National Post

Recommended reading, economic debates, predictions and opinions.
loveopra
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by loveopra »

All the newspapers and other media have the odd bit of useful information but 90% of it is not worth reading or infotainment.

I challenge anyone to produce one money making opportunity from the media.

I find I'm reading the business news less online as well. I'm fed up with all the conflicts.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: National Post

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Over the past couple of days I've noticed that the first time I loaded the Financial Post website, it would hang my browser for 10-20 seconds (Chrome). I noticed that it was requesting something from iperceptions dot com. That rang a bell and I checked my settings in Adblock Plus in Firefox. I'd set an filter to exclude this site as it is very slow to load. Made the same change in Adblock for Chrome and voila, the Financial Post website no longer hangs. YMMV, but for those seeing the same thing, I hope I've offered you a solution.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

<rant=on>
Just when you forget why ad blockers are so useful, the Financial Post does something to make you remember why. I've used AdBlock Plus for years so that I don't see the annoying ads and more importantly, so sites load quickly.

Today I opened the Financial Post site and it took forever to load, because they've decided to attempt to workaround ad blockers and still serve ads, very, very slowly.

There are a number of high profile sites that notice that I'm running an ad blocker and ask me nicely to consider turning it off. For example, Bloomberg.com periodically delays access for 5 seconds. From my perspective, that's somewhat okay and a trade-off between their business model and my readership.

The National Post site with their slow ad serving is absolutely the reason that ad blockers were created. I'm voting with my feet and won't be visiting their site until the get rid of the slow boat to China that serves ads. After all, a significant portion of the financial news is repackaged from elsewhere such as Bloomberg.
</rant=off>
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

I'm doing the same thing. Some of the sites put a splash page up and won't let you access content until you white list their site.
Nope. See ya.

I know some sites you can work around it by going to developer tools and changing something in the HTML but why bother. There are so many other sites for any kind of info.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

NP loads fast for me. But I use NoScript with FF.

Warning: don't use NoScript when attempting to buy something as the new page may be blocked. Switch to a different browser.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Peculiar_Investor wrote:<rant=on>
Just when you forget why ad blockers are so useful, the Financial Post does something to make you remember why. I've used AdBlock Plus for years so that I don't see the annoying ads and more importantly, so sites load quickly.

Today I opened the Financial Post site and it took forever to load, because they've decided to attempt to workaround ad blockers and still serve ads, very, very slowly.

There are a number of high profile sites that notice that I'm running an ad blocker and ask me nicely to consider turning it off. For example, Bloomberg.com periodically delays access for 5 seconds. From my perspective, that's somewhat okay and a trade-off between their business model and my readership.

The National Post site with their slow ad serving is absolutely the reason that ad blockers were created. I'm voting with my feet and won't be visiting their site until the get rid of the slow boat to China that serves ads. After all, a significant portion of the financial news is repackaged from elsewhere such as Bloomberg.
</rant=off>
So I was wondering if FP had gotten their act together and a) fixed their ad blocker work-around or b) at least improve the page loading speed. Nope to both. What was very interesting was the top banner ad that I got served. I'm in Calgary, AB, Canada and the banner ad I'm seeing is:
National Post - ads.PNG
I don't recall seeing any branches of First Tennessee in Calgary. :lol: and the fact they are a Member FDIC is really helpful to Canadians I'm sure.

In a nutshell, that's why ads on websites are generally useless.

Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

I have AdBlock Plus and use Firefox 47.0. I don't see any ads on National Post or Financial Post. I don't experience any remarkable lag.
Does your particular issue happen on other computers / for other users? It may be specific to your environment (browser, settings..).
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Descartes wrote:I have AdBlock Plus and use Firefox 47.0.
Interesting. I just checked using Firefox 50.0.2 with Adblock Plus and none of the new ads. I've started Adblock Plus issues and ad leakage to continue the discussion as this seems more like an Adblock Plus issue.

BTW, Is there any reason you are not up-to-date with Firefox? Current version is 50.0.2 and according to Security Advisories for Firefox — Mozilla your version has some critical vulnerabilities.

Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

PI: read this blog and the comments.
https://adblockplus.org/blog/new-accept ... l-websites
You may find it enlightening - particularly about blocking "acceptable" ads:
https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#optout
I only update software when I decide I need to update the software ..and I am careful about settings.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."