Clippings 2012

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Clippings 2012

Post by newguy »

Insomniac wrote:The CBC fans I know tell me that they want to keep CBC radio. I think most agree that CBC TV is not very good.
I'm pretty sure no one means shutting it down, just selling or privatizing it. I don't think you could actually sell it for much.

newguy
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

newguy wrote:
Insomniac wrote:The CBC fans I know tell me that they want to keep CBC radio. I think most agree that CBC TV is not very good.
I'm pretty sure no one means shutting it down, just selling or privatizing it. I don't think you could actually sell it for much.

newguy
I'd say just massively slash CBC's budget. I'd be OK with CBC being kind of a Canadian PBS - decent news, some quality documentaries (I generally enjoy The Passionate Eye), and low budget filler. 90% reduction in management. :)

Unlikely of course. If there exists one task where government employees exceed all others, it's job preservation.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

I too much prefer CBC Radio to CBC TV, but I don't think CBC Radio is very good -- and I used to work there! Both organizations would benefit from moving to the NPR/PBS model in which voluntary listener/viewer contributions play a major role in funding. Interestingly, NPR is the only US radio network whose audience has grown in recent years. I think PBS is also doing well, but I don't know and can't find stats.

It was noteworthy last year that Republican lawmakers failed twice in their attempts to cut off federal funding for NPR stations. Those votes were among the few in which GOP reps and senators refused to vote as one bloc.

While both Liberal and Tory govts have both cut CBC's funding, I doubt that it would ever be privatized. MPs love the exposure CBC provides them, including free commercials during election campaigns. There is a CBC Radio program called The House that's aired on Saturday mornings. It was launched when I worked there during the '70s as an effort to curry favour on Parliament Hill. MPs of all stripes love it.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Shine wrote:CBC is part of our country and I strongly disagree with your proposal to eliminate it.
Remember that I proposed this in the context of Bruce's suggestion to list programs one would cut even though one would lose a benefit from the cut. I do listen to Radio Canada on the car radio as I drive around, and would have to find a substitute. But if the money currently used to fund CBC were recycled to improve, say, educational or health programs or to upgrade infrastructure, I think that would be desirable.

I would agree to an NPR/PBS model. Many years ago I participated in PBS funding drives. The process made the station truly part of the community, rather than a top-down imposition.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

ghariton wrote: Many years ago I participated in PBS funding drives.
Brought back memories from decades ago......Goldie was a 'fixture' in Buffalo & Southern Ontario:

Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

On this coast, Canadians support the Seattle PBS station is a big way. I believe the Detroit PBS station also gets a lot of donations from Canada. So, it's possible that CBC TV could survive on donations if they had programming that Canadians want to watch - programs similar to those on PBS. Biggest problem I see with PBS is excessive number of pledge breaks; makes some programs unwatchable unless you record them.

http://kcts9.org/kcts-9-in-canada
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Insomniac wrote:On this coast, Canadians support the Seattle PBS station is a big way. I believe the Detroit PBS station also gets a lot of donations from Canada.
I believe there is strong Canadian support for all PBS and NPR stations along the border. IIRC Canadians make upwards of 50% of the donations taken in by the NPR station in Buffalo.

The Ontario govt's TVO television station does public fundraising, but I don't know if it raises a meaningful amount.

Toronto has a jazz radio station, CJRT, that is mostly listener-funded....and very good.

Direct listener support not only keeps broadcasters in touch with their target listeners/viewers, but is also very highly regarded by foundations.
squid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by squid »

Good timing for this discussion on CBC:

700 CBC employees earn over 100,000

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/31 ... 00-a-year/
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

“Their names and precise salaries are protected as per the federal Privacy Act and Access to Information Act.”

The names and exact salaries for BC public servants (earning more than $75K per annum) is published by the Vancouver Sun. Why doesn't this act protect their privacy?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/public ... arch.html#
squid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by squid »

Insomniac wrote:“Their names and precise salaries are protected as per the federal Privacy Act and Access to Information Act.”

The names and exact salaries for BC public servants (earning more than $75K per annum) is published by the Vancouver Sun. Why doesn't this act protect their privacy?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/public ... arch.html#
Good question! Just looked up my sister's salary :) Can't believe I had to listen to her pro BCTF anti-Gov diatribe over the holidays! She'll be mad I found this :twisted:
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

squid wrote:Good question! Just looked up my sister's salary :) Can't believe I had to listen to her pro BCTF anti-Gov diatribe over the holidays! She'll be mad I found this :twisted:
When I was a grad student I used to post the $100k+ list of profs in the department (name + salary) in the lunch room. :twisted:
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

NormR wrote:
squid wrote:Good question! Just looked up my sister's salary :) Can't believe I had to listen to her pro BCTF anti-Gov diatribe over the holidays! She'll be mad I found this :twisted:
When I was a grad student I used to post the $100k+ list of profs in the department (name + salary) in the lunch room. :twisted:
So you've always liked to stir the pot had a curious mind ;)
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

NormR wrote:When I was a grad student I used to post the $100k+ list of profs in the department (name + salary) in the lunch room. :twisted:
Probably a very short list, so many years ago :wink:

George
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

squid wrote: 700 CBC employees earn over 100,000
I don't believe that. The count is surely much higher. Had I stayed with CBC and received only inflation adjustments, I'd now be well over $100,000 and I was several rungs below the top-most people in the news service. My guess is that this list is confined to "permanent" employees such as those in the news service. Most/all of those in current affairs and entertainment programming are contract employees. Today, most technicians might also be contract employees.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

brucecohen wrote:I don't believe that. The count is surely much higher. Had I stayed with CBC and received only inflation adjustments, I'd now be well over $100,000 and I was several rungs below the top-most people in the news service. My guess is that this list is confined to "permanent" employees such as those in the news service. Most/all of those in current affairs and entertainment programming are contract employees. Today, most technicians might also be contract employees.
Gee, Bruce, thanks for that. I feel much better now, knowing that starvation at the CBC is less of a problem than I had imagined.

What are incomes like at private broadcasters, I wonder?

George
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

ghariton wrote: What are incomes like at private broadcasters, I wonder?
Comparable to CBC at the network and major market level, I'd guess. I'm not aware of much turnover at the major private stations and the private networks. If CBC paid substantially more, you'd see people moving there from the private system. The skill set is identical and CBC offers much more opportunity because it produces so many more programs, much wider variety in the types of programs and work available, full mobility among radio and TV and the web, mobility across Canada, and for journalists far more mobility outside Canada.

In smaller markets, CBC staff are surely paid much better than private broadcaster staff because they're covered by a national union contract.

Added: It looks like I was wrong in summarily dismissing CBC's statement that only 700 people are paid $100,000 or more. Here is the union contract. Pay rates start on page 194. Had I stayed in the job I left circa 1980 I'd still be below $100K. That said, I still suspect the real number is materially higher than 700.
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

ghariton wrote:
NormR wrote:When I was a grad student I used to post the $100k+ list of profs in the department (name + salary) in the lunch room. :twisted:
Probably a very short list, so many years ago :wink:
Shorter than today, probably 10-20% of the dept. Pensions not included. :wink:
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Facebook filing reveals company details
Facebook plans to raise $5bn in IPO, but this could rise • Company made $1bn of profit on $3.7bn of sales last year • Zuckerberg owns 28.4pc of company, but 56.9pc of votes • Founder Zuckerberg cuts compensation from $1.48m to $1 • No price for IPO but it is expected to be valued at $100bn • $5bn IPO would be the biggest for an internet company
The cut of salary is a nice touch for the latest multi-billionaire.
For the fun of it...Keith
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Only in Florida you say.

Millionaire adopts girlfriend
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Some Australians see their flag incorporating the Union Jack as a symbol of colonial oppression.

it's time for a new flag

Interesting that Canadians had this debate some decades ago and younger Canadians do not know anything other than the Maple Leaf flag.
Last edited by CROCKD on 03 Feb 2012 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

CROCKD wrote: younger Canadians do not know anything other than the Male Leaf.
Not to be confused with the fig leaf. :wink: We men have made progress and the fig leaf has had to be upgraded.

George
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

Kills intelligence as well as productivity.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... chers.html

Can we get workers compensation for this?
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Science, of course, has provable theories that can be demonstrated by a repeatable experiment.

<sarcasm>Of course, nothing like that happens there! :rofl: </sarcasm>
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones