Allowable Deductions in a Senior's Home

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Allowable Deductions in a Senior's Home

Post by par4 »

Are there Allowable Medical Tax Ded. in a Retirement Home when you have no disability?
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Allowable Deductions in a Senior's Home

Post by Arby »

I thinks it depends on the services that are supplied by the retirement home. In my mother's case, about 40% of her monthly fee is deductible. The retirement home provides a breakdown of fees between rent and other services. The deductible portion covers services such as 24 hr immediate medical response, on-site health center, supplementary health plan, pharmacy services, social work services. I was surprised that this amount was deductible. CRA questioned the deductible amount in the first 2 years, but since then there have been no questions from CRA.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree the retirement home will/should provide an itemized breakdown of qualifying amounts on an annual basis. Just ask.

The independent facility where my mother lived would/could provide the itemized breakdown of qualifying amounts but we found in our particular case that it was to our advantage to use the pre-CRA approved DTC amounts we had in place for my mother.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OhGreatGuru »

A portion of your annual charges that are related to personal services is eligible as a medical expense - the statements from the Retirement Residence should normally state the amount. See CRA's RC-4065 on Medical Expense. The section on Attendant Care in a Facility. There are a couple of options, depending on whether or not you have a Disability Certificate. There is a table and some examples that explain this.