US term deposit in the Canadian bank + T1135

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
johnsmith1
Contributor
Contributor

US term deposit in the Canadian bank + T1135

Post by johnsmith1 »

My US dollar term deposit is over 100k cad with a Canadian bank, do I need to file T1135? TIA!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: US term deposit in the Canadian bank + T1135

Post by AltaRed »

You have not provided enough information on the origin of the product. If it is a US domiciled product like a US Tbill, and it cost you more than $100k CAD equivalent, then yes, my understanding is that it counts towards a T1135. If it is a Cdn domiciled product developed in Canada and sold by your bank, the it does not count. It has to be a foreign asset to count.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
johnsmith1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnsmith1 »

Sorry, it's just a Canadian bank's 6 months US dollar term deposit. The money was in my bank's savings account earning little interests so I purchased a 6 month term deposit. So term deposit, GICs issued by Canadian banks don't count?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

They don't count.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
johnsmith1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnsmith1 »

Further to my question, I know VOO counts. But how about ZSP.U listed on TSX?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

ZSP and ZSP.U are both Cdn domiciled ETFs of the S&P500. Neither one counts. The currency is irrelevant. It is where the asset/product is domiciled that matters.