Withdrew fund (principle) from non-RSP -question on T5008

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
vmlp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Withdrew fund (principle) from non-RSP -question on T5008

Post by vmlp »

Hello All,

Newbie here, I had some cash ($1500) seating in chequing account, I invested in non-RSP (existing account since 2 years with about 20K invested) in may 2017, I withdrew ($1491) that amount before end of year while keeping the earning of it invested.

For tax filing, I need to report the amount posted on T5008, How I claim that I took my principle amount out?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Vmlp
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Withdrew fund (principle) from non-RSP -question on T5008

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Welcome to FWF.

A Return of Securities Transactions (T5008) just reports your securities transactions and is needed to report the gains and losses you incurred in disposing of securities.

Here is a A simple guide to your Trading Summary (T5008) | TD Bank that might also be helpful to understand the fields and what they mean.
vmlp wrote: 06 Feb 2018 12:49 in may 2017, I withdrew ($1491) that amount before end of year while keeping the earning of it invested.

For tax filing, I need to report the amount posted on T5008, How I claim that I took my principle amount out?
Are you using tax preparation software for your tax filing? If so, the tax filing software should guide you on what information is required from the T5008 to prepare your return. If you are not using tax preparation software (or an accountant), then I would strongly advise doing so, it generally makes tax filing much easier and eliminates mistakes.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

vmlp wrote: 06 Feb 2018 12:49 ...Newbie here, I had some cash ($1500) seating in chequing account, I invested in non-RSP (existing account since 2 years with about 20K invested) in may 2017, I withdrew ($1491) that amount before end of year while keeping the earning of it invested.

If you invested the $1,500 in a stock or ETF or mutual fund, you can't 'withdraw' your principal only.
Here is a simple example: Invest $1,500. Investment increases in value to $3,000. Then take $1,500 out.

In order to take $1,500 out of your broker account you would have had to sell half of your investment. Your $1,500 withdrawal is $750 capital gain and $750 your own money. This will be report on tax return as "proceeds of sale" $1,500. Adjusted cost base $750. Capital gain $750
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

But you didn't withdraw your principle. You withdrew a prorated combination of principle and growth as should be outlined on your T5008.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Principal vs. Principle wrote:If you find yourself having trouble choosing between principal and principle, think about the context. Use principal in reference to a person who is in leadership or to describe the importance of something; use principle to refer to a standard, rule, or guiding belief. One popular mnemonic device to remember this difference is the isolation of “pal” from principal. The principal of your school is your “pal.”
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

adrian2 wrote: 08 Feb 2018 12:47
Principal vs. Principle wrote:If you find yourself having trouble choosing between principal and principle, think about the context. Use principal in reference to a person who is in leadership or to describe the importance of something; use principle to refer to a standard, rule, or guiding belief. One popular mnemonic device to remember this difference is the isolation of “pal” from principal. The principal of your school is your “pal.”
:thumbsup:
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
vmlp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by vmlp »

Thanks All for your responses, I understood it now.
I am going to use a tax software as I been doing for last few years.

Thanks again for your great advises / tips.

-Vmlp
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Thanks to the OP for coming back and providing an update. As other issues/questions arise, hopefully you'll post them.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams