CPP: Liberals Reach Agreement With Provinces On Reform

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: CPP: Liberals Reach Agreement With Provinces On Reform

Post by ghariton »

patriot1 wrote:[My view is that the demand function for labour depends on the total cost to the employer, who doesn't really care what the breakdown is between nominal salary, payroll tax, or benefits. Thus a payroll tax can't make labour cost to the employer more expensive - only a change in the supply / demand functions will do this. A higher payroll tax will result in other components of the total labour cost being pared back, as Shakes has noted.
I agree that the ultimate incidence of a payroll tax will be spread across employees, customers. shareholders, and suppliers of other inputs. However, I think that employees suffer from money illusion. That is, a reduction in wages or benefits in the short or medium run will have a negative effect on morale and hence productivity. This is why, in hard economic times, employers will lay some workers off, rather than slightly lower wages/ benefits for all and keep all employed.

By contrast, a machine does not suffer from money illusion.

But you're right: increased automation is a secondary problem. A bigger problem is increased outsourcing to jurisdictions where labour is cheaper.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
neoanderson
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: CPP: Liberals Rearch Agreement With Provinces On Reform

Post by neoanderson »

[quote="iluvnascar"]This is just another unwelcome intrusion by leftist Governments under the pretense of "helping" us all retire richer. In reality, we already have that capability - with RRSP's; TFSA's; RRIF's; and so on.

Totally agree.