thread. :thumbsup:
For the fun of it...Keith
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/mar ... /81175914/

From the article...

Apple continues to be the biggest grabber of the nation's profit, bringing in 6.7% of the total net income reported by U.S.-based companies. That's up from the 4.7% of total U.S. net income the company hauled in during 2014. That's because Apple last year reported a 21% bigger profit in 2015 and made more than any other U.S.-based company in the S&P 500 at $53.7 billion in net income.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Oh-oh!
BNN Daily Summary wrote:Right now there are 50 analysts... Forty-four of the analysts rate Apple a buy. In Barron’s big money poll, 77 of the 100 PMs surveyed gave Apple a thumbs up.
Looks like it is reaching the end of the trail....
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Rather than just a naked link to an article, why not include the article title and quote the key point(s) and and expand on why you think the article is important. Personally I'm more likely to click on Apple got 40% of Silicon Valley's publicly traded profits last year - Business Insider rather than the supplied naked link.

Depending on your browser of choice, you might this tip from Bylo helpful to automate the process.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Because some days I just don't feel like it. Yesterday was a particularly long day.

Besides, people will either want to read, or they won't. They'll want to argue either way, and sometimes I'm just not that into the arguement.

Believe it or not, I don't really care if people read what I have to say. There are those who wouldn't believe it even if it was indisputable.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Just a Guy wrote:Because some days I just don't feel like it. Yesterday was a particularly long day.
I'll second P_I's polite note.

Not that you may care much, but out of principle I'll very much avoid clicking on a naked link.
If you don't care putting a little effort in presenting what you consider important, then I don't care investigating myself.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I'll second P_I's polite note.
+1

Like Just a Guy, most of us on FWF follow the news. Most of us have heard that Apple's revenues and profits are down due to a drop in iPhone sales. I'm much more interested in hearing what others think about this and have to say about Apple rather than read another rehash of yesterday's news. Does your linked article have anything original to contribute? Do you?
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
chufinora
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chufinora »

Talking about Apples results - I did see that their cash reserve has continued to grow. It now sits at $233B that is a staggeringly large number. Growing their dividend ~10% a year is not going to make much of a dent in that.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Also their iPhone unit sales were up for the quarter, but they were slightly more competitive with an average $/unit down by $10. When you sell over 10 million units in the quarter, that is a $100 million hit on the revenue! Yet the "news" reports that iPhone sales are down...

As for JAG, I think he is amazed that so many people care about his postings! Good for you JAG, that article really helped put the "Google fan boys" in their place:
RankAscending Company Sales Profit Capex R&D Employees Cash Debt Dividends Repurch Tax
1 Apple $234,988 $53,731.00 $11,642 $8,576 110,000 $205,666 $64,462 $11,729 $37,086 $18,941
2 Alphabet $74,989 $15,897.00 $9,915 $12,282 61,814 $78,249 $5,220...... $0..... $1,780 $3,232
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Interesting how much traffic gets generated posting comments about naked links which at least had relevance to the topic of the thread, unlike bylo's comments which ironically ponders if I have anything useful to contribute...

If you don't want to click on a link, don't. It's easy to skip and not read it...much easier to skip than a posting attacking the fact that the link isn't to your liking, since one is more likely to read a posting on a thread looking for something relevant to the thread. I've found many people fail to actually read links regardless of how they are posted and prefer to just spout off unsupported opinions anyway. Some people are more prone to just attack posters regardless of what is said in any case.

As I said, yesterday I was tired but, for those of you who were so disappointed that I didn't post my opinion (or are too lazy to interpret the news yourself)...

Frankly I don't see much has really changed with Apple, they are still making boatloads of money, more than anyone else, only their growth in making boatloads of money has slowed.

Interestingly, I've heard the talking heads comparing this to blackberry when the iPhone arrived showing, once again, how clueless most analysts are. There is no revolutionary device threatening apple's domination. The smartphone market is starting to reach saturation in many markets. Android phones aren't taking over, replacing the iPhone, they are capping out too.

Many people seem to have missed that iPad sales increased this time (last quarter everyone was predicting it was dead and a dud).

For growth, Apple needs to introduce something new, or develop their watch into something consumers actually want in large numbers, which usually takes about three generations if you go by the iPod, iPhone, or anything ever developed by Microsoft.

As I said many times on this thread, when compared to any other company on the market, I don't see anything that's currently in better shape than apple. It may not remain that way, but an iPhone killer still hasn't entered the market. We may be at the point where we get a little more than replacement for existing users for a while. Anything that could currently hurt Apple will hurt the competition worse.

Personally, I don't see any killer features which make me want to upgrade my devices, they are becoming commodities. If Apple doesn't come out with something new, they may not be much of a growth stock but, when you're already near the top in terms of valuation, how much more growth can you seriously expect?
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Just a Guy wrote:For growth, Apple needs to introduce something new, or develop their watch into something consumers actually want in large numbers, which usually takes about three generations if you go by the iPod, iPhone, or anything ever developed by Microsoft.

As I said many times on this thread, when compared to any other company on the market, I don't see anything that's currently in better shape than apple. It may not remain that way, but an iPhone killer still hasn't entered the market. We may be at the point where we get a little more than replacement for existing users for a while. Anything that could currently hurt Apple will hurt the competition worse.

Personally, I don't see any killer features which make me want to upgrade my devices, they are becoming commodities. If Apple doesn't come out with something new, they may not be much of a growth stock but, when you're already near the top in terms of valuation, how much more growth can you seriously expect?
This sounds reasonable. What's all the fuss?

With regards to being in "better shape", that depends on perspective. Personally I like Berkshire Hathaway ;)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

EU targets Apple for back taxes

and the US Treasury threatens. Starbucks, Chrysler, Google, McDonalds and Amazon all in play.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Apple is weighing on the three major U.S. stock indexes today, a day after the tech giant unveiled the new iPhone 7 that failed to impress Wall Street. Shares of Apple fell 2.1 per cent, their steepest decline since June 24 when the markets witnessed a broad selloff after the result of the Brexit vote.
http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... =6f58-1260

No headphone socket? That's a must-have feature?
At least add a cup holder or something!
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

They are trying to force a conversion to bluetooth head phones. But jumping jeepers Murphy, likely >$1000 for a stupid smartphone + $X for bluetooth headphones?

I like my $100 LG Leon android just fine thank you. Enough apps to sink a ship, 90% of which i will never use.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Much ado about nothing...

Remember when they got rid of the floppy drive?
How about the CD-ROM drive?

Both had calls of it being the end of the world, until it wasn't and everyone else copied them.

Of course, they haven't always been right, lightning connectors for example, but this one probably ranks up there with the first two.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Your new iPhone will soon be trash, and that's the point (Globe&Mail)
The thesis of the article as it relates to the missing jack is that standards for wireless headphones will change relatively rapidly (compared to the headphone jack), forcing consumers to buy new junk over and over.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote:They are trying to force a conversion to bluetooth head phones. But jumping jeepers Murphy, likely >$1000 for a stupid smartphone + $X for bluetooth headphones?

I like my $100 LG Leon android just fine thank you. Enough apps to sink a ship, 90% of which i will never use.
I have a $179 Samsung Prime unlocked with a month to month plan with Virgin. Acquaintances have iPhones and I really don't see the advantage. My monthly fees are less and I am not tied to a 2 year contract and the phone does everything I want or need.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

I have an iPhone 6s. Prefer the OS. Android has a host of issues I wanted to avoid. Also the latest Samsung phone blows up and has been barred from flights.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/samsungs-ga ... australia/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ple-google