Amanda Lang leaving [BNN] CBC

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
User avatar
CROCKD
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2809
Joined: 15 Aug 2008 16:59
Location: GTA

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by CROCKD » 08 Mar 2010 19:32

I may have to stop watching 'the Exchange'. Kevin O'Leary is such an opinionated idealogical A H , he really pisses me off big time. On the other hand Amanda Lang always seems ready to look for the middle level ground so at least she gives you something to think about.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover

bones1
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 317
Joined: 23 Apr 2009 19:17

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by bones1 » 11 Apr 2010 12:25

CROCKD wrote:I may have to stop watching 'the Exchange'. Kevin O'Leary is such an opinionated idealogical A H , he really pisses me off big time. On the other hand Amanda Lang always seems ready to look for the middle level ground so at least she gives you something to think about.
I agree. He's been deliberately acting up lately, and it's getting lame. I have no problem with his ideology, but he at least has to be consistent. Some of his rants lately make absolutely no sense... he's just doing it to play a role.

Amanda has been making him look stupid, lately. But, she's so freakin' hot she could make any guy look stupid.

Clock Watcher
Silver Ring
Silver Ring
Posts: 723
Joined: 15 Jan 2007 02:34

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Clock Watcher » 13 Apr 2010 20:26

CROCKD wrote:Amanda has been making him look stupid, lately. But, she's so freakin' hot she could make any guy look stupid.
Yes she could, and she does!

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 7322
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 14:52
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 13 Apr 2010 20:36

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 14 Apr 2010 08:49

Peculiar_Investor wrote:And she has a twin sister, see http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... le1159021/
Amanda Lang wrote:"I don't like to diet. I like to eat what I want, when I want it. I don't want to have this conversation with my doctor, but I love red meat. I eat it seven days a week. I like carbs, fresh baked bread."
No wonder she is a perfect foil for Kevin O"Leary!
Image
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 7322
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 14:52
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Kevin O'Leary leaving Lang & O'Leary Exchange

Post by Peculiar_Investor » 12 Aug 2014 09:13

This just in -- Kevin O'Leary leaves CBC's The Lang & O'Leary Exchange - CBC News
Kevin O'Leary, a CBC commentator and co-host of the business program The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, is leaving the public broadcaster "to pursue new opportunities," CBC says.

...

The statement also said Lang will helm a new business program beginning this fall.
Probably too busy in the Shark Tank.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 12 Aug 2014 10:19

From the article:
In a separate statement on Tuesday, Bell Media announced that O'Leary would be joining the media conglomerate as an on-air contributor, to appear on a variety of television and radio programs.
Sounds like a move back to CTV. Although I enjoyed his outspoken style, I found his contributions to LOLX to be predictable and repetitive. And Amanda often caught him up in inconsistencies in his positions. And talking "his book".
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
adrian2
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 11673
Joined: 19 Feb 2005 08:42
Location: Greater Toronto Area

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by adrian2 » 12 Aug 2014 10:23

Amanda's show is the only time when anyone in my household tunes to CBC (except for some sport broadcasts).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]

Chuck
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1324
Joined: 21 Feb 2005 11:48
Location: Manitoba

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Chuck » 12 Aug 2014 17:01

I'll admit, as infotainment, Lang and O'Leary works best when both are present (it seems half the time I tune in, one or both are not there). Without O'Leary's extremist positions it won't be as much fun. The investing information is mostly just fluff anyhow.

like_to_retire
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 4664
Joined: 27 Feb 2005 07:14
Location: Canada

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by like_to_retire » 12 Aug 2014 17:18

Chuck wrote:I'll admit, as infotainment, Lang and O'Leary works best when both are present (it seems half the time I tune in, one or both are not there). Without O'Leary's extremist positions it won't be as much fun. The investing information is mostly just fluff anyhow.
Yeah, good points Chuck. I enjoyed the show when they were both present. There was a respectful, tongue in cheek, humorous combatant camaraderie that will be hard to reproduce.

My observation is that the show was particularly horrible when Kevin was paired with any other substitute (they were simply no match for his irreverent nonsense), but on the days when Amanda had a substitute partner, I found it a lot more informative, and a lot less "Amanda/Kevin shtick".

Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.

ltr

User avatar
AltaRed
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 18830
Joined: 05 Mar 2005 20:04
Location: Ogopogo Land

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by AltaRed » 12 Aug 2014 17:27

like_to_retire wrote:Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.
As long as they give her sufficient air time to go over a subject (whatever it might be). CBC didn't do that and there was not much substance in the issues she was trying to address (remember the 'where is the gold?' program - very poorly done).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 13 Aug 2014 11:28

AltaRed wrote:
like_to_retire wrote:Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.
As long as they give her sufficient air time to go over a subject (whatever it might be). CBC didn't do that and there was not much substance in the issues she was trying to address (remember the 'where is the gold?' program - very poorly done).
I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One would work in conjunction with the weekday show (for more information on this topic, please watch Amanda Goes Deep at a set time like maybe the same time slot on Saturday)?

I also agree that more conflict and humour would help the daily show, but just not the clown-like atmosphere that O'Leary had devolved into.
For the fun of it...Keith

mudLark
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1038
Joined: 27 Jun 2006 18:47

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by mudLark » 13 Aug 2014 12:43

kcowan wrote:I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One ...
Yawn...

IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her strident liberal sniping (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.

Her show is now mostly about the sugar coating not the pill; it seems to focus more on the softer aspects of commerce than on hard "business", especially when O'Leary is not there. The only time Lang seems to get excited is when discussing the role of women in the workplace or interviewing that Celery character (now there's substance). It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. She should either go back to BNN or, if she stays with the CBC, get out of the business of Business TV.

What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 13 Aug 2014 16:56

mudLark wrote:It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. ..
I agree. We can always hope.
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
Flaccidsteele
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2374
Joined: 06 Mar 2014 12:52
Location: Retired Gen Xer somewhere on the planet earth

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Flaccidsteele » 13 Aug 2014 23:33

I didn't mind O'Leary. He pulled in the ratings that the CBC wanted. They just can't afford him.

For better or worse, Lang can't pull the same viewership without O'Leary.
mudLark wrote:What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.
No offense, but there would be absolutely no $ in that. That would be committing financial suicide.
Retired @ 40 after reading Munger/Buffett. I avoided a fragile retirement by avoiding conventional volatility management (diversification, re-balancing and asset-allocation). "Put 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund...the long-term results will be superior" - Warren Buffett

mudLark
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1038
Joined: 27 Jun 2006 18:47

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by mudLark » 14 Aug 2014 11:30

Flaccidsteele wrote:...there would be absolutely no $ in that. That would be committing financial suicide.
Like public broadcasters elsewhere (PBS, BBC, ABC et al) the primary motivation for the CBC should not be profit, it should be to inform and educate Canadians in matters of concern to them.

In general it appears that many Canadians are over-indebted, will have inadequate post-retirement income, and are not too well informed when it comes to the management of their personal financial affairs. This being the case then it is a serious national problem to which the CBC should be part of the solution; that's why it is partially tax-payer supported.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 24699
Joined: 16 Feb 2005 10:36
Location: Waterloo, ON
Contact:

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Bylo Selhi » 14 Aug 2014 14:08

mudLark wrote:IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.
And yet O'Dreary's strident conservative sniping didn;'t "become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative."
obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience
And yet obviously O'Dreary never did and managed to stay just as long.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.

mudLark
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1038
Joined: 27 Jun 2006 18:47

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by mudLark » 14 Aug 2014 15:47

Bylo Selhi wrote:
mudLark wrote:IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.
And yet O'Dreary's strident conservative sniping didn;'t "become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative."
obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience
And yet obviously O'Dreary never did and managed to stay just as long.
Do you have a point?

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 14 Aug 2014 20:02

mudLark wrote:Do you have a point?
I am sure he did but in his absence I would guess it was that they both lasted until now with one bowing/scraping and the other thumbing his nose. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

(I am personally glad he is gone. I think of him as the Don Cherry of business reporting. And not in a good way!)
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 20865
Joined: 15 Feb 2005 23:25
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Contact:

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Shakespeare » 14 Aug 2014 20:16

Is there any good way to think of Don Cherry?
“A wise man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at any time.” -- R.A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer.

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 15 Aug 2014 09:57

I understand he is a former great coach of the Boston Bruins. Maybe working in Boston is the common thread with O'Leary.
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
FinEcon
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1209
Joined: 03 Aug 2005 13:41

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by FinEcon » 15 Aug 2014 10:14

mudLark wrote:
kcowan wrote:I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One ...
Yawn...

IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her strident liberal sniping (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.

Her show is now mostly about the sugar coating not the pill; it seems to focus more on the softer aspects of commerce than on hard "business", especially when O'Leary is not there. The only time Lang seems to get excited is when discussing the role of women in the workplace or interviewing that Celery character (now there's substance). It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. She should either go back to BNN or, if she stays with the CBC, get out of the business of Business TV.

What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.
Spot on. The CBC is a Mickey Mouse outfit and thier business show is a waste of time, save for when they have someone like David Kaufman on as a co-host. I don't know and don't care what they have on anymore because I tuned out long ago.

Fortunately, for people who value business media, there is BNN and the BNN.ca online segnments are broken up in chunks so I can get the few commentors worth listening to quickly, easily and with minimal fluff.

Now, if aperson acyaully wants to learn something about investing they can watch WealTrack with Conselo Mack. There are tons of old WealthTrack episodes on Youtube and unliek Canada.
What the human being is best at doing is interpreting all new information so that their prior conclusions remain intact

-- Warren Buffett

Chuck
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 1324
Joined: 21 Feb 2005 11:48
Location: Manitoba

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Chuck » 15 Aug 2014 16:15

kcowan wrote: (I am personally glad he is gone. I think of him as the Don Cherry of business reporting. And not in a good way!)
I'll admit, one of the things I liked about O'Leary and Cherry, is that I knew they tweaked the noses of the left wing liberal demographic (the sweet spot for CBC viewers). I'll miss that aspect of them.

User avatar
kcowan
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring
Posts: 13191
Joined: 18 Apr 2006 20:33
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by kcowan » 15 Aug 2014 18:43

I must admit that I like O'Leary's irreverent attitude. And his anecdotes about his latest smartphone and his kids habits with technology. But that was not why I watched LOLX. And a few of those anecdotes go a long way.
For the fun of it...Keith

User avatar
Flaccidsteele
Gold Ring
Gold Ring
Posts: 2374
Joined: 06 Mar 2014 12:52
Location: Retired Gen Xer somewhere on the planet earth

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by Flaccidsteele » 16 Aug 2014 01:24

mudLark wrote:Like public broadcasters elsewhere (PBS, BBC, ABC et al) the primary motivation for the CBC should not be profit, it should be to inform and educate Canadians in matters of concern to them.

In general it appears that many Canadians are over-indebted, will have inadequate post-retirement income, and are not too well informed when it comes to the management of their personal financial affairs. This being the case then it is a serious national problem to which the CBC should be part of the solution; that's why it is partially tax-payer supported.
It's a nice idea that such a tax-payer supported show would cure Canadians of being over-indebted, have inadequate retirements, and be more financially informed.

It's also a nice idea that anybody would even watch it.
Retired @ 40 after reading Munger/Buffett. I avoided a fragile retirement by avoiding conventional volatility management (diversification, re-balancing and asset-allocation). "Put 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund...the long-term results will be superior" - Warren Buffett

Post Reply