market crash Feb 2018

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

market crash Feb 2018

Post by hamor »

You guys disappoint me ;)
I have to learn on some other site (I don't watch/read/listen to ANY news) that the market went down like 5% yesterday and there's no mention of it here on FWF ..? :roll:
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: market crash Feb 2018

Post by longinvest »

My calendar doesn't indicate a contribution/rebalance date, yet.

It's boring, with a boring 50/50 portfolio. It's how I like it.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
GreatLaker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GreatLaker »

Something happened in the market? I was out enjoying my retirement. :ugeek:

As s rookie investor on Black Monday 1987 I was 100% equities and highly leveraged. What me worry. :rofl:
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I am no longer young.
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

GreatLaker wrote: 07 Feb 2018 19:58 As s rookie investor on Black Monday 1987 I was 100% equities and highly leveraged. What me worry. :rofl:
Ah yeah, good times :shock:
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

hamor wrote: 07 Feb 2018 19:50 You guys disappoint me ;)
I have to learn on some other site (I don't watch/read/listen to ANY news) that the market went down like 5% yesterday and there's no mention of it here on FWF ..? :roll:
Are you aware that S&P 500 was up 7.5% after the first three weeks of January?

We crashed all the way back to the dark days of Christmas 2017. :wink:

BTW:

Monday's drop was the 39th worst of the last 39 years.

The run of 404 days before that without a 5% drawdown had never happened.

Monday wasn't the weird thing. It ended the weird thing.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

hamor wrote: 07 Feb 2018 19:50 You guys disappoint me ;)
You didn't see or read Start your engines !!!?

BTW, I wouldn't call it anything like a crash. Black Monday was a crash. For some other terminology check out what I posted in the linked topic:
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 06 Feb 2018 07:01 We haven't yet hit Correction territory,
Investopedia wrote:A correction is a reverse movement, usually negative, of at least 10% in a stock, bond, commodity or index to adjust for an overvaluation. Corrections are generally temporary price declines interrupting an uptrend in the market or an asset. A correction has a shorter duration than a bear market or a recession, but it can be a precursor to either.
Much further to go until we reach Bear Market territory,
Investopedia wrote:A bear market is a condition in which securities prices fall and widespread pessimism causes the stock market's downward spiral to be self-sustaining. Investors anticipate losses as pessimism and selling increases. Although figures vary, a downturn of 20% or more from a peak in multiple broad market indexes, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) or Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500), over a two-month period is considered an entry into a bear market.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by hamor »

No, I didn't. You see, I have aversion to topics named like news headlines, did I mention I don't watch news..?
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

hamor wrote: 07 Feb 2018 22:28 did I mention I don't watch news..?
As an investor that's probably a good thing. Keep it up!
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

I have a bit of play money in MCHI. Over the last few dats it went from USD $73.91 to USD $68.29. With the appreciation of the USD, even that didn't amount to a correction.

I identify four zones

Down 10 % a correction, nothing to see here folks

Down 20 % a bear market, interesting but still not enough of a drop to cause any change in course

Down 50 % I start to feel a bit anxious but I still stay the course, or so experience tells me

Down 66 % I do feel worried. Last time it happened I went back to work.

My experience has shown that a well-diversified portfolio recovers within a year or two of the worst crashes. I still have enough years in front of me to survive that. In the meantime, my fixed income could keep me going for five years or so, without any significant reduction in life style (which is very frugal, as it has to be with two dogs). The wild card is extended intensive health care, but that doesn't usually last for more than a few years.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

hamor wrote: 07 Feb 2018 22:28
No, I didn't. You see, I have aversion to topics named like news headlines, did I mention I don't watch news..?
:thumbsup: The headline for this thread included. This pullback doesn't warrant any headlines.

P.S. It is a gorgeous month to be on Hawaiian beaches.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I PVR Bloomberg Technology and every daily episode starts with a market update so I got a glimpse of it on Saturday.

The weather in PV is similar to Hawaii but drier. Although the cold front NOTB has caused more high cloud and higher humidity.
For the fun of it...Keith
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

Please change the thread title to: ' Healthy Market Correction of February 2018 has Arrived!' :beer:
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

shmenge wrote: 08 Feb 2018 10:51 Please change the thread title to: ' Healthy Market Correction of February 2018 has Arrived!' :beer:
How about: Volatility Arrives in February 2018.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

shmenge wrote: 08 Feb 2018 10:51 Please change the thread title to: ' Healthy Market Correction of February 2018 has Arrived!' :beer:
Haha.

I took advantage of falling market prices to increase holdings in enb, enf, ema, trp, and bce. Their price has continued to fall (market timing has never been my forte) but as long as they continue to pay their dividends, I'm happy. I also finally bought WEÈD - my only stock that does not pay a dividend. It's a "play money" purchase I intend to unload when i can sell at a 10% profit. I'd be annoyed if it got busted, but can afford the loss. I still have large holdings in cash for security or future bargains.

Hawaii is too far away for me. After a very cold January, the Gulf waters have started to warm up. My favourite beach in the world is Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island, Fla. So far i have resisted the Island real estate as an alternative investment to stocks and gics.
Regards,
Pickles
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Neither a crash nor a correction yet, still in pullback stage at worse.

BTW, what "market" are we talking about, the S&P/TSX, the S&P 500, the Dow, the ...

scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Pickles wrote: 08 Feb 2018 11:16
Haha.

I took advantage of falling market prices to increase holdings in enb, enf, ema, trp, and bce. Their price has continued to fall (market timing has never been my forte) but as long as they continue to pay their dividends, I'm happy. I also finally bought WEÈD - my only stock that does not pay a dividend. It's a "play money" purchase I intend to unload when i can sell at a 10% profit. I'd be annoyed if it got busted, but can afford the loss. I still have large holdings in cash for security or future bargains.

Hawaii is too far away for me. After a very cold January, the Gulf waters have started to warm up. My favourite beach in the world is Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island, Fla. So far i have resisted the Island real estate as an alternative investment to stocks and gics.
I would have thought that you would be having far too much fun to be bothered with shopping, Pickles! :lol:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

kcowan wrote: 08 Feb 2018 08:15 I PVR Bloomberg Technology and every daily episode starts with a market update so I got a glimpse of it on Saturday.

The weather in PV is similar to Hawaii but drier. Although the cold front NOTB has caused more high cloud and higher humidity.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

scomac wrote: 08 Feb 2018 12:11
Pickles wrote: 08 Feb 2018 11:16
I took advantage of falling market prices to increase holdings in enb, enf, ema, trp, and bce. Their price has continued to fall (market timing has never been my forte) but as long as they continue to pay their dividends, I'm happy. I also finally bought WEÈD [snip]

.... After a very cold January, the Gulf waters have started to warm up. My favourite beach in the world is Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island, Fla. So far i have resisted the Island real estate as an alternative investment to stocks and gics.
I would have thought that you would be having far too much fun to be bothered with shopping, Pickles! :lol:
Was sick for a couple of weeks, scomac, and had lots of time to play around with my portfolio!
Regards,
Pickles
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Pickles wrote: 08 Feb 2018 11:16 After a very cold January, the Gulf waters have started to warm up. My favourite beach in the world is Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island, Fla. So far i have resisted the Island real estate as an alternative investment to stocks and gics.
Hey! I'm on my way to Anna Maria Island in 2 weeks. I'll have a pint in Duffy's for you! :beer: :thumbsup:
There are too many hurricanes to worry about with property ownership on the island. We rent a nice condo within easy walking distance of the "Sandbar" instead.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

To me, so far, the market drop isn't a very interesting event. I remember not very long ago thinking that once the Dow topping 20,000 would be quite a yardstick. It is still well over 23,000 even after recent drops. TSX may be getting a little overly beaten up however but that seems par for the course when the Americans are selling. I suspect this is just the market taking a bit of a "breather" but it will be interesting to see how the coming months play out.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
Irwin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Irwin »

U-alls talking about PV and Ha-why-u crack me up, posting here.

By my rough tally I count three feet of snow so far this winter - above average for this part of AB - and I had good workout shovelling snow today. Feels good man !
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 06 Feb 2018 07:01 We haven't yet hit Correction territory,
Investopedia wrote:A correction is a reverse movement, usually negative, of at least 10% in a stock, bond, commodity or index to adjust for an overvaluation. Corrections are generally temporary price declines interrupting an uptrend in the market or an asset. A correction has a shorter duration than a bear market or a recession, but it can be a precursor to either.
We got there today. S&P 500 is 10.16% off its January high.
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Yes, another big drop today. ISTM that some people are locking in their losses.

Spent January in Hawaii; got back last Sunday. So much work to do after the vacation cleaning up the yard. Picking up blown down branches, hauling debris to dump, pruning trees, applying lime to the lawn, weeding beds.... Neighbour is cutting his grass; I will wait a week for that. Good to be home :roll:
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Pickles wrote: 08 Feb 2018 14:48
Was sick for a couple of weeks, scomac, and had lots of time to play around with my portfolio!
Sometimes I'm amazed at how similar my life is to others on FWR. I'm on Longboat Key, a few miles south of Pickles. And like Pickles, I was sick for the past 2 weeks. Finally feeling better this week after seeing a doctor and getting a prescription for antibiotics. I was impressed by the USA health system. I walked into the local urgent care center and saw a doctor after a 15 minutes wait. Doctor visit was $150, but the prescription was free at the local Publix pharmacy.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Insomniac wrote: 08 Feb 2018 17:35 So much work to do after the vacation cleaning up the yard. Picking up blown down branches, hauling debris to dump, pruning trees, applying lime to the lawn, weeding beds.... Neighbour is cutting his grass; I will wait a week for that.
FWF and the markets, basically....