UFile 2011

Income tax policy, rules, problems, strategy and software. Property and consumption taxes too.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: UFile 2011

Post by Springbok »

big easy wrote:Tax freeway is $10 for 20 returns. Or you can download for free (cannot print or e-file) if you just want to check your u-file numbers.
:) :) You can lead a horse to water etc etc :) :)

If others want to pay more for U-File or Turbotax $$$ then, so be it.

A handful of us will just have a few extra $$ to invest ;)

The seniors free Friday for U-File might be attractive, but I want my files on my computer.
Raul
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Raul »

....Have you contacted UFile about this?
Yes, have passed-on details.
Regards;
Raul
Darrell Greenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Darrell Greenwood »

Springbok wrote: The seniors free Friday for U-File might be attractive, but I want my files on my computer.
I use "seniors free Friday for U-File" and Netfile. I have my files on my computer in the form of a 30 page pdf of my tax return.

I am not noting this to be disagreeable to you, but for others who may assume you can't have your files on your computer if you use UFile online. One can have their files on their computer with Ufile Online and and I do.

Cheers,

Darrell

p.s., I keep a second user id going on Ufile online for 'what if' analysis. It is available all year and has been for the last 4 years.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Darrell Greenwood wrote:
Springbok wrote: The seniors free Friday for U-File might be attractive, but I want my files on my computer.
I use "seniors free Friday for U-File" and Netfile. I have my files on my computer in the form of a 30 page pdf of my tax return.

I am not noting this to be disagreeable to you, but for others who may assume you can't have your files on your computer if you use UFile online. One can have their files on their computer with Ufile Online and and I do.

Cheers,

Darrell
Daryl,
You can no doubt keep a pdf or even a printed copy of your return. I was talking about the complete program and it's input data files. But by using the on-line return, can you re-run your return later at any time using new data?

I often use Taxfreeway to look at various scenarios for future years. Not 100% accurate but close.
Darrell Greenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Springbok wrote: Daryl,
You can no doubt keep a pdf or even a printed copy of your return. I was talking about the complete program and it's input data files. But by using the on-line return, can you re-run your return later at any time using new data?

I often use Taxfreeway to look at various scenarios for future years. Not 100% accurate but close.
Yes, I can run my return online at any time, quickly and easily. No, the program code is not on my computer. It doesn't bother me that the program code is not on my computer, Ufile is smart enough not to mess with its customers. They provide the code 24x7x365x4 online in my experience and that is good enough for me.

Cheers,

Darrell
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Darrell Greenwood wrote:
Springbok wrote: Daryl,

Yes, I can run my return online at any time, quickly and easily. No, the program code is not on my computer. It doesn't bother me that the program code is not on my computer, Ufile is smart enough not to mess with its customers. They provide the code 24x7x365x4 online in my experience and that is good enough for me.

Cheers,

Darrell
Sounds like a good deal. Free is always good! I will try and remember to sign in on Friday and give it a try.
Darrell Greenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Springbok wrote: Sounds like a good deal. Free is always good! I will try and remember to sign in on Friday and give it a try.
You can sign up and play today. Do the entries, get the calculations and summary, see how it works.

When their Free File Friday comes this Friday entering the code "543P292"* on the return will unlock the pdf printing and Netfile capability. You can only enter the code on this coming Friday.

Cheers,

Darrell

*From http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-and-t ... iling.aspx
"Simply log on to UFile ONLINE and start a new file (or open your pre-existing file if you already used UFile last year) on Free File Friday, February 24th, 2012.

Enter this code 543P292 in the Special Offers page found in your UFile program, located near the bottom of the QuikClik Navigator."
Raul
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Raul »

Regarding the Trillium Benefit Calculation (Ontario). The numbers on the ON-BEN form are not being transferred correctly to Trillium Benefit Calculation Sheet.

Heard back from UFile and they acknowledge problem. Their explanation:...."As the Ontario government changes were recently done, we are still working on the final form of the estimator for the trillium benefit. In March UFile will have an update where the estimator will be the proper format. This estimator is only information for the tax payer, the final calculations been done by the government, based on the tax returns received."
Regards;
Raul
Curmudgeon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Curmudgeon »

j831robert wrote:UFile announced today their 'free tax file day' as 24 Feb 2012.
http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-and-t ... spx#over60

IMHO, UFile is much better than QuickTurboTax.
Inquiring Mind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquiring Mind »

I have taken advantage of the Ufile offer for seniors in previous years so have an account. However, when I log on I can't find the Special Offers page that is supposed to be near the bottom of the QuikClik Navigator. There is no scroll bar on that section of the screen, and I see three headings under QCN: Identification, CRA Questions, and Interview Setup. Since I was able to do this in other years I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong this time. Any suggestions?
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

Same problem for me. I imagine they don"t have it completely set up yet. I have sent them an email asking about the problem. Maybe later in the day
Joe
gouthro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gouthro »

I found the problem with Ufile. As soon as I started clicking the boxes on the first page and then went to the next, the quickclick navigator appeared in a different form and at the bottom, sure enough, was the special offers page.
Joe
Inquiring Mind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquiring Mind »

Thanks for that. It worked for me, too. But it sure isn't intuitive!
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Tried to sign in for a couple of hours to register for tax free Friday.

The website is down supposedly for maintenance.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Tax Free Friday for seniors. What a great idea EXCEPT

This website is temporarily unavailable. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

I guess they underestimated the traffic.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Signed on today and it is still offering Free Friday login.
For the fun of it...Keith
Darrell Greenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Reply from Ufile Help Desk to my complaint yesterday about the site being down:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting UFile customer support.

Our website is currently experiencing technical difficulties for an undetermined amount of time.
The Free File Friday promotion running today for those 60 and over will also run on Friday March 2nd to ensure those applicable will be able to file for free.

If you were doing your taxes during this time, your information will be saved excluding the page you were on when it happened.

Please try to log in later and we thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Caroline on behalf of the UFile Team

Cheers,

Darrell
Donut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donut »

Friday March 2.
I tried to sign on to free Ufile today but could not find "Special Offers" near the bottom of Quik Clik. Has anyone been successful in signing in today?
Donut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donut »

OK It's now 10 AM on March 2 and they have now put up the "special Offer" option at teh bottom of quik clik.
faeriequeene
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by faeriequeene »

Ufile appears to be calculating a CPP overpayment incorrectly and refunding a portion of the CPP on the return. The program is allowing the full $3500 exemption, when that exemption should be pro-rated over the year. The program has no way of knowing if the contributor worked for the entire year or just a portion of the year. Is there a way to turn this off in the program?
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

faeriequeene wrote:Ufile appears to be calculating a CPP overpayment incorrectly and refunding a portion of the CPP on the return. The program is allowing the full $3500 exemption, when that exemption should be pro-rated over the year. The program has no way of knowing if the contributor worked for the entire year or just a portion of the year. Is there a way to turn this off in the program?
You are making an incorrect assumption. There is no pro-rating of $3,500, regardless of the period worked throughout the year.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

adrian2 wrote:
faeriequeene wrote:Ufile appears to be calculating a CPP overpayment incorrectly and refunding a portion of the CPP on the return. The program is allowing the full $3500 exemption, when that exemption should be pro-rated over the year. The program has no way of knowing if the contributor worked for the entire year or just a portion of the year. Is there a way to turn this off in the program?
You are making an incorrect assumption. There is no pro-rating of $3,500, regardless of the period worked throughout the year.
OK then-here's a question for you experts.My wife turns 65 in September 2012.She has been collecting CPP since she turned 60 so no CPP contributions were necessary until the changes this year..If I employ her in my corporation to do some bookwork (minimal since I am now semi-retired) and pay her $300 a month ($3600 per year)do I have to withold CPP contributions on the extra $100 over the $3500 exemption since she is under 65 for 8 months? or is she exempt because her earnings whilst still under age 65 will be less than $3500?
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

In your wife's case, I think the exemption is pro-rated until she turns 65, unless she chooses to contribute after the magic number.

For people starting to draw benefits at age 65 or older, the exemption applies partially for the year they start drawing.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

adrian2 wrote:In your wife's case, I think the exemption is pro-rated until she turns 65, unless she chooses to contribute after the magic number.

For people starting to draw benefits at age 65 or older, the exemption applies partially for the year they start drawing.
So I guess I must send them 80 odd cents every month for the next 8 months-probably cost more than that to process the damn payment. :evil:
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."