CRA emails.

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

CRA emails.

Post by Thegipper »

My spouse received an email message saying she was entitled to a $523 refund. If you follow through on the link it asks for personal information like address, sin number and bank/ credit card number. They all look pretty official. We checked out on line account and we no information or mail from CRA on this item. Curious is this how CRA handles refunds? Since it happened on July 1 I didn't bother phoning Revenue Canada. She didn't complete the form.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: CRA emails.

Post by AltaRed »

Where have you been all this time? This scam has been around for a year or more I believe and well publicized. They are phishing for your SIN, etc. for identity theft. Besides, refunds are direct deposited.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Thegipper wrote: 02 Jul 2017 15:25 We checked out on line account and we no information or mail from CRA on this item.
This says it all.

There's no way the CRA will send you a new Notice of Assessment by email yet leave no trace of this new assessment in your online account!

As AltaRed said, it's a scam.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Jul 2017 15:49 Where have you been all this time? This scam has been around for a year or more I believe and well publicized. They are phishing for your SIN, etc. for identity theft. Besides, refunds are direct deposited.
Sorry. I recall a discussion on phone calls from CRA. I didn't find a posting on this subject. She is expecting a refund in the amount suggested. Everything looked pretty official. The links were all pretty much official CRA. We didn't fall for it and we did the appropriate checks. I will contact CRA tomorrow and provide them with the info. The people behind this scam are pros and I am sure they trick a lot of people into providing their identity information. They indicated the deposit would be a direct deposit and they were requesting this information for security purposes as a pre condition to making the deposit. It was all played out on what appeared to be official CRA forms and web page.Nothing was said about a notice of reassessment. I would expect that CRA might let me know by email that i have some mail in my on-line account.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

There is no identifying information ever provided by CRA in conventional emails. Either they tell you to go toMy Account Inbox (if you have subscribed to online documentation into your My Account Inbox), or you get a snail mail paper copy via Canada Post.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »