Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Post by Thegipper »

Flaccidsteele wrote:I have an iPhone 6s. Prefer the OS. Android has a host of issues I wanted to avoid. Also the latest Samsung phone blows up and has been barred from flights.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/samsungs-ga ... australia/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ple-google
They have numerous apps that suit my needs. I could start with Google and Google Maps. I have good solid list of apps on my Samsung. I am not a gamer so that doesn't make a difference. My phone isn't the Galaxy 7.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Android vs Apple is kind of like a Ford guy arguing with a Chevy guy. Not likely to change anyone's mind. Let me just say that if Apple people want to fork out all those extra dolllars, it matters not to me. :P

P.S. I have an iPad tablet and an Android phone... So have experience with both.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Getting back on topic...

Here's another reason why the lack of a plug may be good.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/316039
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

AltaRed wrote:Android vs Apple is kind of like a Ford guy arguing with a Chevy guy. Not likely to change anyone's mind. Let me just say that if Apple people want to fork out all those extra dolllars, it matters not to me. :P

P.S. I have an iPad tablet and an Android phone... So have experience with both.
I agree.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Loss of headphone jack is no big deal as there are already lots of Bluetooth headsets on the market to choose from. I am assuming that Apple didn't somehow "fix" Bluetooth in the new phone such that only Apple headsets will work. Personally, I don't like the cord as it always seems to get tangled up with things like the armrests on aircraft seats...
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Insomniac wrote:Personally, I don't like the cord as it always seems to get tangled up with things like the armrests on aircraft seats...
Yes and in the seat belt...
For the fun of it...Keith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Off topic, but the thought of someone using earbuds in a vehicle while driving scares the hell out of me. No awareness of what is going on around them, can't hear emergency vehicles coming up from behind, etc, etc. I know because I have honked at such people now and then in the past and they are oblivious.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Continuing with the OT discussion - most cars have Bluetooth now - so prob one would connect that way?

But - a friend has just purchased a Subaru - and getting iTunes on the phone to make a Bluetooth connection with the car system requires an app that only seems to work when data is available? Apple moving towards a proprietary Bluetooth system suddenly doesn't seem too far-fetched ....
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

pmj wrote:Continuing with the OT discussion - most cars have Bluetooth now - so prob one would connect that way?
As they should. But some people still insist on listening to their music from their smartphone or ipod in the vehicle. Many vehicles (like our newest one) now come with USB ports that one can stick a thumb drive into (evolving past the CD player) to accomplish that too.

But to get back on topic, I'd stay away from anything that requires proprietary product.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Deletion of the headset jack should be pretty annoying for SquareUp! The little card readers are popular at craft fairs, flea markets, etc. I suppose their developers are working on a new device. Until a new device is available, I suppose people who have the new phone can manually enter the card info.

https://squareup.com/ca/reader
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

This, from Steve jobs himself, could explain the missing headphone jack...

Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

For a large part of the public, yes, I agree. For a smaller portion, they want good sound. You really can't get good sound from wireless earbuds,
as they are too small to do the job. Good sound requires larger magnets, which are heavy. Bluetooth versions also split the cost between sound
quality and wireless circuitry. This is more quantity from Apple, not quality, IMO.

Insomniac wrote:Loss of headphone jack is no big deal as there are already lots of Bluetooth headsets on the market to choose from. I am assuming that Apple didn't somehow "fix" Bluetooth in the new phone such that only Apple headsets will work. Personally, I don't like the cord as it always seems to get tangled up with things like the armrests on aircraft seats...
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Hogwild wrote:For a large part of the public, yes, I agree. For a smaller portion, they want good sound. You really can't get good sound from wireless earbuds,
as they are too small to do the job. Good sound requires larger magnets, which are heavy. Bluetooth versions also split the cost between sound
quality and wireless circuitry. This is more quantity from Apple, not quality, IMO.
Agree, however, I imagine if one were an audiophile, one would not be listening to music through an iPhone through a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Audiophiles are a small niche of the overall market for music/headphones and will probably always remain that way: it's very expensive to pay for +$1,000 headphones and thousands of additional dollars in specific cords and devices to listen to music from/through for the "purest" sound.

Apple will never cater to such a small, defined niche, because well, there is literally no money to be made that would move the needle at a company the size of Apple.

I see the removal of the headphone jack and the introduction of wireless headphones as steps toward a post-smartphone world years down the line (or at least a world where smartphones become secondary digital devices to wireless wearables).
Southafricanmi
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Southafricanmi »

We started doing valuations on US stocks. And AAPL was one of the first ones.

Note we still exploring the US market and differences in accounting and reporting etc.

Feel free to send us suggestions on improvements etc.

http://www.southafricanmi.com/apple-aapl.html
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Just read this thread from the beginning to the end: very interesting and insightful read.

Surprised the mention of Berkshire Hathaway taking a stake in the company back in August 2016 hasn't been mentioned yet. Thoughts?
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

Berkshire Hathaway has had a lot of success over the years, but they've also made some mistakes. Personally I don't understand the fascination with what they choose to do.

As for a stake in Apple, why not? The company has more cash than the next several companies combined, last quarter they somehow managed to earn more than 100% of the smart phone profits for the quarter (if you believe he spin doctors), despite not being "innovative" (according to different spin doctors).

They are making huge margins in a usually small margin industry, and have been making huge profits for years.

While I don't think Apple is the greatest company in the world, it's hard to argue that if you want to preserve your capital and make a safe dividend (which has a track record of growing and is very well funded), it's a pretty good bet.

I can't think of a different company that even comes close to Apple in these areas. Are there risks? Sure, but the numbers they produce and the cash they have are hard to say are "risky" compared to anyone else.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

SkaSka wrote:Just read this thread from the beginning to the end: very interesting and insightful read.

Surprised the mention of Berkshire Hathaway taking a stake in the company back in August 2016 hasn't been mentioned yet. Thoughts?
They also have a stake in IBM. I think it is because both tech company's offer dividends.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Interesting article here about the financial tentacles of Apple.

It makes me wonder how much we REALLY know about the firms in which we invest money. No amount of due diligence would let me come close to understanding the implications and risks of the financial instruments Apple are using. Hope the people at Apple do, though.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Berkshire's Apple stake grew by about 23 per cent since the end of September to roughly 165.3 million shares worth US$28 billion. That was just above the reported US$27.8 billion stake in Wells Fargo.
So Apple is their number one stock holding.
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

He may be very smart with investing but, when it comes to tech, I find him to often be behind the curve, but that's just my opinion.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

He said that Apple was a consumer brand to him (like coke), not a tech stock. He also invested in IBM as a Cloud-based AI investment but is divesting it as a mistake.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

What makes you guys think WB is the one allocating to AAPL? Todd and Ted have significant amount of BRK's capital to allocate.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Classic WB purchase. According to Fortune magazine it is the world's number one brand. It trades a 12 times earnings, has amazing fcf , has a big pot of billions of cash and it has a dominate market position. It may be a tech stock but it's one he can understand.
Just a Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Just a Guy »

If he really understood it, or thought it was a consumer brand, why did it take so long for him to pull the trigger...the company has been a consumer brand for years, and it's had much better valuations over that same time period.

I'm not saying he's wrong, just he purchased things like coke at a better price than he's ever done with tech stocks.
RomaneeConti
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RomaneeConti »

From my recall of reading past Berkshire Hathaway reports, purchasing whole businesses rather than stocks was the investment priority in the past decade or so, with Burlington Northern being the biggest, back in 2009. If Mr. Buffett personally had to spend mental time on deals of that magnitude, it is conceivable he had no time to see what Apple was doing over the same period. I do not doubt he had the acumen to evaluate Apple had he desired to do so.

Personally I have owned AAPL since 2012, the year they announced intentions to resume paying dividends. No regrets at all.