Enbridge (Symbol-ENB)..are we getting close to a buy???

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
biggy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Enbridge (Symbol-ENB)..are we getting close to a buy???

Post by biggy »

I've been keeping track of ENB and have decided to look at it more closely if the price drops to the $33 - 34 range. At that range the dividend yield is about 3.3%. The company seems strong and their dividend has been slowly rising over the years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.... thanks....
WC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WC »

Hi

I have ENB and don't plan to sell.
Current div yield is 3.34% I belive.
You want to hold out for that extra 0.1%???
What if the price just dosn't come down? You'll feel pretty *#@% for holding out.
I know I've done it. I guess I'm greedy LOL
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Bought Enbridge at $35 or so and plan on keeping it forever. Ask yourself if you want to own Enbridge when you are old. If yes, the price now doesn't matter, unless you are really old and thinking about your estate! Enbridge, Trans Canada, a couple of banks, TransAlta, Russell, IGM, Power Corp, etc should be part of your blue chip Canadian holdings.
Remember, the dividend tax credit means low tax on these dividends as well. Go for it.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

If you are buying only for the income and are comfortable with a 3.3% yield and 7-8% dividend growth, then you buy it here. However, expect to see little price appreciation for a while or even a price decline because the current PE of 23 is as high as it's been over the past 10 years.

Disclosure: I own ENB.
biggy
Newcomer
Newcomer

P/E Ratio

Post by biggy »

Assuming a P/E ratio of 23 is high , what ratio a more acceptable P/E ratio ?
Operabob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Operabob »

I DRIP it.

They've got an excellent PLAN.

I'm up 167% with more than a third of that from reinvested dividends.

OB
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

what ratio a more acceptable P/E ratio ?
If you go to the G&M site and enter "ENB" into their stock look-up, you will get a nice workup that includes this in the lower left-hand corner:

And it's free. :wink:

P.S. I bought a partial position this morning - not a great price, but a good stock.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shakespeare wrote:a nice workup that includes this
Neat chart but beware of graphic distortions, specifically in P/E and P/B.

Added: The above is a screen print using the pop-up window sized as the G&M web server specified it on creation. Below is the same using full-screen. Note how much "more attractive" the P/E and P/B slider positions look even though all the scale values remain identical.

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Interesting distortion; I would have expected the scaling to be linear on resizing. :shock:

(Nonetheless, the new G&M info is far, far better than Google Finance for Canadian stocks.)
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Shakespeare wrote:If you go to the G&M site and enter "ENB" into their stock look-up, you will get a nice workup that includes this in the lower left-hand corner:
That's a very handy tool; G&M's stock profiler. Thanks for posting the link, Shakes. I have been using this for quick reference, but I've never been completely comfortable with the accuracy of MSN Moneycentral's data for Canadian stocks.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Be very careful of the public databases. The first graph for Microsoft is from Ford Equity Research via TD Waterhouse while the second is the G&M. Note the differences in hi & lo.

ImageImage
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Be very careful of the public databases.
Public databases should, in general, be treated as having an accuracy of 10-20%.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:
Public databases should, in general, be treated as having an accuracy of 10-20%.
Even S&P has problems. It consistently screws up TSE listed companies that also trade in NY. It mishandles the exchange rate based data conversion. Makes you wonder about an analyst's initial report if he accesses the S&P database as a start point. :shock:
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

yielder wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:
Even S&P has problems... Makes you wonder about an analyst's initial report if he accesses the S&P database as a start point. :shock:
Makes you wonder how many more fund managers could beat the monkeys if only they had accurate data to work with ;)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

At $32.37, ENB is now approaching its 52-week low ($32.06). Since I took a position earlier, I will probably not add unless the price drops further ($30?).
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Shakespeare wrote:At $32.37, ENB is now approaching its 52-week low ($32.06). Since I took a position earlier, I will probably not add unless the price drops further ($30?).
I already bought a smidgen this morning at $32.36. A dividend yield of around 3.5% will do me fine in today's market.

This is the first time I've been in a buying mood in months. Bought another small chunk of TRP as well, and added to one of the banks.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Any opinions on enb.pr.d @ 25.65 paying 7.59%?
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
jiHymas
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by jiHymas »

Nemo2 wrote:Any opinions on enb.pr.d @ 25.65 paying 7.59%?
YTW = 3.24% (as interest & capital loss) based on a call 2007-3-17 @ $25.00. A three-month bill pays more.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

jiHymas wrote:
YTW = 3.24% (as interest & capital loss) based on a call 2007-3-17 @ $25.00. A three-month bill pays more.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
jiHymas
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by jiHymas »

Nemo2 wrote:
jiHymas wrote:
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Actually, I should be more specific: my figures above were based on Friday's closing bid of $25.63. At today's closing quote of $25.59-65, the YTW is 3.83-07% (3.83% @ bid, 3.07% @ ask) ... the yield spread gives you an idea of what commission will do to you!
Stan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stan »

Taggart wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:At $32.37, ENB is now approaching its 52-week low ($32.06). Since I took a position earlier, I will probably not add unless the price drops further ($30?).
I already bought a smidgen this morning at $32.36. A dividend yield of around 3.5% will do me fine in today's market.

This is the first time I've been in a buying mood in months. Bought another small chunk of TRP as well, and added to one of the banks.
A little later..... anybody thinking of buying the latest offering at $38.50 today?

Stan
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Too expensive for me.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I passed for the same reason. I notice the offering is still open at TD WH so presumably there aren't many takers.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

ENBRIDGE INC (ENB.TO)

Anyone still following Enbridge, I have some and looking to add to my position?
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I'm interested!

But I find it hard to evaluate/locate an entry point.

The chart on Can. dividend growth stocks on this site suggest ENB is expensive vs. historical yields. When DOES ENB get cheap though, if it consistently raises the dividend and price approximates the rate of div. growth?