Special situation drug addiction treatment costs

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Special situation drug addiction treatment costs

Post by Thegipper »

We live in the Calgary area. Our grand daughter has a serious drug addiction problem. She is 15 and has been living in Saskatoon. She has been admitted to a drug rehabilitation clinic in Calgary . My daughter is taking a leave of absence from her job in Saskatoon and will be staying at our home. The program runs for 12 months at a cost of $45,000. We are paying these costs. We will be involved in providing a group home for our grand daughter and other young people involved with this program. The group home situation will be for about 6 months. I have not considered whether there are any tax credits or deduction for the costs that we will be experiencing. My daughter is divorced and will be taking a one year leave of absence from her nursing position . If anyone is aware of any tax angle on this matter it would be appreciated. As the clinic is a not- for -profit clinic with a charitable status it has occurred that perhaps some of the 45k could go as a donation? Any help or advise on the tax treatment side would be appreciated .
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Special situation drug addiction treatment costs

Post by poedin »

I sincerely hope that your family will see this through and wish for the best of outcomes.
(I can't offer any financial related advice, but I personally relate to the psychological+ impacts.)
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

poedin wrote:I sincerely hope that your family will see this through and wish for the best of outcomes.
(I can't offer any financial related advice, but I personally relate to the psychological+ impacts.)
Thank you for good thoughts. When you are dealing with mental or addiction problems you soon realize that there is a giant gap in the healthcare system and the 5 principles of the Canada Health Act is a meaningless piece of newspeak.
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

Thegipper wrote:We live in the Calgary area. Our grand daughter has a serious drug addiction problem. She is 15 and has been living in Saskatoon. She has been admitted to a drug rehabilitation clinic in Calgary . My daughter is taking a leave of absence from her job in Saskatoon and will be staying at our home. The program runs for 12 months at a cost of $45,000. We are paying these costs. We will be involved in providing a group home for our grand daughter and other young people involved with this program. The group home situation will be for about 6 months. I have not considered whether there are any tax credits or deduction for the costs that we will be experiencing. My daughter is divorced and will be taking a one year leave of absence from her nursing position . If anyone is aware of any tax angle on this matter it would be appreciated. As the clinic is a not- for -profit clinic with a charitable status it has occurred that perhaps some of the 45k could go as a donation? Any help or advise on the tax treatment side would be appreciated .
The cost of the program SHOULD qualify as a medical expense-given her age some of it might qualify as tuition too..I'm just not sure whether a grandparent can claim for a grand daughter though unless you can claim her as a dependant.It might be worth checking whether she would qualify for the disability tax credit too although the criteria are very strict.Perhaps your daughter can provide nursing services to the program in exchange for part of the cost? Did she have any family coverage through her work?It might also be worth checking if the father of the child can contribute.Just a few suggestions without prying too much into your affairs.Check the tax tips site re medical expenses and tax credits.
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

izzy wrote:
Thegipper wrote:We live in the Calgary area. Our grand daughter has a serious drug addiction problem. She is 15 and has been living in Saskatoon. She has been admitted to a drug rehabilitation clinic in Calgary . My daughter is taking a leave of absence from her job in Saskatoon and will be staying at our home. The program runs for 12 months at a cost of $45,000. We are paying these costs. We will be involved in providing a group home for our grand daughter and other young people involved with this program. The group home situation will be for about 6 months. I have not considered whether there are any tax credits or deduction for the costs that we will be experiencing. My daughter is divorced and will be taking a one year leave of absence from her nursing position . If anyone is aware of any tax angle on this matter it would be appreciated. As the clinic is a not- for -profit clinic with a charitable status it has occurred that perhaps some of the 45k could go as a donation? Any help or advise on the tax treatment side would be appreciated .
The cost of the program SHOULD qualify as a medical expense-given her age some of it might qualify as tuition too..I'm just not sure whether a grandparent can claim for a grand daughter though unless you can claim her as a dependant.It might be worth checking whether she would qualify for the disability tax credit too although the criteria are very strict.Perhaps your daughter can provide nursing services to the program in exchange for part of the cost? Did she have any family coverage through her work?It might also be worth checking if the father of the child can contribute.Just a few suggestions without prying too much into your affairs.Check the tax tips site re medical expenses and tax credits.
Thanks Izzy for a lot of good ideas.
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

Fingers crossed and hoping for her speedy recovery.It may be presumptuous of me but I suspect I can speak for everyone here in wishing you well!
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
active
Contributor
Contributor

Post by active »

Thegipper, unfortunately, from what I experienced with the son of good friends, the Rehab might not be a one time thing. The cost now might just be the start of it.

Maybe you can arrange a joint custody situation for the time being to get some tax deductions to make things easier.

Good vibes to you and your family.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

It will be a long term thing. Once she is through the program she will be in a private school like Notre Dame college at Wilcox Sk. It's a program with discipline, focus ,leadership and direction. It's out on the prairies with nothing but open prairie in all directions and no drug dealers to be scene or to be heard or if they show up look out for tar and feathers. My choice is very simple intervene and save them or bury them . It's appalling to see what is happening to so many young people. Fortunately I have the financial resources to help this girl. It's a major issue facing society. Every second day it seems I see a story of a young person dying from drugs. I want to thank everyone for their understanding and support.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

My grand daughter graduated from this program on March 18. She is doing very well. Close to 600 teens have graduated from this program since 1992. The U of Maryland is studying the program and whispers indicate that something like 83% of succeeded in living a life of sobriety. I thought I should share this with the good people who showed me me their support in 2016.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

That's great news. Thanks for the update.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Indeed! :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom