Buffett Buffet

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Descartes
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Re: Buffett Buffet

Post by Descartes » 16 May 2016 13:07

Financing a buy-out of Yahoo internet assets too.
Warren seems to now understand technology stocks a bit more than he once claimed.
Probably the influence of his bridge partner..or encroaching senility: 15 years to centenary ..or bust.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."

Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 15 Nov 2016 00:40

The times are a changin'.
The billionaire said in 2001 that he’d sworn off investing in airline stocks after earlier lamenting the “mistake” of betting on US Airways Group Inc. He added that the industry had been unprofitable from the time of Wilbur and Orville Wright through 1991.

“Now if I get the urge to invest in airlines, I call an 800 number, and I say: Hello, my name is Warren, and I’m an air-o-holic,” he said. “Sometimes, it takes them 10 minutes to talk me out of it, sometimes more.”
Was the 800 number taken out of service :lol: because ... Berkshire Bets on Airlines With Stakes in American, Delta - Bloomberg
Berkshire held 21.8 million shares of American Airlines Group Inc. as of Sept. 30, valued at almost $800 million at the time, according to a regulatory filing Monday from the billionaire’s Omaha, Nebraska-based business. Buffett’s company also reported 6.33 million shares of Delta Air Lines Inc. and another 4.53 million of United Continental Holdings Inc., according to the filing. And Berkshire added an investment in Southwest Airlines Co. after Sept. 30, CNBC reported, citing Buffett.
It might also be worthy to take note
Bloomberg wrote:Berkshire cut its Wal-Mart stake in the third quarter by about two-thirds to 13 million shares. Buffett’s company exited a holding in Suncor Energy Inc.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Spidey
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Spidey » 18 Nov 2016 19:26

If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle

GreatLaker
Silver Ring
Silver Ring

Becoming Warren Buffett (HBO Movie)

Post by GreatLaker » 01 Feb 2017 16:45

HBO is airing a made for TV movie called Becoming Warren Buffet, Thursday Feb 2 at 5:40. It has some interesting glimpses into his life and history.

http://www.hbocanada.com/details/gp1222 ... en-buffett

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6438096/?ref_=nv_sr_1
The first principle in speculating is never give anyone advice to buy or sell shares,
because, where perspicacity is weakened, the most benevolent advice can turn out badly.
Joseph de la Vega

kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by kcowan » 01 Feb 2017 17:07

Thanks. Got the PVR set.
For the fun of it...Keith

Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 01 Feb 2017 17:09

It already air out here on Monday night, so the HBO Canada schedule must be showing upcoming repeats. I particularly found his morning breakfast routine an interesting contrast to his wealth :lol:
GreatLaker wrote:Thursday Feb 2 at 5:40.
Is that for all of Canada? Hint, HBO Canada, like most many websites, defaults to Eastern Time.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

scomac
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by scomac » 01 Feb 2017 17:11

I watched the documentary Monday night on HBO. It was very well done. I found it to be quite "personal" rather than simply presenting facts and timelines. :thumbsup:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830

ghariton
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by ghariton » 08 Feb 2017 12:51

Greece's financial crisis is not over.
Greece pushed back against the International Monetary Fund’s view that the government’s economic reforms are heading off track.

In official responses, published with an IMF report on Greece late Tuesday, Finance Minister Euclid Tsakalotos said the fund’s assessment was not based on recent evidence, while Bank of Greece governor Yannis Stournaras said it downplayed progress on the financial sector and was unduly pessimistic.

Talks between Greece and creditors for the completion of the second review of its 86 billion-euro ($92 billion) bailout program have stalled over significant differences between the IMF and euro area on projections for Greece’s economy, targets and debt sustainability. A deal between creditors is needed by a meeting of euro-area finance ministers in Brussels on Feb. 20, before the Dutch elections on March 15. After that, reaching agreement could become even trickier.
I suppose that this gives rise to an investment opportunity. Tried of getting 1% or 2% on your fixed income? Step up to 10% instead:
The yield on two-year notes neared 10 percent on Tuesday as the quarrel fueled concern the country is running out of time to complete the review before the busy election season begins. The yield rose 10 basis points to 9.83 percent at 10:49 a.m. in Athens.
George
The plural of anecdote is NOT data.

DenisD
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by DenisD » 25 Feb 2017 23:30

Thegipper
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Thegipper » 26 Feb 2017 15:22

I think he is on CNBC the early morning show with Becky. That is Feb 27.

Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 10 Jan 2018 11:49

And then there were two? Sizing Up Warren Buffett's Successor - Bloomberg Gadfly
Bloomberg wrote:Greg Abel and Ajit Jain are shaping up to be the next generation's Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger -- the largest shoes anyone in Corporate America will have to fill.

On Wednesday morning, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. announced that both executives were added to the board. Abel, the company's energy division head, was appointed vice chairman of non-insurance business operations and Jain, who runs reinsurance, was made vice chairman of everything insurance-related. It's a significant gesture toward Buffett's succession and the clearest indication yet as to who will lead the conglomerate when the Oracle of Omaha is gone. Buffett is 87, while his trusty sidekick Munger just turned 94 last week. They're staying in their own current roles as chairman and CEO and vice chairman, respectively.
Other than appointing the two to board, this is relatively old news as Abel and Jain have long been considered the front runners.

AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Post by AltaRed » 10 Jan 2018 12:01

Well planned, well strategized succession planning. Good companies groom their succession for years for a seamless (as can be) transition.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom

DanH
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Post by DanH » 19 Feb 2018 21:21

Here is a transcript of Charlie Munger's talk and Q&A from the annual meeting of the Daily Journal. Lots of interesting stuff here.