Futures - Trade gain or loss reporting to CRA

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
invest2008
Newcomer
Newcomer

Futures - Trade gain or loss reporting to CRA

Post by invest2008 »

I gave received trading results from my US broker for trading future contracts of ES (E mini S&P 500) which only gives gross P&L and commissions but When I am using Ufile tax software. it shows that I need to put cost or book value and proceeds of disposition. Can someone help me how can I resolve this issue to report to CRA for tax return.

How I put data fee and other fee charge by US broker AND Wire transfer fee charged by my Canadian bank.

Thank you
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Futures - Trade gain or loss reporting to CRA

Post by deaddog »

Make sure your own records agree with the brokers and use that information.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
invest2008
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by invest2008 »

Thanks deaddog.

But how I report to to CRA using my tax software which requires to put cost value or book price and disposition cost (Sale value).

Thanks

:? :? :?
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

What I did in the past is use 0 as a cost base for a profit, and the profit amount as the proceeds of disposition . Deduct commissions as outlays and expenses.

If you have a capital loss the use the loss as cost base and 0 as the proceeds of distributions.

As long as you have a paper trail showing your trades you should be OK.

Also keep in mind the exchange rate. Be consistent with your method of calculating the exchange rate.
I use the average monthly noon rate from the Bank of Canada website.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
invest2008
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by invest2008 »

Thank you very much deaddog.

The data fee charge by broker and wire transfer fees charge by Canadian bank should be added in expenses related transaction right?

:D :D :D
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

invest2008 wrote: 20 Mar 2017 01:16 Thank you very much deaddog.

The data fee charge by broker and wire transfer fees charge by Canadian bank should be added in expenses related transaction right?

:D :D :D
Don't know about transfer fee but I claimed data fees