National Post

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Still worth a try. Worst case you don't get the paper and someone phones you.

Or you could try this link. (Probably a good idea to use a disposable or spam collecting e-mail address.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

randomwalker wrote:I don't know how this rag actually stays afloat given its dearth of advertising. I can only hope for its eventual death followed by the reserection of the Financial Post.
If I remember correctly the Financial Post didn't publish a Monday edition either. IMHO most of the people buying the Post did so solely for its business section which has been slowly gutted over time. Maybe I'm old-fashioned and I do love newspapers but I really think there is a niche market for a daily financial paper.
Dark Bear
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dark Bear »

I also liked the Financial post before it became the National Post, which I also get delivered 6 days a week..

For me personally I would much rather read a news paper then read it on the internet. The thing that would really hurt me is if I coudn't read the news paper during my lunch break at Tim Hortons. For some reason reading the news paper at the coffee shop or over lunch is must.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

I'd like to ask a favour.

Would someone who has a paper copy of the NP today post the values of the SCM(PCBond/DEX) Universe/Short/Mid/Long indices? The FP website hasn't updated.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
theoldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by theoldtimer »

Universe 733.83
Short 575.78
Mid 764.36
Long 970.79

as of 4pm close
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Merci beaucoup.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Sinners alive! Izzy must be rolling over ... somewhere:
CBC and National Post announce content sharing agreement
CBC.ca will run daily financial stories and podcasts from the Financial Post in CBC's online Money section, and The National Post will run daily sports stories in the sports section of nationalpost.com and periodically in the sports section of the newspaper. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Corky's head just exploded.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by parvus »

From BCE-CTVglobemedia:
Potential buyers of CanWest's specialty television stakes would include all of the company's domestic rivals, a list that includes Astral Media Inc., Corus Entertainment Inc., Rogers Communications Inc. and CTVglobemedia. For regulatory or financial reasons, most of these rivals would not bid on Global television.

Bidders for the newspapers – 11 dailies located across the country – are expected to include a management group, with potential interest in specific newspapers from regional publishers. For example, Torstar Corp. would likely look at CanWest L.P.'s two Ontario papers, the Ottawa Citizen and Windsor Star, as they compliment its existing stable of papers in southern Ontario. Debt-heavy Torstar is seen as unlikely to bid for the entire CanWest L.P chain.
Shame about the typo, but I suppose print still enjoys some caché among the illiterati.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

parvus wrote:Shame about the typo
I complement you on your proofreading skills ;)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by parvus »

You're only adding to your cachet. :wink:
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

Misspellers of the world untie!
ukridge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ukridge »

randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Jan 20, 2008
randomwalker wrote:I don't know how this rag actually stays afloat given its dearth of advertising. I can only hope for its eventual death followed by the reserection of the Financial Post.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

randomwalker wrote:Jan 20, 2008
Ironically, after years of losses the daily Financial Post turned profitable just before it was rolled into the National Post. I doubt the old FP could be relaunched as nearly all of the people responsible for its success have left over the years.
Contrarian
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Contrarian »

All those jon chevreau articles on index investing were the nails in the coffin. People need hope, not the truth.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Contrarian wrote:All those jon chevreau articles on index investing were the nails in the coffin. People need hope, not the truth.
:lol: :lol:

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
DanH
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DanH »

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
loveopra
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by loveopra »

I can't understand how the Post has survived till now. Are taxpayers subsidizing it like other old economy industries with unions expecting rich pensions. The government conveniently advertises when it wants to give them a boost. Who reads the paper anymore lol
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

loveopra wrote:Who reads the paper anymore lol
I do.

Admittedly it's much inferior to the original version. But still, it has stuff that the Globe and Mail and the Red Star don't. (A better financial section, for one.)

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

I read it as well. Us retired folks read one paper in the morning (Globe) over breakfast, one over lunch (Post), and one (local rag) in the evening.

I would read it for the Financial Post alone, not that it is necessarily superior content, but to get some diversity. I enjoy some of the weekend content as well. I don't worry about political slant in newspapers...
ukridge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ukridge »

Ditto. I read the National post, and actually look forward to it.

I find the business section of the Star insulting. (Why am I paying to read the views of someone who seems to know less than I do, and can't write as well?. Most of the Some Star columnists write like they're targeting the emerging newspaper market for ESL. Globe is much better as a newspaper than the Star, but still not as readable as the post.

Yes, some of their writers get hysteric when anyone mentions climate change; their real estate sections is not etirely useful to me - their view of affordable housing starts at a million or two. But the rest of the paper is very readable.

- ukridge.