Amanda Lang leaving [BNN] CBC

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Amanda Lang leaving BNN

Post by CROCKD »

I may have to stop watching 'the Exchange'. Kevin O'Leary is such an opinionated idealogical A H , he really pisses me off big time. On the other hand Amanda Lang always seems ready to look for the middle level ground so at least she gives you something to think about.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
bones1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bones1 »

CROCKD wrote:I may have to stop watching 'the Exchange'. Kevin O'Leary is such an opinionated idealogical A H , he really pisses me off big time. On the other hand Amanda Lang always seems ready to look for the middle level ground so at least she gives you something to think about.
I agree. He's been deliberately acting up lately, and it's getting lame. I have no problem with his ideology, but he at least has to be consistent. Some of his rants lately make absolutely no sense... he's just doing it to play a role.

Amanda has been making him look stupid, lately. But, she's so freakin' hot she could make any guy look stupid.
Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Clock Watcher »

CROCKD wrote:Amanda has been making him look stupid, lately. But, she's so freakin' hot she could make any guy look stupid.
Yes she could, and she does!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:And she has a twin sister, see http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... le1159021/
Amanda Lang wrote:"I don't like to diet. I like to eat what I want, when I want it. I don't want to have this conversation with my doctor, but I love red meat. I eat it seven days a week. I like carbs, fresh baked bread."
No wonder she is a perfect foil for Kevin O"Leary!
For the fun of it...Keith
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kevin O'Leary leaving Lang & O'Leary Exchange

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

This just in -- Kevin O'Leary leaves CBC's The Lang & O'Leary Exchange - CBC News
Kevin O'Leary, a CBC commentator and co-host of the business program The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, is leaving the public broadcaster "to pursue new opportunities," CBC says.

The statement also said Lang will helm a new business program beginning this fall.
Probably too busy in the Shark Tank.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

From the article:
In a separate statement on Tuesday, Bell Media announced that O'Leary would be joining the media conglomerate as an on-air contributor, to appear on a variety of television and radio programs.
Sounds like a move back to CTV. Although I enjoyed his outspoken style, I found his contributions to LOLX to be predictable and repetitive. And Amanda often caught him up in inconsistencies in his positions. And talking "his book".
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Amanda's show is the only time when anyone in my household tunes to CBC (except for some sport broadcasts).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

I'll admit, as infotainment, Lang and O'Leary works best when both are present (it seems half the time I tune in, one or both are not there). Without O'Leary's extremist positions it won't be as much fun. The investing information is mostly just fluff anyhow.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Chuck wrote:I'll admit, as infotainment, Lang and O'Leary works best when both are present (it seems half the time I tune in, one or both are not there). Without O'Leary's extremist positions it won't be as much fun. The investing information is mostly just fluff anyhow.
Yeah, good points Chuck. I enjoyed the show when they were both present. There was a respectful, tongue in cheek, humorous combatant camaraderie that will be hard to reproduce.

My observation is that the show was particularly horrible when Kevin was paired with any other substitute (they were simply no match for his irreverent nonsense), but on the days when Amanda had a substitute partner, I found it a lot more informative, and a lot less "Amanda/Kevin shtick".

Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.

ltr
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

like_to_retire wrote:Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.
As long as they give her sufficient air time to go over a subject (whatever it might be). CBC didn't do that and there was not much substance in the issues she was trying to address (remember the 'where is the gold?' program - very poorly done).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

AltaRed wrote:
like_to_retire wrote:Amanda is a sharp cookie, and she thinks on her feet. I believe that with the right format, she could pull off a new show that I would enjoy.
As long as they give her sufficient air time to go over a subject (whatever it might be). CBC didn't do that and there was not much substance in the issues she was trying to address (remember the 'where is the gold?' program - very poorly done).
I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One would work in conjunction with the weekday show (for more information on this topic, please watch Amanda Goes Deep at a set time like maybe the same time slot on Saturday)?

I also agree that more conflict and humour would help the daily show, but just not the clown-like atmosphere that O'Leary had devolved into.
mudLark
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by mudLark »

kcowan wrote:I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One ...
Yawn...

IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her strident liberal sniping (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.

Her show is now mostly about the sugar coating not the pill; it seems to focus more on the softer aspects of commerce than on hard "business", especially when O'Leary is not there. The only time Lang seems to get excited is when discussing the role of women in the workplace or interviewing that Celery character (now there's substance). It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. She should either go back to BNN or, if she stays with the CBC, get out of the business of Business TV.

What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

mudLark wrote:It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. ..
I agree. We can always hope.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

I didn't mind O'Leary. He pulled in the ratings that the CBC wanted. They just can't afford him.

For better or worse, Lang can't pull the same viewership without O'Leary.
mudLark wrote:What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.
No offense, but there would be absolutely no $ in that. That would be committing financial suicide.
mudLark
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by mudLark »

Flaccidsteele wrote:...there would be absolutely no $ in that. That would be committing financial suicide.
Like public broadcasters elsewhere (PBS, BBC, ABC et al) the primary motivation for the CBC should not be profit, it should be to inform and educate Canadians in matters of concern to them.

In general it appears that many Canadians are over-indebted, will have inadequate post-retirement income, and are not too well informed when it comes to the management of their personal financial affairs. This being the case then it is a serious national problem to which the CBC should be part of the solution; that's why it is partially tax-payer supported.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

mudLark wrote:IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.
And yet O'Dreary's strident conservative sniping didn;'t "become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative."
obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience
And yet obviously O'Dreary never did and managed to stay just as long.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
mudLark
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by mudLark »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
mudLark wrote:IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.
And yet O'Dreary's strident conservative sniping didn;'t "become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative."
obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience
And yet obviously O'Dreary never did and managed to stay just as long.
Do you have a point?
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

mudLark wrote:Do you have a point?
I am sure he did but in his absence I would guess it was that they both lasted until now with one bowing/scraping and the other thumbing his nose. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

(I am personally glad he is gone. I think of him as the Don Cherry of business reporting. And not in a good way!)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Is there any good way to think of Don Cherry?
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I understand he is a former great coach of the Boston Bruins. Maybe working in Boston is the common thread with O'Leary.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

mudLark wrote:
kcowan wrote:I think something along the lines of Manbridge One-on-One ...
Yawn...

IMO since joining the CBC (and whenever O'Leary is not on the show) Lang has become boring. Even when he is on the show her strident liberal sniping (the default Lang response to anything O'Leary says and which he normally tries, mostly unsuccessfully, to deflect with a cheesy grin) has become far too predictable to be either entertaining or informative.

Her show is now mostly about the sugar coating not the pill; it seems to focus more on the softer aspects of commerce than on hard "business", especially when O'Leary is not there. The only time Lang seems to get excited is when discussing the role of women in the workplace or interviewing that Celery character (now there's substance). It's a waste because she is very savvy and is capable of so much more, but obviously she has to kau-tau to the wishes of her CBC commissars and their perceived demands of her audience. She should either go back to BNN or, if she stays with the CBC, get out of the business of Business TV.

What the CBC should be providing nationwide is a simple format money/investment show (a la MoneySense Magazine) to inform Canadians of all ages how to best manage their financial affairs.
Spot on. The CBC is a Mickey Mouse outfit and thier business show is a waste of time, save for when they have someone like David Kaufman on as a co-host. I don't know and don't care what they have on anymore because I tuned out long ago.

Fortunately, for people who value business media, there is BNN and the BNN.ca online segnments are broken up in chunks so I can get the few commentors worth listening to quickly, easily and with minimal fluff.

Now, if aperson acyaully wants to learn something about investing they can watch WealTrack with Conselo Mack. There are tons of old WealthTrack episodes on Youtube and unliek Canada.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

kcowan wrote: (I am personally glad he is gone. I think of him as the Don Cherry of business reporting. And not in a good way!)
I'll admit, one of the things I liked about O'Leary and Cherry, is that I knew they tweaked the noses of the left wing liberal demographic (the sweet spot for CBC viewers). I'll miss that aspect of them.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I must admit that I like O'Leary's irreverent attitude. And his anecdotes about his latest smartphone and his kids habits with technology. But that was not why I watched LOLX. And a few of those anecdotes go a long way.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

mudLark wrote:Like public broadcasters elsewhere (PBS, BBC, ABC et al) the primary motivation for the CBC should not be profit, it should be to inform and educate Canadians in matters of concern to them.

In general it appears that many Canadians are over-indebted, will have inadequate post-retirement income, and are not too well informed when it comes to the management of their personal financial affairs. This being the case then it is a serious national problem to which the CBC should be part of the solution; that's why it is partially tax-payer supported.
It's a nice idea that such a tax-payer supported show would cure Canadians of being over-indebted, have inadequate retirements, and be more financially informed.

It's also a nice idea that anybody would even watch it.