Amanda Lang leaving [BNN] CBC

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Amanda Lang leaving [BNN] CBC

Post by biker »

She announced today that she is leaving BNN as of today.Any idea where she might go. I think she is one of the best Business commentators and interviewers in NA including all the yellers on CNBC.
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

I saw that also, I went to the BNN website and did not find any mention of her leaving

Anyone else know??
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Say it isn't so! :(

Actually here's something that I've mulled over before. I think she would be great in politics. She seems to have a lot of common sense and if she can handle Kevin O'Leary, she can handle herself in the political arena. (I'm sure she could do better than Belinda.) If our boy Stevie ever steps down, I'd like to see her take a shot at the leadership of the Conservatives. (She may even convert Bylo.) Prime Minister Lang. What do you'all think?
Last edited by Spidey on 17 Jul 2009 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

In one memorable episode, circa 2003, I watched her conflate private equity and hedge funds. Needless to say, I have no time for reporters who coast on their celebrity status, rather than their research or knowledge.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The announcement is available at http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip194824, at about the 8:10 mark.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Spidey wrote: Actually here's something that I've mulled over before. I think she would be great in politics. She seems to have a lot of common sense and if she can handle Kevin O'Leary, she can handle herself in the political arena. (I'm sure she could do better than Belinda.) If our boy Stevie ever steps down, I'd like to see her take a shot at the leadership of the Conservatives. (She may even convert Bylo.) Prime Minister Lang. What do you'all think?
Well, you might want to ask her father......Otto Lang, the longtime Liberal MP and cabinet minister. Or her brother, Andy, who ran as a Liberal in Toronto's Danforth riding in the last election but lost.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Well, you've really rained on my parade Bruce. That's like a Catholic hearing that the pope has always been a closet Buddhist. However, if she takes over from Iggy, she might convert me.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

Thanks PC...I think.

CLicked onto the link, sat through the U2 promo, watched part of a session with two guys.

Could you just post where she is going, in real words, if you know.

Or anyone else.

Thankyou
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

She specifically stated that she wasn't going to say where she was going, but that she would be continuing to work. She is married to Vince Borg, Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications at Barrick Gold. I wonder if he is moving on to something else, perhaps in New York? My guess is she'll resurface in the September timeframe.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

Thank you.

May I vent...and this is not directed at anyone in particular. It is a case study in support of my consistent moaning against cut and paste and liking.

The Story.
Amanda Lang, a prominent reporter on a program that we all watch, as we are investment folks, reports that she is leaving. FWF posters post for any information. An (intentionally) helpfull poster posts a link with a tip to go to the 8.10 mark. I go to the link, have to sit through a U2 promo, the show starts, two guys blathering on, I fast forward to the suggested 8.10 mark, listen to some reporter talking about street food. No information on the story at hand, Amanda Lang leaving BNN. Tally 15 minutes wasted.

Then, I post a request for GAWD FORBID>>>and acutual REAL WORDS information, and find out, that she is leaving, is continuing to work, and does not disclose where she is going.

Heres the thing........WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE POSTER NOT SIMPLY STATE THAT, THE PERTINENT INFORMATION, and post the link as a back up.

Suggestion....before your post a link, in an attempt to be helpfull, for chrissake test the link..or don't bother posting.

My rant. And karma be dammned...I am right!!
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:She specifically stated that she wasn't going to say where she was going, but that she would be continuing to work. She is married to Vince Borg, Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications at Barrick Gold. I wonder if he is moving on to something else, perhaps in New York? My guess is she'll resurface in the September timeframe.
Vince Borg worked in David Peterson's office in the 1980's and was a key guy in the first McGuinty campaign.Also he backed Tom Long's ( one author of the common sense revolution) campaign for leader of the Reform Party.Quite a switch hitter once he went corporate.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Peculiar_Investor wrote:The announcement is available at http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip194824, at about the 8:10 mark.
beenaround wrote:Thank you.

May I vent...and this is not directed at anyone in particular. It is a case study in support of my consistent moaning against cut and paste and liking.

The Story.
Amanda Lang, a prominent reporter on a program that we all watch, as we are investment folks, reports that she is leaving. FWF posters post for any information. An (intentionally) helpfull poster posts a link with a tip to go to the 8.10 mark. I go to the link, have to sit through a U2 promo, the show starts, two guys blathering on, I fast forward to the suggested 8.10 mark, listen to some reporter talking about street food. No information on the story at hand, Amanda Lang leaving BNN. Tally 15 minutes wasted.

Then, I post a request for GAWD FORBID>>>and acutual REAL WORDS information, and find out, that she is leaving, is continuing to work, and does not disclose where she is going.

Heres the thing........WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE POSTER NOT SIMPLY STATE THAT, THE PERTINENT INFORMATION, and post the link as a back up.

Suggestion....before your post a link, in an attempt to be helpfull, for chrissake test the link..or don't bother posting.

My rant. And karma be dammned...I am right!!
I can take the heat about testing the link. I did preview my post and test the link, but it appears that the gremlins at BNN are at work. Now the URL is http://watch.bnn.ca/squeezeplay/july-20 ... clip194824 I've tested the link again and hopefully it will work this time. I've given myself and BNN a virtual negative karma :wink:

beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

Thank you, and kudos for being gracious in view of my rant.

I simply wanted to make the point that usually, the most clear and efficient process to pass on information is to just damn say it!! 10 seconds

"Amanda is leaving BNN, says that she will continue to work and did not disclose where she was going to"

Simple...10 seconds...rather than the 15 minutes I wasted wading throught the goose chase with the fuc**g linking.
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Aw Geez, do I actually have to CLICK these %$@! links in order to find out what's going on? Why can't someone just phone me and let me know the pertinent information??

What's the MATTER with you people?! :roll:
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Nemo2 wrote
Aw Geez, do I actually have to CLICK these %$@! links in order to find out what's going on? Why can't someone just phone me and let me know the pertinent information??

What's the MATTER with you people?!
Alas Nemo2, just as there are many "Old farts" who, at dinner parties, repeat themselves ad nauseam, there are posters who post the same old repetitive rants, over and over. :(

FWIF I never thought much of Amanda. A pretty face to be sure, but smart? :shock:
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

tedster wrote:FWIF I never thought much of Amanda. A pretty face to be sure, but smart? :shock:
Definitely smart, IMHO. Her Squeeze Play was the most enjoyable show to watch on BNN.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

adrian2 wrote:
tedster wrote:FWIF I never thought much of Amanda. A pretty face to be sure, but smart? :shock:
Definitely smart, IMHO. Her Squeeze Play was the most enjoyable show to watch on BNN.
Her father was a Rhodes Scholar so one might assume she has some "bright" genes.

beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

She is very smart....

Typical that some males of a certain age are not able to see past a womans looks...if she is pretty she must be dumb. Thank goodness there has been some eveolution from the dinosaur.
iluvnascar
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by iluvnascar »

I'm gonna miss her. She's very knowledgeable and actually has a sense of humour. Kevin O'Leary will be like Rowan without Martin.

The one that I wouldn't miss is Linda Sims. She seems to lack knowledge and appears totally reliant on her assistants and the teleprompter.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Amanda supported the tax on Income Trusts and "Tax Leakage". Despite her good looks, that makes her dumb in my book. There was never any proof of tax leakage.
beenaround
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beenaround »

No surprise...sigh..
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

During her last show at BNN, she got personal messages regarding her leaving the network from, inter alia, Paul Martin and Jim Flaherty. I don't remember any other TV personality getting such messages.

One other message from Rick Santoli of Barron's compared the weekly interviews with her on BNN with financial shows on US network: 5 minutes of intelligent discussions vs. 90 seconds of screaming.

Lots of other memorabilia on her last Squeeze Play.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

I personally knew Otto Lang. He was a Liberal but in many respects a tough law and order guy and certainly on the right of the party on fiscal and economic issues. I think she would make a great political leader whether it was grit or tory. Another treaure from the province of Saskatchewan. I think Howard Green is a an outstanding member of the BNN team as well. I used to beat up CNBC after watching the early show with Joe Kernan and the the other three I have changed my mind. They can be ruthless with guests who try blowing smoke. They are very well educated. Prior to changing careers Kernan was a cancer researcher.You have to agree that Becky is pretty nice dish.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

also "No surprise...sigh.." :lol:
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Gawd I might have to watch more CBC News:

http://www.mediastyle.ca/2009/07/shake-up-at-cbc-news
For the fun of it...Keith