Claiming Caregiver and Disability amount as an adjustment

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
Bamage
Newcomer
Newcomer

Claiming Caregiver and Disability amount as an adjustment

Post by Bamage »

Hi

I recently had a T2201 Form filled out by a medical practitioner which proves my brother to be disabled and dependent upon me for basic living needs. He lives with me and was previously dependent on my mom so she was claiming the caregiver amount for him. However, for the 2016 year i started providing his financial costs. So i will now like to claim the caregiver amount for him but i have already filed my taxes and received my Notice of Assessment. So i am wondering if these are the steps i need to take in order to claim the adjustment. I live in Ontario.

- Mail off the T2201 Disability Tax Certificate to CRA and have them approve him as the dependent for me.

- Make an adjustment for line 315 from My Account online on the CRA website, since my brother's net income from disability payments is $14,000 i can only claim line 315, the entire disability amount will be transferred to me.

- Make an adjustment by adding line 318 and claim the entire 8,001 amount which is transferred to me

- Make an adjustment by adding line 5840 on the provincial portion and claim the maximum amount of 4,719.

Is this the proper way of claiming the Caregiver amount as an adjustment?
Thanks.