Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Re: Apple Corp (Symbol-AAPL)

Post by parvus »

Ah, back to the 1970s, when people seemed to switch cars every two years.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Now I know why Google has spent so much time on self driving cars. We'll need help to drive safely while playing with our electronic toys and watching all those ads they serve us. :wink:
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Apple Reports Record March Quarter Results, Splits Stock 7-for-1, and Boosts Share Buyback
Apple wrote:Apple Reports Second Quarter Results
Strong iPhone Sales Drive Record March Quarter Revenue and 15 Percent EPS Growth

CUPERTINO, California—April 23, 2014—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2014 second quarter ended March 29, 2014. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $45.6 billion and quarterly net profit of $10.2 billion, or $11.62 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $43.6 billion and net profit of $9.5 billion, or $10.09 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 39.3 percent compared to 37.5 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 66 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

“We’re very proud of our quarterly results, especially our strong iPhone sales and record revenue from services,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’re eagerly looking forward to introducing more new products and services that only Apple could bring to market.”

“We generated $13.5 billion in cash flow from operations and returned almost $21 billion in cash to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases during the March quarter,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “That brings cumulative payments under our capital return program to $66 billion.”

Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2014 third quarter:
revenue between $36 billion and $38 billion
gross margin between 37 percent and 38 percent
operating expenses between $4.4 billion and $4.5 billion
other income/(expense) of $200 million
tax rate of 26.1 percent
Apple wrote:Apple Expands Capital Return Program to Over $130 Billion
Board of Directors also Approves Seven-for-One Stock Split

CUPERTINO, California—April 23, 2014—Apple® today announced that its Board of Directors has authorized another significant increase to the Company’s program to return capital to shareholders. The Company expects to utilize a total of over $130 billion of cash under the expanded program by the end of calendar 2015.

As part of the program, the Board has increased its share repurchase authorization to $90 billion from the $60 billion level announced last year. The Company expects to continue to utilize about $1 billion annually to net-share-settle vesting restricted stock units.

Additionally, the Board has approved an increase to the Company’s quarterly dividend of approximately 8 percent and has declared a dividend of $3.29 per common share, payable on May 15, 2014 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 12, 2014. The Company also plans to increase its dividend on an annual basis. With annual payments of $11 billion, Apple is among the largest dividend payers in the world.

From August 2012 through March 2014, Apple has spent $66 billion in cash on its capital return program.

To assist in funding the program, the Company expects to access the public debt markets during 2014, both domestically and internationally, for an amount of term debt similar to what the Company raised during 2013. The management team and the Board of Directors will continue to review each element of the capital return program regularly.

“We are announcing a significant increase to our capital return program,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’re confident in Apple’s future and see tremendous value in Apple’s stock, so we’re continuing to allocate the majority of our program to share repurchases. We’re also happy to be increasing our dividend for the second time in less than two years.”

The Board of Directors has also announced a seven-for-one stock split. Each Apple shareholder of record at the close of business on June 2, 2014 will receive six additional shares for every share held on the record date, and trading will begin on a split-adjusted basis on June 9, 2014.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I saw the stock split announcement and was left to wonder why? Perhaps it can be explained -- Apple Stock Split Removes Obstacle to Inclusion in Dow - Bloomberg?

FWIW, there is another topic, Stock split investment strategy, for more general discussion.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Carl Icahn is happy - here's one of his two tweets following the earnings announcement "Agree completely with $AAPL's increased buyback and extremely pleased with results. Believe we'll also be happy when we see new products." My problem is that the company, to pay for its increased buyback and dividend activity will be borrowing this year an amount similar to last year's borrowings. My quick calculation shows that since 2008, Apple's total asset have risen 5.7-fold, BUT total long-term liabilities have risen 16-fold. Now, don't get me wrong, Apple is still wildly underleveraged (total equity is $120 billion with cash and long term investments of $150 billion versus debt of $17 billion (and total long term liabilities of $39.4 billion). But borrowing to buy back stock - I just don't know. BUT enjoy the ride, the stock is cheap, the balance sheet is strong and as growth gives way to value, Apple, as I have noted repeatedly on The Buzz and elsewhere, is the grand-daddy of value.
I believe the reason they borrow is to avoid bringing profit back to the US and paying tax on it.
For the fun of it...Keith
MALDI_ToF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MALDI_ToF »

kcowan wrote: I believe the reason they borrow is to avoid bringing profit back to the US and paying tax on it.
With interest rates where they are it doesn't surprise me. Must be cheaper to pay interest rather than tax.
Give a man a fish, and that man knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish, and you've just destroyed your market base.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

They're waiting for a repeat of the 2004 amnesty (and to be fair, it's not just Apple that's waiting).
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Apple Reportedly Buying Beats for $3.2 Billion
FORTUNE -- Tim Cook making a high-profile acquisition? Ain't Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang.
According to a report in the Financial Times, Apple (AAPL) is in talks to purchase Beats Electronics, the headphone manufacturer founded by legendary rapper Dr. Dre and music producer Jimmy Iovine, for $3.2 billion.
The deal, if completed, would be the iPhone maker's largest acquisition, the FT said.
Beats is most famous for its sleekly designed (but expensive) headphones, but earlier this year it launched a subscription music service, priced at $9.99 per month for one person, with other options including subscribing through AT&T (T). According an article in The Verge last month, subscriptions were slow to trickle in, with the first hundred days producing numbers "in the low six figures."
Beats saw a valuation of $1 billion in September 2013, according to the FT. The paper also reported that in the proposed deal the Beats management team would report to Apple CEO Cook.
Some incomprehensibly brilliant acquisition or is Apple merely just getting' the itch to do something with all that cash they are hoarding?
nomad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nomad »

Apple Inc. (AAPL) has announced a 7-for-1 Stock split by issuing six additional shares for each qualifying Apple share held on the record date.

What’s happening when?

June 6, 2014 is the last day AAPL shares will be trading on a Pre-Split basis. Holders of AAPL at the end of this day will receive 6 additional shares for each share held, to be deposited to their Scotia iTRADE accounts on June 13, 2014.

June 9, 2014 is the first day shares will trade Ex-Split basis (Shares purchased on this date or after do not qualify for additional shares), the share price on AAPL will be adjusted for 7-for-1 split basis on this day.

How does this impact me?

According to the “Due Bill” procedure, Apple shares will continue to trade Pre-Split basis until close of trading on June 6th. Holders at close of business on June 6th will automatically receive additional shares of Apple into their accounts on June 13, 2014. If you wish to sell your additional Apple shares after split is effective but prior to receiving them on June 13th, please give us a call. Open equity orders as of the close on June 6th will be adjusted by price and quantity by the exchange. Any Stop orders or Option orders will be cancelled.

Please be advised that buying power will be impacted for holders of Apple shares as the payment of the new shares will not occur until June 13th.
Not all those who wander are lost... J.R.R. Tolkien
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Tax amnesty could push price above $100

Bill would reduce repatriation tax from 35% to 10%.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

I updated this morning from RBI into Quicken and it did the stock split automatically at 1:0.14 which gives me a wrong total for the new number of shares - 1357.142857 instead of 1330.

Is this me or the bank?

:?
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

Wallace wrote:I updated this morning from RBI into Quicken and it did the stock split automatically at 1:0.14 which gives me a wrong total for the new number of shares - 1357.142857 instead of 1330.

Is this me or the bank? :?
Or Quicken? Someone has dropped some decimal places.. one-seventh is 0.142857etc
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Select the stock split transaction in Quicken.
Hit edit.
Change 1:0.14 to 7:1.

Done!
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

A PSA for gullible fanbois who install iOS8: Don't try this at home (or anywhere else.)
nvusmjp.png
From Five gullible fanbois who microwaved their iPhones because 4chan told them to et al.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Our 4S got upgraded yesterday. Thanks for the post. We both got a laugh this morning. :rofl:
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Apple helpfully downloaded a 1 GB update to my iPad early Weds or Thurs morning, then asked afterwards if I wanted to install it :?.
This month has been hard on our data plan - and that un-expected download didn't help :oops:.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

pmj wrote:Apple helpfully downloaded a 1 GB update to my iPad early Weds or Thurs morning, then asked afterwards if I wanted to install it :?.
Sounds like iOS8.

Does iStuff not have update settings like Windows:
• Install updates automatically (recommended(*))
• Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
• Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
• Never check for updates (not recommended)
or like Android's setting to auto-update only over WiFi?

(*) by Bill's Borg, not me.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Best I can tell is there are settings: 1) to inform of updates which then allows one to download and install when they wish, and 2) for auto updates which download and install automatically. There is no setting for download only, but there is a setting for restrictions to prevent certain downloads over cellular data.

On my iPad (cell + WiFi), I use the former setting to avoid updates when I don't want them to do so while on my SO's iPad (WiFi only), she uses the latter. We installed the mega iOS8 on both of our iPads in the last 2 days, but have yet to install it on her iPhone 4 (or 4S - I forget).

Apple seems to be migrating to the MS habit of frequent updates.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Last night DW selected to update just before we went out. Apparently it got the download before we left and then continued the update while we were out. The only problem was that it left her iPhone unusable because she could not log on after the install to reactivate the phone until she got back on wifi. Not a big problem. We had a few spare cell phones if needed.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

AltaRed wrote:Best I can tell is there are settings: 1) to inform of updates which then allows one to download and install when they wish, and 2) for auto updates which download and install automatically. There is no setting for download only, but there is a setting for restrictions to prevent certain downloads over cellular data.
Must vary from device to device. On my wifi-only iPad mini, ios8 was downloaded overnight, and there was an offer to install when I turned it on that morning. We are presently monitoring internet data activity - and the download was, to say the least, visible! The iPad also stated that the download was already done when it offered to install.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

I use a Macbook Pro ( as well as a number of Windows machines), and I find the Apple update process more civilized overall. If there is an update, not only to IOS but to any installed application, I get a notification that an update is available, and offers the option of updating now, this evening, or later; and when I click the update notification I get a list of all the pending updates so I can evaluate if I should update now or wait. So if there are updates to Adobe Lightroom and to IOS I have a single point of notification and review. With Windows I get endless nag screens from every application independently.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

iPhone 6 Plus bending: Apple fans report new smartphones bending in pockets
In what’s already being dubbed ‘bend gate’, owners of Apple’s new iPhone 6 Plus are reporting that their new smartphones are being bent out of shape – just from being carried in their pockets.
Apple:

vs. Samsung:

[Spoiler: The Samsung Note 3 survived.]
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

They may bend, but they (sometimes) don't break. :cry:
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I see Apple has followed the lead of Microsoft and numerous others in using the customer for beta testing.

Apple pulls iOS update after software causes dropped calls - The Globe and Mail
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Apple's attack on the corporate world?
Seeking Alpha tends to be controversial. But it is an interesting read, especially given their hookup with IBM.