CMHC to Give Otttawa Special 4 Billion Dollar Dividend

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

CMHC to Give Otttawa Special 4 Billion Dollar Dividend

Post by Hogwild »

CMHC to Give Ottawa a Special 4 Billion Dollar Dividend after Hiking Mortgage Insurance Premiums
http://business.financialpost.com/real- ... 3669b43245

This comes across to me as propaganda/signalling that "hey, the housing market is healthy(ier than you think).
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: CMHC to Give Otttawa Special 4 Billion Dollar Dividend

Post by kcowan »

or maybe proof that CMHC is overcharging for its insurance?
For the fun of it...Keith
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

kcowan wrote: 29 Jun 2017 14:41 or maybe proof that CMHC is overcharging for its insurance?
Nope, it just proves that so far, the going's been good.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

adrian2 wrote: 29 Jun 2017 14:43
kcowan wrote: 29 Jun 2017 14:41 or maybe proof that CMHC is overcharging for its insurance?
Insurance companies are paid to anticipate the future. Maybe this just proves that they are political hacks?
:roll:
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

I side with the overcharging argument :twisted: ... that's unfair. Let's ditch CMHC, to make it fair. :thumbsup:
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

They're not a monopoly, so nothing's stopping other insurers from charging less. There are no purely private insurers willing to enter the market at all (Genworth et. al. are backed 90% by the government), so that tells me CMHC is charging too little, not too much.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

Kind of ruins the argument that CMHC is in place to support or "bail out" the banks. Don't forget that the banks also pay CDIC premiums which also have totalled in the billions over the years. Also capital taxes.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree it likely just demonstrates loan losses have been less than expected. From my perspective, it is important that CMHC (and thus mortgagors) pay for the ultimate taxpayer backstop because when all hell breaks loose, the Feds and thus the taxpayer is likely NOT to let CMHC collapse.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Jul 2017 11:23
I agree it likely just demonstrates loan losses have been less than expected. From my perspective, it is important that CMHC (and thus mortgagors) pay for the ultimate taxpayer backstop because when all hell breaks loose, the Feds and thus the taxpayer is likely NOT to let CMHC collapse.
But would it not be prudent for an insurer to hang on to their reserves during this bubble-popping period? After we are through it, then fine. But nobody thinks it has even begun!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Probably, but JT obviously wants his hands on the money to put it on the positive side of the general ledger.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
NorthernRaven
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NorthernRaven »

CMHC stress tests from last year are here. They could take some pretty nasty hits and still have double their minimum regulatory guideline capital levels. They had close to $22 billion in equity at last quarter, so this is only peeling off about 15% over the next couple of years. It doesn't do much good sitting on CMHC's books if it isn't going to be used.