Brexit: Food Supply

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Brexit: Food Supply

Post by CROCKD »

An interesting article about what the exclusion of EU citizens may mean for the UK food supply and costs.
Hint: UK workers just do not want the jobs that the EU workers are supposedly taking from them.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -labour-eu
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Brexit: Food Supply

Post by ghariton »

Thank you for the link. I really should pay the Guardian, given the number of free stories on their site that I read.

The U.K.'s labour issues remind me of the debates in Canada concerning our temporary foreign worker program.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Or what happens in the US food-picking states if they outlaw Mexicans.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

The dumb lazy locals (DLL) will be fine, as long as temporary foreign workers (TFW) make less money (than DLL) and are sent back to home country to rot and die when they can no longer work.

TFW's are all herbivore, while DLL's are mostly carnivore and omnivore. It doesn't matter how much food the herbivore produce, they are at the whim of predatory carnivore. There are always more herbivore than carnivore, to maintain a balanced ecosystem. As long as the TFW's cannot become DLL's, everything will be fine. It's all about getting a fair and bigger share of the economic output.
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones