cryptocurrencies and mining

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: cryptocurrencies and mining

Post by hamor »

thanks
Oh and sounds like about $70M were hacked and stolen yesterday :rofl:
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

The bitcoin exchange that was hacked was NiceHash. The majority owner of NiceHash is a company named H-Bit, owned by Martin Skorjanc, the father of Matjaz Skorjanc, convicted author of the Mariposa bot. The younger Skorjanc is also the CTO and co-founder of NiceHash. He spent some time in prison in Slovenia for his hacking. Coincidence perhaps?

Probably not a good idea to go into a business owned by convicted criminals. :)
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

An interesting article for the non-mathematical on how bitcoins work, why they are so volatile, and the political ramifications. Good read.

http://nautil.us/issue/55/trust/the-bitcoin-paradox
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
OhGreatGuru
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OhGreatGuru »

And the "value" of bitcoins had dropped 25% in the past week. Sounds like the smart speculators are cashing in their chips for real money while they can.
doom_diver
Contributor
Contributor

Post by doom_diver »

Yeah sitting really wealthy at the moment.

I own only three cryptos, Bitcoin, Eth and Litecoin. I’m going to keep the money there for a long time though, so it’ll be interesting to see how much more I get.

Originally I invested in cryptos because I thought instead of using dollars for in game transactions you would instead use bitcoin. (So like Runescape, Eve Online etc..)

Cryptos aren’t volatile, just a lot of people who sell too fast. Look at Eth in July/August and that only happened because 4chan made a rumour the founder was dead.

It’s a wonder though where these exchanges are putting the money. I sit in fear of how this will effect bank stocks.
junior miner
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by junior miner »

I find that not much is very safe, unfortunately, as everything is controlled by data nowadays. And I don't know about the USA and other parts of the world, but here, a lots of bank are removing teller-counters and switching them for ATM only (having the guts to tell customers they can do a lot online from now on; :x the irony is some of these remote regions don't have very fast internet access available) Anyways, I would suggest reading these articles if you have any other thoughts on the matter.