TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
BRIAN5000
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 5977
Joined: 08 Jun 2007 23:27

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by BRIAN5000 » 09 Feb 2017 14:46

BRIAN5000 wrote:
jeremy wrote:Has anyone tried emailing TDDI (and received a response)? A few days ago, I sent a general inquiry to the email address they provided under 'contact us' (tddirectinvesting@td.com) and I haven't heard anything back, not even an automated reply. Why bother providing an email address if you aren't monitoring it?
No response to my email either.


Sent: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:37:33 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Attn: Client Complaint Resolution Team

Thu, Feb 02, 2017 11:36 AM
Thank you for writing TD Direct Investing general inquiry.
The email team provides general guidance and direction for our products and services.
As we are experiencing higher than normal volumes, we apologize for the delayed response.
Please feel free to contact one of our Investment Representatives.
“Sometimes you are going to sell early and wish you would’ve held on, other times you will hold on a
little bit longer and wish you would’ve sold early - this is just part of the game.” - Frank Zorilla via Abnormal Returns

jeremy
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 339
Joined: 18 Nov 2010 13:53

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by jeremy » 10 Feb 2017 00:10

BRIAN5000 wrote:
BRIAN5000 wrote:
jeremy wrote:Has anyone tried emailing TDDI (and received a response)? A few days ago, I sent a general inquiry to the email address they provided under 'contact us' (tddirectinvesting@td.com) and I haven't heard anything back, not even an automated reply. Why bother providing an email address if you aren't monitoring it?
No response to my email either.


Sent: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:37:33 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Attn: Client Complaint Resolution Team

Thu, Feb 02, 2017 11:36 AM
Thank you for writing TD Direct Investing general inquiry.
The email team provides general guidance and direction for our products and services.
As we are experiencing higher than normal volumes, we apologize for the delayed response.
Please feel free to contact one of our Investment Representatives.
Same response for me...

ig17
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2530
Joined: 21 Feb 2005 20:54

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by ig17 » 28 Mar 2017 12:44

I know I can use TD US Money Market (TDB166) to make an in-kind contribution to an RRSP, by journalling it two times:

USD non-reg --> CAD RRSP --> USD RRSP

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with TDB8152 (USD HISA)?

jeremy
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 339
Joined: 18 Nov 2010 13:53

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by jeremy » 28 Mar 2017 13:11

ig17 wrote:
28 Mar 2017 12:44
I know I can use TD US Money Market (TDB166) to make an in-kind contribution to an RRSP, by journalling it two times:

USD non-reg --> CAD RRSP --> USD RRSP

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with TDB8152 (USD HISA)?
Yes, I have used TDB8152.

gobsmack
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 301
Joined: 04 Sep 2015 13:16

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by gobsmack » 28 Mar 2017 14:06

jeremy wrote:
28 Mar 2017 13:11
ig17 wrote:
28 Mar 2017 12:44
...
USD non-reg --> CAD RRSP --> USD RRSP

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with TDB8152 (USD HISA)?
Yes, I have used TDB8152.
How do you work out how many shares you can transfer? The exchange rate is changing all the time and it may take them a few hours to move the shares for you after you call in. How do you deal with that? Do you simply try and stay well below however much contribution room you have?

jeremy
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 339
Joined: 18 Nov 2010 13:53

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by jeremy » 28 Mar 2017 15:18

gobsmack wrote:
28 Mar 2017 14:06
jeremy wrote:
28 Mar 2017 13:11
ig17 wrote:
28 Mar 2017 12:44
...
USD non-reg --> CAD RRSP --> USD RRSP

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the same with TDB8152 (USD HISA)?
Yes, I have used TDB8152.
How do you work out how many shares you can transfer? The exchange rate is changing all the time and it may take them a few hours to move the shares for you after you call in. How do you deal with that? Do you simply try and stay well below however much contribution room you have?
I stay below the contribution limit (+$2k overcontribution limit). When I've called in, the agent has always told me the exchange rate and the CAD contribution amount. They use the exchange rate at the time you call.

User avatar
ghariton
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 11972
Joined: 18 Feb 2005 18:59
Location: Ottawa

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by ghariton » 13 Jul 2017 21:58

Business as usual...
Please be advised that your personal account statements for the period ending June 30, 2017, are currently unavailable in eServices. We are working to re-post them as soon as possible and an update will be provided by no later than 5:00 p.m. (ET) on Friday, July 14.
In the interim, you can view your account activity for the previous 45 days in WebBroker by clicking on 'Accounts' in the top navigation bar, and then 'Activity' in the dropdown menu. You can download this information by clicking on the 'Download' icon at the top right of the 'Activity' page.
If you normally receive your personal account statements by mail, please be advised that they will be arriving later than anticipated. We will provide a new anticipated delivery date as soon as possible.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
The plural of anecdote is NOT data.

WexleySnoops
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:54

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by WexleySnoops » 18 Jul 2017 19:36

ghariton wrote:
13 Jul 2017 21:58
Business as usual...
Please be advised that your personal account statements for the period ending June 30, 2017, are currently unavailable in eServices. We are working to re-post them as soon as possible and an update will be provided by no later than 5:00 p.m. (ET) on Friday, July 14.
In the interim, you can view your account activity for the previous 45 days in WebBroker by clicking on 'Accounts' in the top navigation bar, and then 'Activity' in the dropdown menu. You can download this information by clicking on the 'Download' icon at the top right of the 'Activity' page.
If you normally receive your personal account statements by mail, please be advised that they will be arriving later than anticipated. We will provide a new anticipated delivery date as soon as possible.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Statements now live!

Hammerer
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 330
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 00:09

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Hammerer » 15 Oct 2017 01:45

Probably a stupid question.

I tend to keep my cash on-hand at $0. I don't have margin accounts.

Say I wanted to buy a stock in a TFSA, can I sell a stock and immediately buy another for the same value?

Or I have to wait until settlement before purchasing?

2 yen
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2665
Joined: 09 Apr 2005 09:15

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by 2 yen » 15 Oct 2017 08:15

Hammerer wrote:
15 Oct 2017 01:45
Probably a stupid question.

I tend to keep my cash on-hand at $0. I don't have margin accounts.

Say I wanted to buy a stock in a TFSA, can I sell a stock and immediately buy another for the same value?

Or I have to wait until settlement before purchasing?
Probably have to wait for settlement. However, try it and the system might say you have sufficient funds. Seems to me I have had to wait for settlement.

2 yen

User avatar
adrian2
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 11679
Joined: 19 Feb 2005 08:42
Location: Greater Toronto Area

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by adrian2 » 15 Oct 2017 08:30

Hammerer wrote:
15 Oct 2017 01:45
Say I wanted to buy a stock in a TFSA, can I sell a stock and immediately buy another for the same value?

Or I have to wait until settlement before purchasing?
At TDDI, you can do it on the same day (sell first, buy seconds later).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]

User avatar
Koogie
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1483
Joined: 09 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Koogie » 15 Oct 2017 09:23

adrian2 wrote:
15 Oct 2017 08:30
Hammerer wrote:
15 Oct 2017 01:45
Say I wanted to buy a stock in a TFSA, can I sell a stock and immediately buy another for the same value?
Or I have to wait until settlement before purchasing?
At TDDI, you can do it on the same day (sell first, buy seconds later).
I "think" that might not be true for funds. Last time I sold something in my RRSP (an old e-series holding) I believe I had to wait to purchase until it settled (likely because funds use end of day pricing ?) Just a warning for those who might read it and think funds = stocks.
Buy very little, sell even less.

User avatar
AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 18841
Joined: 05 Mar 2005 20:04
Location: Ogopogo Land

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by AltaRed » 15 Oct 2017 10:22

Indeed, mutual funds are different because pricing is not known until close. Wait until the next day to do the buy (but shouldn't have to wait until settlement).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom

pmj
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2447
Joined: 27 Feb 2005 18:15
Location: Ottawa

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by pmj » 15 Oct 2017 10:34

If you're selling a mutual fund at TDDI, you have to submit the order before 15:00 Eastern time for the order to be filled that day - and thus for the cash to be available for a buy order the next day. The cash won't show up until some time around the start of trading the next day - so you also may not be able to submit an order overnight (it's a long time since I last tried this, so I'm not absolutely sure on the exact timing).
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration

Hammerer
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 330
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 00:09

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Hammerer » 15 Oct 2017 19:38

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm in 99% stocks, I only use e-series funds to sweep un-dripped dividends until I accumulate enough to warrant a $10 commission or do another buy. But I guess it means I'll need to plan when I want to sweep the e-series funds into equities.

nisser
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 850
Joined: 11 Nov 2007 21:24

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by nisser » 02 Dec 2017 23:27

How do you deal with small # of shares that you receive through random distributions.
For some reason I have 1 Trisura share and 2 BBU.UN shares.
I'd hate to pay 10$ to sell each of them.

Would TDW sell these free of charge if I complain? After-all I didn't buy them, nor do I want them. I know it's a small amount but this crap should have gone straight to cash.

Sadly on a return basis, they're doing way better than my overall portfolio! :rofl:

ig17
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2530
Joined: 21 Feb 2005 20:54

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by ig17 » 02 Dec 2017 23:31

nisser wrote:
02 Dec 2017 23:27
How do you deal with small # of shares that you receive through random distributions.
For some reason I have 1 Trisura share and 2 BBU.UN shares.
I'd hate to pay 10$ to sell each of them.

Would TDW sell these free of charge if I complain? After-all I didn't buy them, nor do I want them. I know it's a small amount but this crap should have gone straight to cash.

Sadly on a return basis, they're doing way better than my overall portfolio! :rofl:
You don't need to complain. You just call and ask nicely to sell these shares free of charge, as a courtesy to a loyal customer. I've done it many times, most recently with Trisura. They always oblige.

Irwin
Bronze Ring
Bronze Ring
Posts: 52
Joined: 10 Apr 2014 08:31

Trisura TSU

Post by Irwin » 03 Dec 2017 06:47

For some reason I have 1 Trisura share and 2 BBU.UN shares.
I believe it's on Dec 6 that Trisura will hold a special meeting where it will be proposed that all shareholders with less than 10 shares will receive a cash settlement for those shares, at no fee for the transaction.

It may be 2018 before you see the cash though.

User avatar
Arby
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2394
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 19:23
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Arby » 05 Dec 2017 16:32

TDDI has established a "Relationship Manager" for high net worth clients. I got a call today from my Relationship Manager. According to a followup email, they will provide premium support via an "Elite Line staffed with our most knowledgeable traders", as well as other complimentary services (e.g. premium rates on margin trading; preferred currency exchange rates, etc). Sounds pretty much like the old President's Account. Has anyone found any new benefits with the Relationship Manager concept?

BRIAN5000
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 5977
Joined: 08 Jun 2007 23:27

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by BRIAN5000 » 05 Dec 2017 20:04

TDDI has established a "Relationship Manager" for high net worth clients.
How high is high I could use some Relationship help?
“Sometimes you are going to sell early and wish you would’ve held on, other times you will hold on a
little bit longer and wish you would’ve sold early - this is just part of the game.” - Frank Zorilla via Abnormal Returns

User avatar
Arby
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2394
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 19:23
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Arby » 05 Dec 2017 21:39

BRIAN5000 wrote:
05 Dec 2017 20:04
TDDI has established a "Relationship Manager" for high net worth clients.
How high is high I could use some Relationship help?
Don't know. I never asked what level is required to qualify.

SQRT
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1969
Joined: 01 Nov 2012 11:33
Location: Alberta/Ontario/Arizona

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by SQRT » 06 Dec 2017 12:21

Arby wrote:
05 Dec 2017 16:32
TDDI has established a "Relationship Manager" for high net worth clients. I got a call today from my Relationship Manager. According to a followup email, they will provide premium support via an "Elite Line staffed with our most knowledgeable traders", as well as other complimentary services (e.g. premium rates on margin trading; preferred currency exchange rates, etc). Sounds pretty much like the old President's Account. Has anyone found any new benefits with the Relationship Manager concept?
I am in this “program”. Call a separate “high value” phone number with virtually no waiting and pretty knowledgeable staff. Spoke to the “relationship guy” once or twice but no real need on my part. I suspect they are really there to solve problems (I don’t have many) or refer you to a full service AM. Not sure how high is “high”. Maybe a few million?

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13197
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by kcowan » 06 Dec 2017 14:59

SQRT wrote:
06 Dec 2017 12:21
Not sure how high is “high”. Maybe a few million?
Seems to me that The Presidents designation was for $1 million. It was a special number but the guys could not do anything special. This may be another attempt to create some false sense of special. I agree that all their attempts are now aimed at getting you into a higher cost strata.
For the fun of it...Keith

BRIAN5000
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 5977
Joined: 08 Jun 2007 23:27

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by BRIAN5000 » 12 Dec 2017 11:51

kcowan wrote:
06 Dec 2017 14:59
SQRT wrote:
06 Dec 2017 12:21
Not sure how high is “high”. Maybe a few million?
Seems to me that The Presidents designation was for $1 million. It was a special number but the guys could not do anything special. This may be another attempt to create some false sense of special. I agree that all their attempts are now aimed at getting you into a higher cost strata.
Called in last night waited 30 minutes on the phone finally got through. Rep says its very busy and they hired 150 new people. I asked him about the relationship manager he was gone for a long while and came back with that accounts need to be mid 7 digits, trade often and have margin, accounts they are making lots of fees on.
“Sometimes you are going to sell early and wish you would’ve held on, other times you will hold on a
little bit longer and wish you would’ve sold early - this is just part of the game.” - Frank Zorilla via Abnormal Returns

User avatar
Koogie
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1483
Joined: 09 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Post by Koogie » 12 Dec 2017 12:33

Haven't been able to get into EasyWeb or TDDI all morning. Perhaps hiring 150 IT workers would be money better spent... :evil:
Buy very little, sell even less.

Post Reply