Does this screen look right to you? (RSP Contribution)

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does this screen look right to you? (RSP Contribution)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

InvestorNewb wrote: 27 Mar 2017 14:30 Thanks for the responses.
AltaRed wrote: 27 Mar 2017 12:38 But also in Image 2, why are you adding a further $10,000 in the "first 60 days of 2017....as a 2016 Contribution"? That now says you are trying to deduct $20009 in total for 2016 when you only have $10009 deduction room. IMO, that latter $10000 in Image 2 should be a zero.
I put this here because I saw "First 60 days of 2017" but didn't quite notice or pay attention to the smaller text "as a 2016 Contribution". I did the same thing last year and didn't encounter any issues with CRA.

Given that I have the next box that says "RRSP deduction to use in 2016" filled in with the appropriate amount, I think I'm fine because I am not trying to deduct $20,009. I am only deducting $10,009.

Also: I feel that if I put 0 in the box that says "First 60 days of 2017" that CRA won't carry this amount over when I file my 2017 return.
Did you ever check what flowed through to Schedule 7 and whether it made sense?

I've just done the first run through on my son's return that involves two RRSP receipts, one for Mar - Dec 2016 and the second for Jan - Feb 2017. UFile handled the various RRSP contribution boxes as expected without generating an error and Schedule 7 reflects the various unused contributions, RRSP receipts and choices on amounts to deduct as expected.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
gobsmack
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Does this screen look right to you? (RSP Contribution)

Post by gobsmack »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 04 Apr 2017 09:47 I've just done the first run through on my son's return that involves two RRSP receipts, one for Mar - Dec 2016 and the second for Jan - Feb 2017. UFile handled the various RRSP contribution boxes as expected ...
OP should probably also make sure he downloads the latest patches/updates before replying.