Studio Tax questions

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Studio Tax questions

Post by DenisD »

On later versions of Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool instead of Print Screen to capture part of the screen.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

DenisD wrote:On later versions of Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool instead of Print Screen to capture part of the screen.
I'll be damned! That is handy.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

I should add that I've never had a problem with printing the Summary or selecting individual forms to print prior to this year. However I was using Windows and now I have a Macbook Air. The Summary is an included Studio Tax form, AltaRed, which sums up/compares the income,deductions and tax payable from this and the previous two tax years. You'll see it under federal forms in the top left hand panel ... at least it does on mine. It's not the bottom left hand panel and starts off "150 Total Income" when you open it.

Just like to keep something handy to compare the past years with my present file, nothing more.

I got around the problem by taking a screenshot, and for those who wish the same - that is, a panel within the body of the software - you push command shift and 4 simultaneously and the cursor changes to a crosshair pointer which you then drag to select the area. When you let go of the mouse it automatically takes the screenshot and puts it on your desktop.

Edited later today ...
Just received an email from the Studio Tax team
You used the “Individual Forms” print option on the Windows version. That option is not available on the Mac.
Last edited by bpither on 29 Apr 2016 20:51, edited 4 times in total.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Must be different for Macs. In any event, I've not needed to print a Summary using Studio Tax.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Irwin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Irwin »

2014 Studio Tax result very closely matched my accountant's numbers.

2015 the pro says I owe $200 more tax than Studio Tax shows.

I obviously need to simplify my holdings to the point where I can dispense with the accountant. ha!

How about unlimited TFSA?
- there's a wet dream :shock:
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

There is always a reason for a discrepancy if programs start with the same input information. That is why I run a check program for StudioTax - in my case it is TaxFreeway and I can always find out why if they do not agree to within a few cents. After inputting all my data I found StudioTax with a $6+ higher refund. On inspection I found that TaxFreeway had not credited Foreign Tax paid from 2 of my T3s, it was a small amount but was not included because I had neglected to tick Foreign Country on the input.
I suggest you get your accountant's tax results and compare them section by section with StudioTax to find the discrepancy.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Studio Tax 2016 is now available for download.
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

CROCKD wrote:Studio Tax 2016 is now available for download.
Thanks! I used it, last year. I liked it.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Studio Tax 2017 is now available for download.
I have downloaded and entered most of my data as I know pension amounts, donations etc. The only information I cannot enter is my investment information as some of that will not be available until the beginning of April.
I have chosen not to allow the CRA auto populate option as I am leery of that with reports last year of errors in the data.
xq1xq1xq1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by xq1xq1xq1 »

I'm getting this error

A negative amount is not allowed at Box 118 of T5013(1)

How do I override this?

the partnership had a loss so negative is correct

thx