Sole Proprietorship - Currency Conversion Question

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
vagabundito
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sole Proprietorship - Currency Conversion Question

Post by vagabundito »

Hi there, first off I would like to thank the board for the bits and pieces of information I have gleaned from here over the years.

OK my scenerio,

Sole Proprietorship, earning USD from selling products in the United States. USD is deposited into a USD account. I then transfer it to my US dollar margin account before finally doing norberts gambit to convert it to CAD.

My question is do I calculate my earnings everyday based on the BOC conversion rate and use that to calculate my gross income as I still have USD earned from 2017 not yet converted to CAD.

Then, does the loss via norberts gambit get put in the "other business expenses" box? I would rather claim it against my income in the business than as a capital loss...
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Sole Proprietorship - Currency Conversion Question

Post by DavidR »

I would say that your foreign exchanges losses (and/or gains) are on "income account" rather than "capital", since your USD arise from carrying on a business.
So they would be an 'other business expense' on your T2125 Statement of Business Activities.