Federal Budget 2017 - March 22

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Federal Budget 2017 - March 22

Post by SQRT »

longinvest wrote: 24 Mar 2017 09:53
kcowan wrote: 24 Mar 2017 09:32 I think the problem is that politicians want something dumb enough for them to understand.
Yes. But, it's not such a bad thing, when you think about it. If it's dumb enough for politicians, it should be dumb enough for lots of people. As long as it's good enough (like the current 50% inclusion rule), I won't complain. It's the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).
Yes, I agree. Sounds like any change to the inclusion rate is not immanent. Huge sigh of relief from this guy.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

With the Trudeau gov't though, this is not going away. Per http://business.financialpost.com/perso ... tax-or-not our CG rate only dropped to 50% in the year 2000
While the Carter commission recommended full taxation of capital gains, the law, as originally introduced, only taxed 50% of capital gains. The inclusion rate was increased to 75% in 1990 and that inclusion rate stayed constant for about a decade. In February 2000, the rate was reduced down to two thirds, which lasted until October 2000, where it was dropped back to 50%, where it has remained to this day.
and only dropped, I believe, to 50% due to the heat from the political opposition at that time. It'll be an issue again a year from now.

Edited: Deleted superfluous material and added context.
Last edited by AltaRed on 24 Mar 2017 17:51, edited 3 times in total.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

AltaRed wrote: 24 Mar 2017 10:48 With the Trudeau gov't though, this is not going away. The Libs are heavy on policy that siphons from the successful and obviously anyone that has material cap gains can't be allowed to be that good over the long term. It'll be an issue again a year from now.
I hope not, but certainly a possibility. Morneau seems to imply he is much more concerned about preventing "income sprinkling".
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I believe we need to stay vigilant on finding a better way than 66% or 75% inclusion rate. We have time thankfully. Now is not the time to relax!

These are major issues for the LIberals and it requires a major effort to counteract their natural tendency to do the easy thing and gain support of their base.
For the fun of it...Keith
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

longinvest wrote: 24 Mar 2017 09:53 Yes. But, it's not such a bad thing, when you think about it. If it's dumb enough for politicians, it should be dumb enough for lots of people. As long as it's good enough (like the current 50% inclusion rule), I won't complain. It's the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).
I thought, for politions, it meant 'Keep it Stupid, Simple'
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

kumquat wrote: 24 Mar 2017 18:47 I thought, for politions, it meant 'Keep it Stupid, Simple'
You're right. Fixed it.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)