Free eBook "The Wealthy Barber Returns"

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Free eBook "The Wealthy Barber Returns"

Post by Arby »

Tangerine is offering a free eBook of "The Wealthy Barber Returns" by David Chilton. The offer is supposed to be for Tangerine clients, but it looks like the link (here) is not restricted to clients.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Free eBook "The Wealthy Barber Returns"

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Downloaded and I'm definitely not a client. Thanks.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Downloaded a copy too. Thanks for the link.

I like the author's sense of humour. But the contents are too elementary for me (and, I suspect, for anyone hanging out on this forum).

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Quebec »

This seems like a funny book.
About the Author
DAVID CHILTON is an economics graduate from Wilfrid Laurier University. In 1985, he won the award for the highest mark in the country on the Canadian Securities Course. Cheating was never proven but widely suspected. In 1989, he released The Wealthy Barber. It went on to sell an astonishing two million copies in Canada. After milking his one and only good idea for years, Dave left the personal-finance field to home-school his children...
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki: a knowledge base of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

+3. Thanks. Think I'll email it to my nieces. I've always liked Dave Chilton. His writing is engaging even if his advice is simplistic and tends to date quickly.

Probably the only time Tangerine has been (or ever will be) useful to me... :rofl:
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

Thanks for the link. I've heard of the Wealthy Barber because it keeps getting recommended but I have never seen it. This newer book is both very basic and seriously long-winded.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Wish they'd just provide better interest rates than giving out free eBooks :lol:
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

SkaSka wrote:Wish they'd just provide better interest rates than giving out free eBooks :lol:
Who else is paying 3%?
How much better do you want? :?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rhenderson »

deaddog wrote:
SkaSka wrote:Wish they'd just provide better interest rates than giving out free eBooks :lol:
Who else is paying 3%?
Where on earth do you come up with 3% :?

Their website very clearly states 0.80 %... https://www.tangerine.ca/en/saving/savings-accounts

Perhaps you have another link with the 3% offer :?:
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

deaddog wrote:
Who else is paying 3%?
Only certain clients get the special promo til the end of December or January.

They really do like jacking around their clients on interest rates!
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

rhenderson wrote:

Where on earth do you come up with 3% :?

Their website very clearly states 0.80 %... https://www.tangerine.ca/en/saving/savings-accounts

Perhaps you have another link with the 3% offer :?:
Every 3 months I do the Tangerine 2 step which consists of phoning and threatening to move my money and get a preferred rate.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Got it. Read it. Glad I didn't pay for it.

That said, I've sent the pdf version to my kids.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
Donut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donut »

I dealt with ING for many years and was happy to do so as there were no hidden fees, no games, just exactly as advertised. Then BNS bought them and came up with the name Tangerine. Ever since, we have watched the rates drop and the silly games begin. Now they want to bribe me with a free book. Well I'm not buying. I don't play games with my savings. Just give me a good rate and good service. As far as I am concerned, Tangerine has lost it's way. Meridian Credit Union pays 1.5% on all your savings all the time and you don't have to play silly games to get it.
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Donut wrote:I dealt with ING for many years and was happy to do so as there were no hidden fees, no games, just exactly as advertised. Then BNS bought them and came up with the name Tangerine. Ever since, we have watched the rates drop and the silly games begin. Now they want to bribe me with a free book. Well I'm not buying. I don't play games with my savings. Just give me a good rate and good service. As far as I am concerned, Tangerine has lost it's way. Meridian Credit Union pays 1.5% on all your savings all the time and you don't have to play silly games to get it.
Or you can go with Oaken for a consistent 1.75% but to me it's worth it to do the Tangerine two step every 3 months to pick up an extra 1% or so.
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

The Wealthy Barber Returns, still available as a free downoad.
From RBC Wealth Management site.
ScrapPaper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ScrapPaper »

Good luck closing your account at Tangerine. If anyone has succeeded, please let us know how! I reduced my account to zero last summer, discovered you can't close your account online, refused to be stuck on hold waiting for customer service, and so mailed a polite paper letter to their Toronto head office address asking them to close my account. They have never acknowledged the letter or contacted me — and the last time I looked, my account is still open.

They're as bad as Facebook. Closing your account there takes months. But at least eventually they close it....
ScrapPaper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ScrapPaper »

The Tangerine link to the book is now severed. So maybe it was illegal. The RBC site says the ebook is exclusive to them.

I just downloaded the ebook from RBC — and discovered that the book is copyright 2011! So it's hardly a new edition of the classic version. Some fishy marketting going on here....
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

ScrapPaper wrote: 30 Jan 2022 18:14 The Tangerine link to the book is now severed. So maybe it was illegal. The RBC site says the ebook is exclusive to them.

I just downloaded the ebook from RBC — and discovered that the book is copyright 2011! So it's hardly a new edition of the classic version. Some fishy marketting going on here....
Hopefully a reader will still find some of the advice 'timeless'.
I know it seems like just yesterday, but TWBR was actually published in 2011.The original book came out in 1989.
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

ScrapPaper wrote: 30 Jan 2022 18:14 The Tangerine link to the book is now severed. So maybe it was illegal. The RBC site says the ebook is exclusive to them.
It was not illegal. It was a promotion sponsored by Tangerine. That it's now exclusive to RBC makes sense since the author has a long-standing (albeit not continuous) relationship with RBC going back to ~1997.
ScrapPaper wrote: 30 Jan 2022 18:14I just downloaded the ebook from RBC — and discovered that the book is copyright 2011! So it's hardly a new edition of the classic version. Some fishy marketting going on here....
I haven't read it since 2011 but as I recall the advice was intended to be timeless. And it stands up because the topics covered are bread and butter personal finance and investing. It's an easy read - thanks to a very accessible writing style - but it has substance throughout. Worth paying full price for, so a no-brainer as a free download.
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

Dave Chilton recently said that he is writing an updated Wealthy Barber book. Same story format but with updated characters and topics. Unsure of publication date. I'm sure we'll hear about it as it nears completion.