living in US but still have brokerage accounts in Canada

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
bladek
Newcomer
Newcomer

living in US but still have brokerage accounts in Canada

Post by bladek »

I'm a Canadian citizen who received green card and moved to U.S. this year.

I realize that I will have to file a tax return with CRA indicating my departure in 2017.

I don't own any property other than stocks in Canadian brokerage accounts. However, at the date of my departure, some stocks had an unrealized gain while majority had unrealized loss (everything combined, I had an unrealized loss). Therefore I assume I wouldn't have to pay any departure tax when filing 2017 return with CRA. Sounds simple...?

Now, I still have these accounts open in Canada, and let's say I want to sell my holdings. What do I report to CRA and what do I report to IRS?

Scenario 1: the stock originally cost me $100, at the date of departure the price was $60 (unrealized loss of $40), the stock now trades at $110.
Therefore it appreciated by $10 from original cost and by $50 from departure date.

Scenario 2: the stock originally cost me $100, at the date of departure the price was $60 (unrealized loss of $40), the stock now trades at $70.
Therefore, it is still at a loss of $30 from original cost but it's appreciated by $10 from departure date.

Scenario 3: the stock originally cost me $100, at the date of departure price was $60 (unrealized loss of $40), the stock now trades at $30.
Therefore, it's at a loss of $70 vs original cost, and at loss of $30 vs departure date value.

Scenario 4: Subsequent to my departure. I now live in US but I still have my Canadian brokerage accounts open. I decide to buy and sell a stock. Do I have to file with CRA and pay taxes on this trade because I disposed of property in Canada? What do I have to pay though, I'm now officially a non resident. And what about IRS? I'm sure I have to report it to them (since IRS taxes its residents on world wide income) but I'm guessing I can claim a tax break or exemption because I filed with CRA and paid them taxes.