OAS when spouse still works

Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs.
summerby
Newcomer
Newcomer

OAS when spouse still works

Post by summerby »

My spouse will still be working when I turn 65.
She earns about $55k annually...will this affect my OAS?

thx
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: OAS when spouse still works

Post by AltaRed »

OAS is not based on family income (not means tested). It is based on personal income.... so No.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

AltaRed wrote: 23 Feb 2018 18:42 OAS is not based on family income (not means tested). It is based on personal income.... so No.
AltaRed is correct in general. I do have one caveat. Once you turn 65, you will have enhanced opportunities for income splitting with your spouse, thereby lowering your effective tax rate. But if she is earning a significant amount, income splitting will become less attractive. If you split less income, your own income may put you into clawback range. Whether this is a consideration or not depends on your details, of course.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

If spouse is still working, do you really need the OAS to meet expenses? If not, consider deferring. Your benefit will increase by 0.6% for each month past 65 that you wait. The maximum bump is 36% for those who wait until 70.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

It would seem that you need a fairly simple spreadsheet to determine your best course of action.
For the fun of it...Keith