Tax paid Dividends

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Tax paid Dividends

Post by par4 »

Should you keep Tax Paid Dividends in your TFSA?
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tax paid Dividends

Post by par4 »

I meant to say should you hold stocks that pay Tax Pd. Div. in your TFSA? :oops:
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

The best holding in your TFSA is pure interest bearing instruments. Next best is dividend paying stocks, then pure capital appreciation stocks.

OTOH total return for banks stocks is above 12% per year for 5 years and interest bearing is under 3%.
Big capital appreciation stocks might attract the attention of the CRA.
For the fun of it...Keith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I used to think so, but learned from FWF that was so misguided. The largest cap appreciation candidates are best in the TFSA. RRSPs are for interest bearing assets and US domiciled assets. In many cases, if there is no room in the TFSA, eligible dividend paying assets are often best in a non-reg account for the dividend tax credit... at least for those in lower tax brackets. The dividend tax credit isn't as good as cap gains for high income earners.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by StuBee »

I have come to the same conclusion as Altared. However, I would change my mind if interest rates were to rise significantly (in excess of 5% on a five year GIC) then I would be inclined to agree with kcowan.
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

StuBee wrote: 16 Feb 2018 15:13 I have come to the same conclusion as Altared. However, I would change my mind if interest rates were to rise significantly (in excess of 5% on a five year GIC) then I would be inclined to agree with kcowan.
Yes, I'd re-think my position too. I am currently hedging my bets with having MAW104 in my TFSA, after being in a 5 year GIC ladder.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

What are Tax Paid Dividends?
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

I remember TD Waterhouse using the code for distributions from income trusts. Not accurate of course, there wasn't any tax already paid.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Looking through my accounts at TDDI, they seem to use "TXPDDV" for distributions from Canadian ETFs and also for a REIT pref that isn't pure dividend income. So extrapolating, I'd guess it's for distributions that are likely to be of mixed tax nature, i.e., not always of pure dividend or pure interest.
Eclectic12
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Eclectic12 »

If it is mixed income, depending on the mix - the TFSA is useful for avoiding the updates to the ACB such as non-cash re-invested distributions from a Canadian ETF or small amounts of RoC.

Investments that pay high RoC like 80% plus of the distribution I prefer in a taxable as being able to use most of the $$ paid without taxes is useful. Eventually, it will be capital gains - one of the better taxed types.

Cheers