Empire Co. Ltd. (Symbol-EMP.A)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Empire Co. Ltd. (Symbol-EMP.A)

Post by brad911 »

And you have a right to be optimistic. The concerns would be that he only lasted ~2 years with CTC and the company has larger issues then just 1 person can fix. The board holds some responsibility for not ensuring that the acquisition of Safeway was being conducted properly. Their Quebec-Ontario operations appear to be operating ok, but its really figuring out a way to compete without cutting prices (that alone is a reason I won't buy it right now). You never compete on price.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I've held Empire since 2007. Waiting to see what the company management does with it's dividend during this turnaround attempt before deciding whether to stay or go. A cut, and I'm out right away. Their annual dividend increase is usually announced in June, but I'm not expecting one for this year.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

jay wrote: 13 Jan 2017 10:19 This stock has been severely punished. At current levels, it has negative 3 and 5 year CAGRs and the worse 10-yr CAGR on record. Any good news like this will take it above $20 in no time. My cost base is $18.5 and hoping to see gains soon, but I'm biased :).
:rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Who's holding? starting to get nervous that EMP.A will soon become a top holding of mine. Thinking of taking some profits
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Taggart wrote: 09 Apr 2017 05:43 I've held Empire since 2007. Waiting to see what the company management does with it's dividend during this turnaround attempt before deciding whether to stay or go. A cut, and I'm out right away. Their annual dividend increase is usually announced in June, but I'm not expecting one for this year.
Good to see there's been no dividend cut, and I've been able to hang on. In fact there was a small dividend increase announced back in June 2017. Good management can make a major difference in a company and Empire is mostly certainly showing that now.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... way-legacy