Amanda Lang leaving [BNN] CBC

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

kcowan wrote:Gawd I might have to watch more CBC News:

http://www.mediastyle.ca/2009/07/shake-up-at-cbc-news
Don't know about Amanda, but it is hard to see O'Leary on CBC, especially considering he will be doing The Shark Tank on ABC
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Me too. :wink:
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Springbok wrote:

Don't know about Amanda, but it is hard to see O'Leary on CBC, especially considering he will be doing The Shark Tank on ABC
A Dragons' Den knockoff. I suspect he can work it all in...
For the fun of it...Keith
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

I don't know if the rumour has been confirmed but the National just said Amanda would be joining in the fall with her own show and a spot on the National.

newguy
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Peter Mansbridge said she will be hosting a business show on CBC Newsworld. Yeah! And she gets the summer off to enjoy the cold waters of Muskoka.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

O'Leary tails Lang to CBC to set her right
The duo's new half-hour show, tentatively named the Lang O'Leary Report, will air weeknights on CBC Newsworld; schedule details are still being worked out, but Mr. O'Leary tells us the show will cover business and beyond. And why is he making the move? "Amanda Lang left alone in a show with her liberal views is dangerous," he joshed. "I have been hired on behalf of all Canadians who believe in the capitalist system to keep her in check."
:roll:
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

DenisD wrote:Lang O'Leary
LOL
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

DenisD wrote:O'Leary tails Lang to CBC to set her right
The duo's new half-hour show, tentatively named the Lang O'Leary Report, will air weeknights on CBC Newsworld; schedule details are still being worked out, but Mr. O'Leary tells us the show will cover business and beyond. And why is he making the move? "Amanda Lang left alone in a show with her liberal views is dangerous," he joshed. "I have been hired on behalf of all Canadians who believe in the capitalist system to keep her in check."
:roll:
IMO they make a fantastic combination and are one of the few business shows for which I will turn on the sound. Hopefully, it follows a similar structure as Squeeze Play.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Looks like the new show, The Lang & O'Leary Exchange with Amanda Lang & Kevin O'Leary, will debut on Oct 19th, 4:30 pm Eastern time on CBC Newsworld.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

I don't think this show was on. Did anyone watch?

newguy
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

No one could have, CBC changed the date :x According to this, http://cbcmediasales.ca/?q=programs/new ... vin_oleary it will now start on Oct 26th.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

I just set my PVR to record this show tomorrow (Monday) at 4:30 on CBC News Network. It's on five days a week. I always liked their other show (the only time I ever watched BNN in fact).

The Lang & O'Leary Exchange...........

ltr.
Knowsitall
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Knowsitall »

O'LEARY is a big mouth.

Amanda got the brains.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

like_to_retire wrote:
I just set my PVR to record this show tomorrow (Monday) at 4:30 on CBC News Network. It's on five days a week. I always liked their other show (the only time I ever watched BNN in fact).

The Lang & O'Leary Exchange...........

ltr.
Watched it today and wasn't overly impressed with the production quality. The set looked put together at the last moment and the audio, particularly Kevin O'Leary, wasn't that well done. Did anyone else watch?

augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Watched it today and wasn't overly impressed with the production quality. The set looked put together at the last moment and the audio, particularly Kevin O'Leary, wasn't that well done.
How is this different from any other CBC production? :wink:

I'm with Knowsitall, I'm not an O'leary fan either.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The first episode of Lang & O'Leary Exchange is available here, http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Money/ID=1309356259

Doesn't Kevin O'Leary know that the CBC already has a buffoon in Don Cherry :wink:

kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I watched it on the CBC regular network at 12 noon PDT (on CBC Toronto). Was not impressed. It seems to be more of a news show without the punch of the BNN version.

O'Leary was asking the hard questions but both Flaherty and Gross handled them with aplomb.

There were some production glitches. Growing pains.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

OK, they have had a bit over a week to work out the production problems. I would agree that it seems more like a news show and I miss the regular guests like Michael Santoli (Barron's). I guess CBC won't allow a non-Canadian viewpoint to be aired:( Amanda Lang maintains control and keeps the show worthwhile. On the other hand, Kevin O'Leary is definitely trying to out do Don Cherry as the biggest buffoon on CBC Canadian TV. On the rare occasion where he stays on topic and under control, he does have the occasional useful insight.

My pet peeve is that when the make it available online, they don't spend the few seconds to cut the commercial segments out -- they just replace them with mindless "elevator" music and the graphic "Live stream will resume". I liked the BNN model better, play a 30 second ad before presenting the show, then give us a commercial free show. The interesting thing is that some days the online video is available without the "Live stream will resume" portion. There doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason for which day is done which way -- OK, it is the CBC.

WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

P_I:
Kevin O'Leary is definitely trying to out do Don Cherry as the biggest buffoon on CBC Canadian TV.
The first couple of times I saw him that's what I found too but then I figured even the CBC needs a blonde.

WW
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by adrian2 »

For fans of Amanda and/or Kevin, their show "Lang & O'Leary Exchange" on CBC Newsworld has been doubled in length to a full hour. Its new time slot is 7-8 p.m. EST, which makes it more accessible to people with a day job (it used to be 4:30-5 p.m.).
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

I think it will be too long. Good thing I always pre-record and speed watch.

Those two will probably get physical at some point even though some of the good cop bad cop schtick is probably scripted.
O'Leary often sounds monomaniacal and Lang can drag on the same point too often.

Still ok but let's see if the longer interviews will make it worth the extra half hour.
Hopefully the new time spot will prevent the too frequent interruptions in the program by this and that politician with an urgent announcement or ribbon cutting ceremony for the paving of a section of a street.

WW
Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Clock Watcher »

I had no idea who Amanda Lang is, but while flipping channels late last night, I came across her on CBC. Wow, beauty & brains. Especially the former. I think I will now exercise my PVR more often.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

I stopped watching due to the time slot, but especially because they dumbed it down when they left. I tuned in a couple days ago after WW posted the change and I think the CBC must be telling Kevin to be more controversial for a ratings boost. This is one viewer they probably lost, even though I agree Amanda is good at the job and not just a pretty face.

newguy
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I find it hard to believe that the CBC would have to ask Kevin. Perhaps they just stopped supressing him?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Clock Watcher wrote:I had no idea who Amanda Lang is, but while flipping channels late last night, I came across her on CBC. Wow, beauty & brains. Especially the former. I think I will now exercise my PVR more often.
You can also find the video at http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Money/La ... y_Exchange