TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TD Waterhouse Service

Post by Nemo2 »

kcowan wrote:Monthly overdraft protection raised from $3 to $4 and affects everyone on the service, effective August 1, 2011.
Only if you subscribe to it.....we don't.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Interesting discovery for me today. Several days ago I requested TDW send me some accumulated dividends, which I have done periodically in the past few years and always had a cheque sent to me via mail. The agent I spoke a few days ago suggested they could simply send the cheque to a local TD branch for pick-up and that it would be safer and more convenient.

Picked up the cheque yesterday and all went well. However today reviewing my TDW account I noticed I was charged $6.50 for the service. Not a large amount but what irks me is that I was not informed of this charge by the TDW agent.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

You know you can transfer funds between TD/CT and TDW online (using WebBroker or EasyWeb), instantly, and without charge?
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:You know you can transfer funds between TD/CT and TDW online (using WebBroker or EasyWeb), instantly, and without charge?
Not as good as Bylo's but you can also send them a voided check for any bank and have them PFT money there for no charge but requires a phone call. I think they have an accumulation account which may be interesting, I don't know all the details on it.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I don't do my regular banking with TD/CT, but a few years ago I opened a small account with them that requires a minimum of $500. No fees as long as I keep the minimum balance and just use it for transferring money to the TD Waterhouse brokerage accounts.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Yet another option is the TD unsecured line of credit. It's free, no minimum balance and has built-in low-cost overdraft protection.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

...and for those over 60, the bank account is free with no minimum balance. I keep one open just to move $ in and out of my TDWH accounts.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Thanks all for your suggestions.

S
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Well, for the third trading day in a row, and the umpteenth time in the last few weeks, the corporate bond quotes on TD Waterhouse WebBroker are not working right again today. To check this, go into Fixed Income >> Quick Picks, then in Corporate Bonds choose one of the three term categories: 0-5 Year and 10+ Year returns nothing, and 5-10 Year returns a single bond.

When called last week to ask what the problem was, the helpful friendly agent could only offer that "maybe the server is busy". :roll: I guess it is busy all day, every day, but not quite busy enough to return that one bond. :evil:

So I'm getting the quotes from RBCDI. Maybe that is TD's strategy, make their competitors' servers busy as a kind of indirect DOS attack? :lol:

UPDATE: Aug 30, still not working.
Last edited by IdOp on 30 Aug 2011 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Webber22
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Webber22 »

It looks like they're all STRP bonds and not CORP. There are all lot of strip corporate bonds, but a VERY POOR lot
slim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slim »

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting about a 50% chance of getting into any TD website.
Even for an hour at a time.
Am I the only one.
this past saturday I phoned one of the TD waterhouse people, he had no knowledge of any problems. As I was talking to him I got on.
Cant get on right now.

Any one else having this problem?

(after trying about 5 times, just got on again)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I haven't been having any problems over the past days, weeks and I'm usually on most mornings.

What browser, OS, ISP are you using? Are you having problems reaching any other sites?

If you are on Windows, try bringing up a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /flushdns"
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
slim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slim »

thanks, I'll try it!
Inquiring Mind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquiring Mind »

Last week I phoned the local Waterhouse office to discuss opening up a RRIF acount (to take advantage of the pension tax credit). I want to transfer an equity (plus sufficient cash to pay the eventual RRIF withholding amount) from my RRSP account to the RRIF account and then withdraw the equity and hold it in my non-registered account. The person I spoke with insisted that I couldn't make a transfer in kind and that the withholding on the RRIF withdrawal would be based on the entire amount withdrawn not just the amount over the mandated minimum RRIF withdrawal. Even when I insisted he was wrong, he wouldn't budge. I called the President's account no. and got a referral to someone else. The person I eventually spoke with said "oh, my god, he's one of ours" (meaning a Waterhouse rep, not a TDCT employee). She sent him an e-mail to point out his errors.

Just needed to vent.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Seems like the US Thanksgiving holiday has messed up TDW's ability to provide accurate closing prices on US ETFs. All ETFs I own are showing lower prices but they are off by varying amounts, no idea what's going on.

It's scary how poor a job our country's largest discount broker does at telling their customers how much their assets are worth, from the lack of real time balances to this kind of outright incorrect information.
Webber22
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Webber22 »

I heard from a client rep that the TDW platform will be changing in the new year. Anyone have any more info ?
Butler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butler »

I have to say that since I've been trading more regularly I've found myself profoundly dissatisfied with TDW's on line service. The fact they don't update except at midnight is ludicrous. When I make a sale or a buy there is no reason that shouldn't show up immediately in my account. But they don't even update with market changes, as, for example, the Globe's watch list does. I made a buy on a recent Friday during trading, and they didn't update until the following Monday! When I complained to one of their on line people he actually seemed to bristle, saying that of course, their site was up to date. I just had to go to my 'portfolio". But the portfolio is another ludicrous piece of software. Instead of updating your ACTUAL portfolio, they give you a separate section to use where you must manually enter each stock, bond or etf, along with the opening price you paid! Why don't they just give you this as their standard display - complete with the information they already have at hand?
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

TDW - Holdings - change "Book Value View" to "Current Positions View" - hit OK

What would be an improvement would be to allow any view of a particular stock to link directly to the info on that stock at Markets & Research - without having to wait for the M&R page to load, enter the stock symbol, wait for it to search, select the correct symbol if the one you want is not at the top of the list, and then wait a bit longer....
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

http://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/services/wbf ... _guide.pdf
TD Waterhouse wrote:Markets & Research Consolidated Quotes Guide

The Stocks/ETFs/Markets Overview pages now feature a market data quote “ribbon” that spans the top of the page, and reflects consolidated Canadian market data from the TSX exchange, TSX Venture exchange and Alpha ATS (as applicable).

The “Bid/Lots” and “Ask/Lots” quote detail now reflects data from the market with the greatest number of lots (TSX, TSX Venture or Alpha ATS), and is the only non-consolidated data in the quote ribbon.

We’ve made the quote ribbon detachable for convenient real-time access to consolidated market data while you navigate through other areas of WebBroker (including the Order Entry feature on the left navigation bar)

You can refresh the market data on a detached quote ribbon. Simply click the Refresh button on a detached ribbon to update the quote.
Dejavu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

TDW told me by phone today, that they will offer 3rd party GIC,s in their Easyweb Fixed Income window either in January or February 2012.
I presume the offerings will all be CIDC insured. I am looking forward to being able to browse/buy online.
They also confirmed that the TFSA closeout fee is still $125.00 and has not been waived as a CT employee had told me recently. This fee is the reason I never opened a TFSA at TDW.

Edit: TDW just phoned me back and said thay have waived the TFSA close out fee. I said then you must update your website to confirm that. When you do, ( 2weeks approx.) then I will open a TFSA with you.
Dejavu
Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
Dejavu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Just recieved my monthly email notification that TDW statements are ready. TDW shows they are ready also, but they wont load!! Anyone else irritated by this. Seems the email is set to a hair trigger.
Dejavu
Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Dejavu wrote:Just recieved my monthly email notification that TDW statements are ready. TDW shows they are ready also, but they wont load!! Anyone else irritated by this. Seems the email is set to a hair trigger.
Dejavu
The same thing happens at Scotia sometimes, i.e. the email notification is premature. Give it a few days... historical data will still be valid. :wink:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Dejavu wrote:TDW told me by phone today, that they will offer 3rd party GIC,s in their Easyweb Fixed Income window either in January or February 2012.
I presume the offerings will all be CIDC insured. I am looking forward to being able to browse/buy online.
Dejavu
Today I asked a phone agent about this good news, but they said they will only post the rates online, you'll still have to call in to buy. :( Perhaps only a baby step if this turns out to be correct.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

I've only had the Globe Investor Gold streaming quote function for a few weeks, didn't meet the 1M threshold until sometime in early Fall. I've gone back and reread this entire thread today, now somewhat clued in as to what you guys were talking about when referencing it. Thanks for bringing this feature up, TDW doesn't seem to inform their clients of its availability anywhere(grrr :x ).

I like the streaming feature and the level II quotes on the Canadian market but are we SOL for NYSE listings? Those stream but there is no level II link on the screen. The vast majority of my holdings are US ETFs traded on the NYSE Arca, mostly Vanguard products with the odd Schwab alternative for TLH. Surprisingly(at least to me) VXUS is traded on Nasdaq and I can see level II quotes for that ETF but the rest of them are not showing up. Is this everyone else's experience?
Butler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butler »

I was interested in buying a Steadyhand fund and called up TD. They said it was a "special" fund, and so in order to buy it I would have to pay them 2% of the cost. When I asked why such a high cost they claimed that since Steadyhand wasn't paying them anything they needed to charge up front. This struck me as pretty greedy given the rate they were assigning themselves. I mean, do stocks pay TD when I buy one? I pay TD $10 to buy the stock, and that's it. Why should I pay them $200 to buy the steadyhand fund (It has an initial purchase min of $10,000).