How can Cash Flow be less than Earnings

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Mouly
Contributor
Contributor

How can Cash Flow be less than Earnings

Post by Mouly »

Maybe I'm not understanding the definitions, or I'm simplifying too much.... but how can Cash Flow be less than Earnings.

I thought Cash Flow was roughly Earnings plus depreciation. So for example I'm seeing that JNJ in 2016 had Earnings Per Share of $6.04 and Cash Flow Per Share of $5.93 So does that mean JNJ had negative depreciation? What does that mean? Something like a brand name has become more valuable? I guess I'm used to depreciation on physical assets that decline in value.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: How can Cash Flow be less than Earnings

Post by FinEcon »

Google the phrase 'accrual accounting'
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

The classic case study when I was in university was W.T. Grant Company. It's an extreme but interesting case study in earnings quality and the importance of careful cash flow analysis.

Added: Here is a presentation on the same topic.
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

In some of the final Nortel years, being desperate for sales, NT would sell equipment to some dot.com companies where they actually finance the stuff for them. So the dot.com is buying the equipment, NT is booking the sale and consequent net income, but they are not receiving the cash...and in some cases, probably never will.

That is an example where the income statement will tell a much rosier picture then their cash flow statement.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Earnings are a figment of your CFOs imagination. Free cash flow is hard to fudge.
For the fun of it...Keith
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

If you're using your earnings to pay down debt, or to purchase capital stock, your cash flow can be well below earnings. Neither is an expense.