Jonathan Clements Rejoins Sunday Journal

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Jonathan Clements Rejoins Sunday Journal

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Back in 2008, in this topic,
WishingWealth wrote:Parting Shot: What I Learned From Writing 1,008 Columns

Jonathan Clements last column / WSJ.

A few clippings.
The short answer is, you save now so you can spend later. But what will you spend your money on? People dream of endless leisure and bountiful possessions.

Unfortunately, after a few months, endless leisure often seems like endless tedium. Similarly, you might imagine that a flashy new car or a fancy new home will be your ticket to eternal bliss. But a year after you make your purchase, the thrill will likely be gone, and you will be lusting after something else. My point: The "rich life" of popular imagination is no great shakes.
If you have money, you don't have to worry about it. This isn't guaranteed. There are lots of rich folks who agonize constantly -- and needlessly -- about their finances. Still, if you save diligently, you should reach the point where money worries are relatively rare.
WW
He's back, Jonathan Clements Rejoins Sunday Journal - WSJ.com
Jonathan Clements wrote:A lot of my columns could run six months earlier or later and be equally relevant. We manage money best when we view it as a long-term endeavor, and that's my focus.

In this column, expect to read a fair amount about perennially important topics such as how much you ought to save, how to generate retirement income and how to design a portfolio. Yes, the answers vary a little as the markets bounce up and down. But they don't change that much.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
skepticus
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Jonathan Clements Rejoins Sunday Journal

Post by skepticus »

This is good news indeed. After a brief career on Wall Street he returns to light and life. What a welcome resurrection!

For a perpetual newbie like me, Clements is not only informative, he's easy to understand (like all writers should be). I'm thankful to Bylo for pointing him out to me several years ago on his [Bylo's] website.