TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
timbr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by timbr »

long wrote:Just wondering, is it only me. Since yesterday i can not access my TD Waterhouse portfolio through the "streaming quotes" window, and then "Portfolio" button.
Working for me.
Solo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: TD Waterhouse Service

Post by Solo »

FYI. Just looked at my balances for Nov 27 and noticed a larger than anticipated drop. Checked out closing prices and everything matched except two Vanguard EFTS which were significantly lower: VEA ($34.52 vs $30.01) and VEU ($43.60 vs $35.11). Called TDW and after some checking was told that it is a system wide glich that should be fixed by Monday. A few anxious moments but at least I'll be able to sleep tonight :)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Things that make you go hmmm. I'm located in Calgary and have TDW President's Account status. When I look at my statements they say,

TD Waterhouse office serving your account
10205 101 St, Ste 402, Edmonton City Ctr East
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4H5
1-800-661-7804

Doesn't TDW have people in Calgary to service Calgary based PA accounts?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Doesn't TDW have people in Calgary to service Calgary based PA accounts?
Ask them td.waterhouse@td.com

AFAIK while TDW Private Client Services has offices in major cities, the Discount Brokerage operation has only call centers in at least Edmonton and Markham (across the street from the Tronno border.) You can use the TDW PCS offices to submit paperwork to TDW DB. I've done it with application forms, stock certificates, etc. You can also use any TD/CT branch for the same purpose.

So why do you need a TDW DB office in Calgary?
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:Doesn't TDW have people in Calgary to service Calgary based PA accounts?
Ask them td.waterhouse@td.com

AFAIK while TDW Private Client Services has offices in major cities, the Discount Brokerage operation has only call centers in at least Edmonton and Markham (across the street from the Tronno border.) You can use the TDW PCS offices to submit paperwork to TDW DB. I've done it with application forms, stock certificates, etc. You can also use any TD/CT branch for the same purpose.

So why do you need a TDW DB office in Calgary?
Because according to TDW PA phone line, I cannot add a LIRA account to our stable of accounts via an online application, we need to come into a branch :( They advise using the TDW office since a local TD/CT branch won't know the "details" about opening a LIRA account. Even though we have TDW accounts of almost all imaginable types, we still need to bring in ID, SIN card, etc. which they already have on file. :( :( I can understand the ID part to make sure I'm who I say I am, but why the other info that they already have?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Because according to TDW PA phone line, I cannot add a LIRA account to our stable of accounts via an online application, we need to come into a branch
So as I suggested, see if a Calgary TDW Private Client Services office will be able to do the deed.
Even though we have TDW accounts of almost all imaginable types, we still need to bring in ID, SIN card, etc. which they already have on file. :( :( I can understand the ID part to make sure I'm who I say I am, but why the other info that they already have?
I've been railing about TDW's compliance bureaucracy's ineptitude, inflexibility, intransigence and utter lack of common sense for years (most recently here.) Make a stink with TDW about this by all means, but don't expect anything more than an "our hands are tied" from anyone below Ed Clark or maybe John See. The compliance nazis are in total control of the TDW asylum.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:Because according to TDW PA phone line, I cannot add a LIRA account to our stable of accounts via an online application, we need to come into a branch
So as I suggested, see if a Calgary TDW Private Client Services office will be able to do the deed.
Just a follow-up. Had an appointment at TD Waterhouse downtown this morning to do the paperwork. It was already setup. Didn't know about Private Client Services, or their location(s) in Calgary -- next time.

Incredible doesn't begin to describe the number of pages of paper this process generates. We were also transferring an informal trust account for our child. Another wack of paper for that one. Certified copies of our driver's licence to accompany each account application :shock: Whole process for 2 accounts, 90 minutes :( .
Bylo Selhi wrote:
Even though we have TDW accounts of almost all imaginable types, we still need to bring in ID, SIN card, etc. which they already have on file. :( :( I can understand the ID part to make sure I'm who I say I am, but why the other info that they already have?
I've been railing about TDW's compliance bureaucracy's ineptitude, inflexibility, intransigence and utter lack of common sense for years (most recently here.) Make a stink with TDW about this by all means, but don't expect anything more than an "our hands are tied" from anyone below Ed Clark or maybe John See. The compliance nazis are in total control of the TDW asylum.
Commented about this to the rep. His response was they are just making sure nothing has changed, driver's license status, job status, address etc. He even commented that maybe that was the reason that RBC was named recently in top 30 systemic risk list and TD was not. What a crock of sh__!

snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:He even commented that maybe that was the reason that RBC was named recently in top 30 systemic risk list and TD was not. What a crock of sh__!
Unbelievable. He obviously has no idea what it means to be on the "systemic risk list". If anything that's a reason to prefer RBC over TD. RBC will be protected by taxpayers at all cost; perhaps TD will not.

While we're slamming TD, I might as well pile on. I have had all kinds of problems with these guys. The most irritating part is that when they screw up, I end up sitting on hold for 30 minutes trying to get through to a warm body to yell at. My experiences at BMOIL are much, much better.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone gain access to Streaming Quotes this morning at TDW? I get an error with connection failed reported from https://tdauth.globeinvestor.com/

timbr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by timbr »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Can anyone gain access to Streaming Quotes this morning at TDW? I get an error with connection failed reported from https://tdauth.globeinvestor.com/
Same here.

I've also been getting expired security certificate warnings on their alert emails for the last couple of weeks. I didn't bother to follow up on this yet, but it looks like it is not going to go away by itself.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Can anyone gain access to Streaming Quotes this morning at TDW? I get an error with connection failed reported from https://tdauth.globeinvestor.com/
I have no problems. FF 3.5.5

ltr
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

like_to_retire wrote:
I have no problems. FF 3.5.5

ltr
It is working for me now, must have been a morning glitch. I had tried 2 computers, and various flavours of Firefox and IE, so I was pretty sure that it was not at my end.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like they "upgraded" the Streaming Quotes function overnight. Streaming Quotes are now available from the left menu -- a good improvement. It appears that you can Buy or Sell directly from the Streaming Quotes window -- helpful I guess. I'm not so sure I like the new colour choices or the layout of the graph when a particular ticker is selected for display. I guess like all changes, time will tell if these are good or bad.

timbr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by timbr »

I like the new changes. For me at least, it fixes some annoyances I had with the prior version (scrolling never seemed to work properly, it was not possible to detach and watch multiple symbols, couldn't resize the main window, etc).

Maybe its just my old computer, but the application does seems more sluggish than before.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

According to this article TDW will start chargin $50 for all registered accounts. Has anyone heard anything?

newguy
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

newguy wrote:According to this article TDW will start chargin $50 for all registered accounts. Has anyone heard anything?

newguy
From the article (my bold) it applies to TDW Financial Planning clients,
TD Waterhouse Financial Planning. In the past week or so, the firm has told clients that it will charge a $50 annual administration fee on all registered retirement accounts starting March 15. Previously, TD charged a $100 annual fee that applied only to clients who had less than $25,000 in their accounts or less than $100,000 in total household assets with the firm.

TD spokeswoman Barbara Timmins confirmed that a majority of TD Waterhouse Financial Planning clients did not pay the $100 fee.

Handelwithcare
Contributor
Contributor

TD will charge a $50 annual fee on all RRSP accounts

Post by Handelwithcare »

According today's Globe and Mail article TD has told clients that it will charge a $50 annual administration fee on all registered retirement accounts starting March 15. Previously, TD charged a $100 annual fee that applied only to clients who had less than $25,000 in their accounts or less than $100,000 in total household assets with the firm. TD spokeswoman Barbara Timmins confirmed that a majority of TD Waterhouse Financial Planning clients did not pay the $100 fee. This suggests the fee change could end up generating more revenue from TD clients.
"The reason for the fee is that there's a cost to administering registered accounts," Ms. Timmins said. "In light of that, we consider it to be reasonable."

The rest - http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s ... /TPComment

What about other banks? Does somebody have any info? We are planning to transfer out RRSP from TD.

Thank you!
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TD will charge a $50 annual fee on all RRSP accounts

Post by newguy »

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 66#p366366
PI highlights the part about Financial planning clients.
I'll wait and see, but if true, the other oligarchie's will follow.
If it's on my account I'm gone.

newguy
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Before everyone gets upset with this, can anyone provide a link to TD that provides details. My read of the Globe article is that it applies to TD Waterhouse Financial Planning clients, not TD Waterhouse Discount Broker clients. I'd love to see a confirmation with a link to TD.

sc101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sc101 »

There is a news message in the Homepage saying a new fees schedule is available.
I just read the TDW Discount Brokerage fees schedule dated Jan. 2, 2010.
No change in RRSP account fee, just as before. That is no fee if the RRSP account is over 25k.
marty123
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by marty123 »

newguy wrote:I'll wait and see, but if true, the other oligarchie's will follow.
The other oligarchs almost always follow these kinds of moves. Be careful, because leaving TD could just mean postponing the inevitable :cry:
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

marty123 wrote:
newguy wrote:I'll wait and see, but if true, the other oligarchie's will follow.
The other oligarchs almost always follow these kinds of moves. Be careful, because leaving TD could just mean postponing the inevitable :cry:
Absolutlely right, however if we all have that attitude, they will always screw us. If I have to do this, I'm doing it for you. :wink:

newguy
fisab
Contributor
Contributor

RRSP fees

Post by fisab »

Quote from the latest TDW fee booklet (from the TDW discount brokerage site): "The annual administration fee for the above noted registered plan accounts will be waived when the plan market value is $25,000 or more."
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Stop reading their current fees, you know how they work.
the smallest print ever wrote:Commissions are subject to change without notice. All other rates and fees are subject to change upon 60 days prior notice.
newguy
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

newguy wrote:Stop reading their current fees, you know how they work.
the smallest print ever wrote:Commissions are subject to change without notice. All other rates and fees are subject to change upon 60 days prior notice.
newguy
The new Discount Brokerage fee schedule, Effective January 2, 2010, is posted here. The link provided via a Web Broker message today pointed here. Both indicate no RRSP admin fee change for Discount Brokerage clients. newguy is correct about the "subject to change" notice, but that's standard boilerplate in these type of documents.