Canadian citizen, working for US employer since Sept 2015

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
dileepsv
Newcomer
Newcomer

Canadian citizen, working for US employer since Sept 2015

Post by dileepsv »

Hi all,

Thank you for viewing this thread first of all.

I am a new resident of US, originally from Waterloo, Ontario. Looking for some help regarding tax filing for both US and Canada.

I started work around late September of last year with a US-based employer and am on my TN visa currently.

1) How should I proceed to file my taxes ? Get an account firm or quick tax/turbo tax software for both US & Canada?

I have a CC, Student loan and chequing account in Canada which I intend to pay off and close eventually. I know we have to file the 1040 NR in the States and Departure return in Canada. Can this be done using Turbo tax for both countries ??
2) File a Non resident return for US in 2015. However, for the next year, file as a resident of US. so basically a 1040 NR in 2015 and 1040 in 2016, is that how it should be done?

3) When do people have double taxation issues - is it only applicable to those Canadian citizens work or sell/rent property in Canada while also being employed in US?
4) What is the benefit of declaring a non resident of Canada and removing health care and any & all ties to Canada.

Thank you so much for your valuable support.

Best Regards,
Dileep